A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By john martin
Ok fair enough. It just seemed a little short looking at it from the outside.
That ACE or DCE works a lot better than older versions though. He has a point there.
The advanced contrast enhancer (dynamic contrast enhancer-2015/16 UHD sets) used to make the backlight fluctuate something awful. It was unuseable... until 2014. Now even on HD sets, it works a lot like was intended imo.

On a low or medium setting SDR, the x930c & x850c-using the AMVA3 panel, is now a very decent watch, with a very acceptable small bit of black crush/detail loss. The images hover over a pitch black background. Serious improvements with coloured images over a uniform velvet black sheet. like the way OLED works by default, but for a small degree of luminance.
On standard HDR I would imagine it is a bit different due to the backlight going from very low to very high and vice-versa on a 400cd m2 limited light panel. But IPS and HDR in the future... I'm not too sure there. :-)

Thanks for reply Rasmus. :)
By Kuschelmonschter
I also learned now that all models from March 2016 (XD85, XD93, XD94) are based on the same hardware platform as last year's models. Also there is still no Marshmallow opposed to what has been announced at CES.

The new entry-level models which have been released this month (XD80/XD84, XD70/XD75) do have the new hardware plattform with 64-bit Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 and Mali T860 graphics, and therefore also VP9-profile 2 support.

This means that the affordable flagship models this year, which can actually reproduce HDR due to local dimming, come with the slow platform of last year and lack VP9-profile 2 decoding, while the entry-level models do get the fast platform with VP9-profile 2 decoding. WTF? This is just 3-4 months in between the releases and the March models are already outdated?

This is serious missmanagement on Sony's behalf in my opinion and I think you should clarify this on your homepage. But please do not delete the old information!
By Rasmus Larsen
Kuschelmonschter: That sounds pretty bad. Especially considering that Sony promised VP9 Profile 2 support for the XD94, 93 and 85 models at CES. Where do you have this information from?
By GabrielC
Read the review and I for one would really like a review of Sony's newer XD70, XD80 and XD83 tvs. From what I could gather the processors and different, probably better? The XD has direct led, that I would prefer in favor of thinner design. Also, there's Marshmallow.
By Rasmus Larsen
Unfortunately, the new SoCis not a significant improvement. Hopefully we'll get something better in 2017.

We have no plans to review XD70, XD80 or XD83, sorry.
By ImreTamás
I know this review is nearly a year old, but can you tell me how do you manage the 0.3w standby? As you have mentioned in the review with remote start the standby consumption is 20w. You start the TV with remote unless you unplug it...
By Kuschelmonschter
Remote start isn't really the problem. After you hit that power button, the SoC and Android might stay awake for a rather long period of time. Nobody knows for how long and what it really depends on. If you use the integrated tuners, it will for example perform a scan to update services and EPG...

You will find some more details inside my own review.
By ImreTamás
Thanks for the information. I will try to turn off these settings. Do you know how much does it help? Normally I just keep the TV unplugged, but it takes ages ( around a 30-40 sec and a little bit sluggish for another minute) for the system to reboot on my xd83. But I need to sacrifice time to save some energy...