TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By AkRazor
I seriously doubt any 1080p model will include HEVC. Maybe 4K models.
By proyal
AkRazor wrote:I seriously doubt any 1080p model will include HEVC. Maybe 4K models.
If they use new chips then HEVC will simply replace the old hardware decoding module. It can also be done by driver update in some cases.

I am pretty sure i read somewhere that at least one manufacturer will have 1080p models in 2015 with HEVC.
By Rasmus Larsen
LG had HEVC decoders in all of its 1080p webOS models in 2014.

It also seems that all Android TV models will both HEVC and VP9 decoding - also in 1080p.

I also hope that more manufacturers will start using it in 1080p models.
By proyal
Rasmus Larsen wrote:LG had HEVC decoders in all of its 1080p webOS models in 2014.

It also seems that all Android TV models will both HEVC and VP9 decoding - also in 1080p.

I also hope that more manufacturers will start using it in 1080p models.
Thank you for the information.
HEVC and VP9 have the same effect on 1080p as in 4k and is helpful for the following reasons :

1. Current content will need only half the data to stream (for internet) and broadcasters can double the bit-rate of 1080p channels (more quality) for same bandwidth.

2. BluRay rips can be 2 times smaller or 2 times higher quality for same size.

I am still curios if you can play a video at full BluRay bit rate 1080p from a USB memory stick 50GB+. Will the TV hardware decoder be able to do it or will you see the film in slow motion / lagging behind.

Maybe you can find what SoC do these 2015 TVs use because the specification of these systems on a chip can reveal if they are capable or not.

If i remember correctly Samsung said in the manual of 2014 H6400 (that used the MediaTek chip) that high bit rate without a bluray player might make the soc unable to play it. Maybe you can test this via a usb memory stick with a full bit rate 1080p BluRay copy on it for 2015 full hd models.

HEVC & VP9 i hope will come to Samsung Tizen 1080p models too.

Panasonic doesn't use firefox for 1080p models this year so i have doubts it will support it but it all depends on what chip they use.

If LG used in 2014 for WebOS 1080p models HEVC then i am 100% sure they will do the same for 2015 models.
By Rasmus Larsen
It is not uncommon that TVs have a bitrate cap based on the hardware limitations. I can try to playback a high bitrate HEVC video via USB on the 2015 models. I just need to find one that I can also use for future testing. There are not many HEVC encoded videos out there at the moment.

I'm not sure that Samsung will have VP9 and HEVC in its 1080p Tizen models, but the 4K models will support both. Trying to get more info from Samsung but they're not telling much yet.

I don't believe that Panasonic will have HEVC in its 1080p models. They only mentioned it for the 4K models when they announced the new models on Monday. And no VP9 in any of the 2015 Panasonic TVs.
By proyal
Rasmus Larsen wrote:It is not uncommon that TVs have a bitrate cap based on the hardware limitations. I can try to playback a high bitrate HEVC video via USB on the 2015 models. I just need to find one that I can also use for future testing. There are not many HEVC encoded videos out there at the moment.

I'm not sure that Samsung will have VP9 and HEVC in its 1080p Tizen models, but the 4K models will support both. Trying to get more info from Samsung but they're not telling much yet.

I don't believe that Panasonic will have HEVC in its 1080p models. They only mentioned it for the 4K models when they announced the new models on Monday. And no VP9 in any of the 2015 Panasonic TVs.

For testing purposes :

HEVC 1080p bluray search by size : https://kickass.to/usearch/hevc%201080p ... order=desc

x265 1080p bluray search by size : https://kickass.to/usearch/x265%201080p ... order=desc

You have plenty !
Or simply type in search area x265 or HEVC but read the file descriptions so you get 1080p file and preferably BluRay not rips.

Also test normal x264 1080p full BluRay copy on a USB memory stick.

By size and 1080p bluray x264 : https://kickass.to/usearch/x264%201080p ... order=desc

Chose any around 50 GB from page 4+ ( i think BluRay currently sold has that capacity, but you would needs a USB stick with at least 50 GB too ).
By Rasmus Larsen
Thanks, but I prefer to use a short test clip that I can go over again and again on every TV :) One that can reveal potential problems in picture processing / shadow detailing and so on. I'm still looking for the perfect match.

The problem with using a Blu-ray movie is that it is encoded in H.264 / AVC on the disc so in order to do a HEVC version you are re-encoding an already lossy version, which is not optimal for testing purposes (other than confirming that the TV can decode the file and bitrate obviously).
Rasmus Larsen wrote:Thanks, but I prefer to use a short test clip that I can go over again and again on every TV :) One that can reveal potential problems in picture processing / shadow detailing and so on. I'm still looking for the perfect match.

The problem with using a Blu-ray movie is that it is encoded in H.264 / AVC on the disc so in order to do a HEVC version you are re-encoding an already lossy version, which is not optimal for testing purposes (other than confirmed that the TV can decode the file and bitrate obviously).
These ones may not be re-encoded from h264 since they come from digital distribution {WEB-DL} :

https://kickass.to/usearch/x265%20web-d ... order=desc

Many file sizes to chose from too.

On bluray disk, yes, it is re-encoded indeed. You are right.
By Rasmus Larsen
Thanks, I'll look into it.

I actually tried to rip some of the test clips that TV manufacturers use (and supply to reviewers on USB hard drives or a test player), but most of the time the devices are locked. I also noticed that a lot of the test clips used on 4K TVs at trade shows are actually high-bitrate mpeg2 videos :)
By proyal
Samsung considers Full HD trash so their full HD lineup will be very bad technologically this year compared to 2014 models.

No HEVC in Samsung J6300/J6200/J5500

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... WqnVrOWu2w

Better hope Sony uses HEVC on their 1080p and they get great results in tests.
I can't see any LG higher than 6 series either. So only cheap crap models on market this year.

The 8 and 7 series Full HD are missing from LG. Can you confirm this ?

Can you confirm if Sony Android TV will come with HEVC on 1080p models ?
By Rasmus Larsen
Sony just told us that the Full HD TVs with Android TV do not support HEVC or VP9. This is unfortunate, but I'm still not 100% convinced. Still digging a little.

Philips' Full HD TVs with Android TV support HEVC (but not VP9)
proyal wrote:The 8 and 7 series Full HD are missing from LG. Can you confirm this ?
Yes true. I can confirm that there are no 7 or 8 series Full HD TVs. Only 6, 5 and 4 series will use HEVC.

A full overview of LG's 2015 TVs will come online here on FlatpanelsHD very soon.