A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By reqq
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
reqq wrote:Nice review, however i still cant understand what exactly black level means. 0,16 U2311 got and 0.18 did the u2411 have. You also stated in the review u2311 have better blacks then the u2411. If you look at the pictures you can see that u2311 does indeed have somewhat better blacks. However in all pictures U2311 lacks detail in dark areas compared to u2411. Better blacks should be better blacks BUT without loss of detail. Whats the meaning of having better blacks if you loose detail, thats not better blacks for me. Its the same on many TV tests you have done. They are showing impressive blacks but alot of detail is missing. This subject is very confusing for me. This isnt something about your review, basically every review on other sitse that shows screenshots from tests have lacking details in dark areas.

I also can lower brightness yada yada and get sick blacks but i will loose detail by doing it.
Yes you're right. A deep black level is nothing without details in the dark colors. When we wirte black level we mean the luminance of the black color.

What you're refering to is the aspect we call shadow details. The term "shadow details" covers the gradation of dark colors and therefore details in dark colors.

U2311H has better shadow detailing than U2410. Be careful not to judge screens 100 % from pictures. The pictures are shot with a Canon EOS but it's still not very accurate and a lot of details especially in dark colors are lost depending on the shutter time we use.
Thanks for the answer.
By alan_b
Thanks for a good review. I have another question:
Since the U2410 is larger, but has tighter resolution (1920x1200) compared to the U2311 (1920x1080), which monitor would actually display larger characters at native resolution? And is the difference in the size of characters significant between these two monitors? My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I don't like fonts that are too small.

Thanks in advance.
By asergi
As a previous commenter suggested, I too am debating between this fine Dell monitor and the NEC EA231WMI monitor. Overall, which might you recommend for video editing? Thanks!
By M. Mulder
I'm also thinking which monitor will be better (is the best):

Is there a better monitor at this moment under the 500 euro's? Or is the Dell Ultrasharp U23111H the best for picturequality (incl. Web - Office)?
By chopperbott
I am considering to get a U2311H as well. I have a 2209WA, but it was pretty hot comparing to my other old TN monitors (even in air-conditioned room). :( And U2311H and 2209WA have same panel (according to the Dell sales). I am wondering do they have the same heat problem?
By Kyori
Same observation here, U2311's gamma is set too low.

I adjusted my software gamma up by 15% and has improved shadow detailing a bit while not sacrificing details on brighter areas.
By reveal
Rasmus Larsen wrote:Yeah, I agree. The U2311H is very good value and personally I prefer it over all TN panels (except for 120 Hz if you're a serious gamer).

Yeah, it's hard to say. I think that 2209WA is a bit better because of the better contrast viewing angles but I think that I would prefer the higher resolution on U2311H. Besides that the two monitors are pretty similar with only minor differences.
But I also think it depends on usage. If people are using the U2311H in bright rooms the contradt reduction is not really a serious problem but if you're a photographer or graphic artist that mostly work in light controlled environments - ie. a dark room in the basement - the contrast reduction is a problem.

Hi Rasmus,

Thank you for the review.
I recently (last month) purchased the 2209wa mainly because of the reviews of the u2311h and the contrast issues as well as reports of the "frosted glass" being visible.

Unfortunately the 2209wa that I received (after waiting 5 weeks for production) has the "frosted glass" as well as side viewing contrast issues. I did not expect this to be the case so I am wondering if you (and others here) could verify that the older 2209wa panels did not have any visible "frost" on the anti glare glass which seems to cause the contrast issues.

Many thanks.
By thetrystero
The 2209WA costs only about USD15 more than the U2311H here in Malaysia.
Which one should I go for?

I use my computer mainly for movies, and some music production and web design.
Should I give up color reproduction for the extra real estate or vice versa?
By krish
Heyyy Hello Rasmussen.

I like your reviews (it is a shame but we panel fan types have to ONLY rely on these virtual reviews b/c it is SO hard to SEE the panel of your choice (especially here in India, shops carry the IPS but they are in closed boxes, no demo units).

