A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By anthony5362
Thanks for the great review!! I'm kinda bummed that I wasted so much money on my 2012 Samsung's, because I was told before i bought them, that they will be able to be upgraded to having an even "better" picture quality if I bought some kit in 2013 that's now on Amazon for $400!. and now I hear that Samsung confirmed that this "Evolution kit" will "NOT" improve the picture, and is now being called the "Smart Evolution kit" and has nothing to do with picture quality.

But I've also been hearing that the new 2013 "Samsung F8500" plasma will be able to be upgraded next year to have an even "better" picture quality next year. I was all set on buying the Panasonic this year, but not if the new Samsung's picture quality can be upgraded to and even "better" picture. i mean, the way some are making it sound, that next year, the F8500 can evolve into a "4k plasma" lol!

Darn it! Why can't Panasonic come out with some future kit like this that can make it evolve each year for the next 5-7 years with the new technology? I don't know what to buy now. What I do know is that, $400 is a lot of money to have to spend every year for this "Smart Evolution kit" the Samsung's have. I'm just confused :(

I also heard that Samsung's using "PenTile" displays on some of their models. I wonder which ones? I most definitely do "NOT" want one of those, and glad the Panasonic's don't use this type of display.
By wesslan
I find it interesting all other european professional reviewers have found that VT60 has better input lag than VT50 but not you?

VT50
Hdtvtest 28ms
Flatpanelshd 24-28ms
(Leo Bodnar lag test AVforums 47ms)

VT60/65
Hdtvtest 23ms
Flatpanelshd 24-30ms
(Leo Bodnar lag test hdtvtest 41,5ms and AVforums 40,3ms)
By *Alucard*
Rasmus Larsen wrote:The Panasonic VT60 review is now online. VT60 is Panasonic's new high-end plasma TV with the most advanced picture systems, a new plasma panel and the revamped Smart Viera platform.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php? ... 1368523071

If you have questions please use this thread.

Enjoy 8-)
Thanks for great review. do you have any information about peak brightness on dynamic or other modes like ST60?
By Rasmus Larsen
wesslan wrote:I find it interesting all other european professional reviewers have found that VT60 has better input lag than VT50 but not you?

VT50
Hdtvtest 28ms
Flatpanelshd 24-28ms
(Leo Bodnar lag test AVforums 47ms)

VT60/65
Hdtvtest 23ms
Flatpanelshd 24-30ms
(Leo Bodnar lag test hdtvtest 41,5ms and AVforums 40,3ms)
Don't know why. But input lag can vary by some ms depending on the method used to measure it. We have used the same method on VT50 and VT60. We prefer to offer an interval instead of an absolute number due to this.
By Rasmus Larsen
anthony5362 wrote:Darn it! Why can't Panasonic come out with some future kit like this that can make it evolve each year for the next 5-7 years with the new technology? I don't know what to buy now. What I do know is that, $400 is a lot of money to have to spend every year for this "Smart Evolution kit" the Samsung's have. I'm just confused.
In theory it is a good idea but let's see how it shapes up for Samsung in the long run. We have not heard of similar initiatives from any other manufacturers.

But just to confirm it here as well. I have had confirmed from Samsung technicians and official PR folks that the Evolution Kit has nothing to say for picture quality (except possibly for example YouTube decoding and other web based services). It is simply a faster processor for the Smart Hub.
By Rasmus Larsen
*Alucard* wrote:
Rasmus Larsen wrote:The Panasonic VT60 review is now online. VT60 is Panasonic's new high-end plasma TV with the most advanced picture systems, a new plasma panel and the revamped Smart Viera platform.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php? ... 1368523071

If you have questions please use this thread.

