A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Torben Rasmussen
It wasn't a replacement set. We just got a chance to see the 65" at a store and bring some equipment with us for measuring.

The RGB and gamma curve looked exactly the same for the 65". The store wasn't dim enough to evaluate clouding or viewing angles.

I will add the comments to the review, but there is little point in posting the RGB measurements. If I was to redo the calibration I would probably go for the Movie profile instead to avoid tuning the contrast lever.
By Jamessh1
Torben Rasmussen wrote:It wasn't a replacement set. We just got a chance to see the 65" at a store and bring some equipment with us for measuring.

The RGB and gamma curve looked exactly the same for the 65". The store wasn't dim enough to evaluate clouding or viewing angles.

I will add the comments to the review, but there is little point in posting the RGB measurements. If I was to redo the calibration I would probably go for the Movie profile instead to avoid tuning the contrast lever.
The gamma curve issues are noted by owners with calibration tools that found using APL patterns for tuning with max dimming on was the only way to maintain a mostly linear gamma curve and color accuracy while getting maximum contrast . Shame you won't have the ability to try similar methodology since the TV might be a bit more capable than your testing produced.

Anyways thanks for the update.
By Torben Rasmussen
I did use an APL pattern, but not with the dynamic backlight turned on. The RGB curve is shown in the attachment for the "Movie" profile. The THX profile is worse than this. (I didn't tweak anything here - just measured the profile).

As I wouldn't run the TV with the dynamic backlight turned on I don't agree that our measurings are not representative.
Attachments
65CX800RGB.JPG
65CX800RGB.JPG (61.29 KiB) Viewed 30347 times
By Pixelz
I will buy a 4K TV soon (replacing my hd-ready Panasonic 42" plasma) and was thinking of the TC-50CX800 as it has a reasonably good price for its features. Since you tested the 65" model and was not too enthusiastic about viewing angles I was wondering if I should reconsider. Might the viewing angle issue be less of an issue on the 50" or would the Sony 55X85C be a better option despite its Android TV bugs?
By Torben Rasmussen
Viewing angles on VA-panels will always be a pain no matter which model you choose. We couldn't really test the viewing angles on the 65" CX800 as we only got a chance to look at it in a shop - we reviewed the 55" - so I can't give you a clear answer if this is any different between the two sizes.
By Rasmus Larsen
The promised firmware update to enable HDR on the US CX850 has finally been released. Check Panasonic's US support site to find the file (has to be installed via USB).

You can thank Craig Hubler, the owner of a Panasonic TC-55CX850U, for this. After months of trying to obtain the relevant update file, he went directly to the CEO of Panasonic USA. Shortly after, the company finally posted the update files to the US support site.