TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By Q-the-STORM
I've searched a bit and in some old threads (2-3 years old) you mentioned that you break in your plasmas before using/calibrating them...

1. Is this still true and necessary in general and also specifically for the Panasonic TX-P50VT50?

If it is:

2. Do you still use the break in DVD from eaprogramming?

And specifically for the Panasonic TX-P50VT50:

3. How many hours did you run the DVD on that panel?
Or if you got a panel that was already used before you got it (in an old thread you mentioned that you sometimes get those), how many hours would you recommend?

4. Do you run the DVD 24/7, or do you let the panel rest for a couple of hours a day?

5. What settings did you use and recommend while breaking in the panel?

And after the break-in period:

I will buy this TV in a couple of days (after I checked it out in person) and plan to use it with my Laptop as a multimedia player. If burn in is not an issue with this panel (after break in), I would use it as a regular PC screen as well, which means about 5-10 hours a day of displaying applications, taskbar and everything else that has a lot of static elements.

6. There will surely be image retention, but do you think that burn in is still an issue with this panel?
1. Yes, I still do it. 3D panels also tend to intesify retention issues so it is a good idea but not a must. I also do it to break-in the plasma which is necessary for our measurements and calibration suggestions that I provide in the tests. If we calibrate a TV without runnign the break-in the calibration values are not accurate.

2. Sometimes. And sometimes I use the built-in break-in patterns.

3. Depends on - as you say - if it has been running. I usually do it for 100-150 hours.

4. Sometimes but it depends on my office hours. I don't let it run over a weekend for example without checking up on it.

5. The standard or dynamic profile.

6. Np, burn-in is very rare so don't worry to much about it :-)
By marco.hdtv
I 'm sorry to disagree with Rasmus,
I purchased a Panasonic VT60 and a XT60 last year.
Both have now the TV's logos definitely burned in.