Enjoy 8-)
Thanks for great review. do you have any information about peak brightness on dynamic or other modes like ST60?
I'm not sure. I think I did it on VT60 as well but I can't seem to find it right now. Will go through my notes later today.
By Rasmus Larsen
I found them. Here are the brightness measurement numbers:

Dymamic profile: 100 % fullscreen white = 50 cd/m2 --- window = 149 cd/m2 (177 cd/m2 with all-black background)
THX Cinema profile: 100 % fullscreen white = 51 cd/m2 --- window = 115 cd/m2 (97 cd/m2 with all-black background)
THX Bright Room: 100 % fullscreen white = 51 cd/m2 --- window = 151 cd/m2 (150 cd/m2 with all-black background)

Luminance level setting:
Low: 80 cd/m2
Mid: 107 cd/m2
High: 102 cd/m2
By Rasmus Larsen
Someone also asked about line bleeding and dirty screen and it was pretty much the same as on ST60. Line bleeding is still visible in some instances.
By tomhd
Excellent reviews,

So, to sum up apart from the design etc. if we have full calibrated ST60 vs VT60 is there any visible difference in PQ?
I have a filling that none or almost none, am I right? Actually, ST60 seems to be even brighter. So, tell me please does it make sense to spend so much more on VT60 if everything what I need is just PQ?
Cheers,
By wesslan
Just got my 65" VT60, damn it's huge :D Had a 50" before.

Rasmus, if and when connecting the tv to a PC what would be the correct settings for HDMI RGB Range?

If one thinks default THX cinema has to much color (faces and such) can one adjust that with color temperature or just dial down colorsetting or does that mess with the whole?
By enrique
Hi Rasmus,

first of all, thanx for your great review!

I am deciding between 65VT or 65ST. and there are a couple of issues that bother me, I hope yo can help me:

1.- air gap between glass - panel

I currently own a P50V10, which had black deterioration issues and also is one-sheet of glass design, so I can see double image from the sides. This design is the same for VT60, but not for the ST60, which does not have any gap between the panel and the front filter, like ZT60.

Is this a real problem in VT60? how does this fact compare to ST60?

2.- luminance levels

VT60 may be one or two notches better than ST60, but if luminance is much lower maybe the resulting image may not be worth, providing the ST60 much more "punch" than the VT, is this the case ? I am wondering if regarding luminance levels, what's happening with Samsung PS64F8500 in respect to Panasonic plasmas could be the same as ST60 in respect to VT60...

Thanx a lot for your help
Best regards
Enrique
By Rasmus Larsen
wesslan wrote:Just got my 65" VT60, damn it's huge :D Had a 50" before.

Rasmus, if and when connecting the tv to a PC what would be the correct settings for HDMI RGB Range?

If one thinks default THX cinema has to much color (faces and such) can one adjust that with color temperature or just dial down colorsetting or does that mess with the whole?
Depends on the PC but first of all you need to consider if you want to run the PC as a "PC" or a media center for video playback. If you want VT60 to act as a PC monitor you can output a PC signal from your graphic card (see the graphic card settings) and then remember to tell the TV that on the HDMI input where the PC is connected the TV should use PC color levels (can be selected for each input in the menus). If you want your PC to acts as a media center send out "video level colors" and leave the TV settings unchanged :)

Congratulations on the new TV.
By Rasmus Larsen
enrique wrote:1.- air gap between glass - panel

I currently own a P50V10, which had black deterioration issues and also is one-sheet of glass design, so I can see double image from the sides. This design is the same for VT60, but not for the ST60, which does not have any gap between the panel and the front filter, like ZT60.

Is this a real problem in VT60? how does this fact compare to ST60?

2.- luminance levels

VT60 may be one or two notches better than ST60, but if luminance is much lower maybe the resulting image may not be worth, providing the ST60 much more "punch" than the VT, is this the case ? I am wondering if regarding luminance levels, what's happening with Samsung PS64F8500 in respect to Panasonic plasmas could be the same as ST60 in respect to VT60...
1. No, it is not a problem. At least I don't think so. The one-sheet-of-glass design was very different in the V10 because the actual panel had air gaps. VT60 has no such in-panel air gaps.

2. I think the louver filter works great to reduce in-panel reflections so the final outcome is probably the same as the ST60 has no such filter. And besides that, luminance levels are not that different on the TV.

Samsung's F8500 should have higher luminance than Panasonic's plasma TVs. We will confirm that in our F8500 review soon :)
By Rasmus Larsen
I think VT60 still offers an improvement. Not only because of the improved filter but also in areas such as color accuracy and a few others. But I also believe that it is a relatively minor step up relative to the price difference.

ST60 is an excellent TV, nothing less. And yes, it can get even brighter but it lacks the filter so VT60 is still a better performer in brightly lit rooms.