I had one small (significant?) point about your dell u2311 review. It is said that it uses the LG LM230wf panel. If you go to LG Panel sub-corporation website they say that this panel is 6 (SIX) BIT!! NOT EIGHT. This may be why in india this panel is CHEAPER (only Rs 15,000) than dell 2209wa (Rs 16700) !!!! BUYER CAVEAAT EMPTORE.!!

Please check http://ipslcd.com/en/front/product/monitor_2.jsp

click on the "full HD 23W" LINK/PANEL u will see the spec from the source!

pleasse rsvp.

thanks.
Last edited by krish on 05 Nov 2010, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
By krish
:/ PS. what do u think is better? Samsung PX2370 or dell U2311 or dell 2209wa? this is my final choice!!! any help appreciated. thanks again..
By krish
chopperbott wrote:I am considering to get a U2311H as well. I have a 2209WA, but it was pretty hot comparing to my other old TN monitors (even in air-conditioned room). :( And U2311H and 2209WA have same panel (according to the Dell sales). I am wondering do they have the same heat problem?
:(( OH NO! I think there is some "smoke" to your remarks chipperbott, ("where ther'es smoke, there's fire")

I saw these TWO STAR reviews about LGW2452T IPS unit on AMAZON.COM:

(1)http://www.amazon.com/LG-W2452T-24-Inch ... addTwoStar

BOTH reviewers giving two stars complain about HEAT problems!! Excerpt::

This review is from: LG W2452T 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor (Personal Computers)
I've had my LG W2452T for about 6 months now. Until a few days ago, I would have highly recommended this product. The color, contrast, etc are all great. The price is pretty good for what you get as well. The only bad thing out of the box is its casing: its seems like really cheap plastic.

However, I can no longer recommend this product at all. After 6 months of perfect operation, it seems to be failing. A few days ago it started to randomly flicker: it would go blank (not black, blank) and then come back a second or two later. At first I thought it was the video card or the drivers; but after some major troubleshooting I think the problem is the monitor itself. It seems to be overheating which is causing these problems: the flickering only starts after using the monitor for a while, then the flickers increase in frequency. I've ultimately "solved" the problem by placing a small fan at its back (it heats up mostly at the top) and the problems have gone away. To me this is not an acceptable solution, but its out of warranty and I may as well buy a new monitor rather than get it repaired.

I cannot say if this problem is common to all units or if it was just my bad luck to get a defective one, but its something to consider for other buyers.

UPDATE: I finally decided to try and get the monitor repaired after the flicker issue mentioned above became intolerable. I was prepared to pay for it: it turns out that even though there is only a 90 day warranty for service, there is a 1 year warranty on parts. I assumed this meant I would be paying for the work. To my surprise, LG took the old unit and sent me a completely new replacement (not refurbished) with no questions asked. They even paid for both shipments: the new one to me and for the broken unit to be shipped back to them. Great service from LG. I would upgrade my rating to 5 stars if amazon.com would allow it.

OPEN QUESTION FOR Mr. RASSMUSSEN: Does IPS tech have HEAT problem?? if soo.....India is a relatively HOT country then I won't buy! :( WARNING TO ASIAN USERS.
By mircea
Hi there. Happy new year, first at all :)

After I see yours recommendation for 2010 ( http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?s ... 1229341472 ), I would like to ask if you prefer 2209WA than U2311H? The U2311H was a A00 or A01 version?
On A01 would you think that LG (panel) from U2311H it is an improved version?

My girlfriend has a 2209wa and she love his monitor.

The main use is photography. (for both of us)
I want to take one of this monitor this days, maybe tomorrow.
Thank you for your time and your answer in advice (private or online response please)

Mircea
By sodi
The Dell U2311H is not a LED backlit monitor isn't it? Does this make it inferior to other LED backlit LCDs?
By aLcHy
Hi guys,

I just wanted to know whether the U2311H is better when compared to the LG E2370V BF which was launched recently and is using the same IPS panel that is used in the Dell as well as the HP model. I was sure about getting the Dell U2311H but now that I saw this model which has the THRU MODE which reduces the input lag and improves response times greatly (I am a semi serious Gamer), I just wanted to know whether it is better than the Dell's 2311H or should I go for some other IPS screen. Gaming is not my profession so I don't need the 120Hz TN panel.

Awaiting your feedbacks eagerly....

Thanks a lot...