TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By robgreen99
Hello I suffer with Severe Chronic migraines and I effected by PWM. I just replaced my 32 LCD TV with a 32 LED TV and now my migraines are a lot worse and I am convince this is due to PWM.

I am playing around with my settings of my TV.

I read the lower the brightness setting is the worse PWM will be but what about the backlight setting? does that have any effect on PWM. I have turned my backlight right down but I am worried I have made the PWM worse?

Thanks
By Rasmus Larsen
It's the backlight settings that affects PWM on TVs. If the TV uses PWM it will likely do so at all values below 100 for the backlight setting.

You can test whether the TV uses PWM with the method outlined here:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?s ... 1362457985

Most TVs do so I would assume it is the case. Sony at one point produced LCD TVs without PWM but I'm not sure if they still do.
By robgreen99
this is where I am confused as on my TV I have a brightness and backlight option.

I thought the brightness effected PWM and not the backlight but thanks for confirming
By Rasmus Larsen
Usually, in TVs, the backlight setting controls the LED (or backlight). For monitors on the other hand 'brightness' often controls the backlight intensity. It's a little confusing that the industry sometimes uses the two interchangeably.
By robgreen99
Great thanks. So I should keep the backlight at 100% for PWM not to be as bad?