A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By pgice
LOL
one of the most biased reviewes i have ever seen.
take a look at AV forum for their KS series reviewes to get a "proper" score.
this is a joke.

this tv does so many things better than the OLEDs from LG.
it seems that you ignore it here
I got this tv for 3 days now.
At first i was really happy with it, but since I've been watching some series on it, I'm starting to dislike this tv.

I switched off every backlight option like dynamic contrast, eco led, etc etc. But still I can clearly see the light change, as if dynamic contrast is still on. I see this when going from a dark seen to bright. Then I see the light just going up brighter, very noticeable on the subtitles (from not so bright white to very bright!).

I really hate this. It annoys the f$&k out of me, cause I paid a lot for this tv.
I'm thinking of returning it.

Any one know a good alternative?
pgice wrote:LOL
this is a joke.

Are we talking about the same TV? Sure you're not confusing KS8000 with the FALD KS9800?

KS8000 is surely not in the same league as OLED...
Bokkoman wrote:I switched off every backlight option like dynamic contrast, eco led, etc etc. But still I can clearly see the light change, as if dynamic contrast is still on. I see this when going from a dark seen to bright. Then I see the light just going up brighter, very noticeable on the subtitles (from not so bright white to very bright!).
Have you also tried adjusting the 'Smart LED' setting?
Bokkoman wrote:Any one know a good alternative?
Alternatives in the same class would be TVs like Sony X93D (XD93 in Europe) and Panasonic DX750. But most edge lit LCDs use various forms of dynamic contrast / backlight control.
By Bokkoman
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
Bokkoman wrote:I switched off every backlight option like dynamic contrast, eco led, etc etc. But still I can clearly see the light change, as if dynamic contrast is still on. I see this when going from a dark seen to bright. Then I see the light just going up brighter, very noticeable on the subtitles (from not so bright white to very bright!).
Have you also tried adjusting the 'Smart LED' setting?
Bokkoman wrote:Any one know a good alternative?
Alternatives in the same class would be TVs like Sony X93D (XD93 in Europe) and Panasonic DX750. But most edge lit LCDs use various forms of dynamic contrast / backlight control.
Before this tv I had a sony 65x8000b. The light on this tv was constantly the same, never any noticeable backlight change.
On this tv it just looks like the light is responding too slow. Didn't you notice that?
I turned off the smart led (and everything else), in game mode I see the same results.
I did try to replicate the issue you are talking about, but as soon as I dialed the LED dynamic backlight down to "Low" the issue seemed to go away. Are you engaging Dynamic Contrast or is that disabled as well?
pgice wrote:LOL
this is a joke.

AV Forums (or AVS Forum?) hasn't reviewed the KS8000 model? Rthings has?

Have you had both the KS8000 and the OLED at home? Which things do you think the KS8000 does better?
Rasmus Larsen wrote: KS8000 is surely not in the same league as OLED..
That's sure, but your entire review and comparison are based on UHD HDR signals that are not the sources that we can use at moment, the most part of tv series, bluray movies, sat/dtt broadcast are in fullhd and often the bitrate is not enough to ensure picture quality, unfortunately this is the truth

so apart the bluray UHD HDR, it's your opinion that even in that cases the Oled LG is better than a samsung lcd?

what about football events?

leaving the perfect black is the LG's image processing on par with Samsung / Sony / Panasonic?
Torben Rasmussen wrote:I did try to replicate the issue you are talking about, but as soon as I dialed the LED dynamic backlight down to "Low" the issue seemed to go away. Are you engaging Dynamic Contrast or is that disabled as well?
Clean digital view is off
Auto motion is off
Smart LED is off
Hdmi uhd color is off
Hdmi black level is set to normal
Dynamic contrast is off

Eco sensor is off
Saving mode is off

So I think that is all there is to it that has something to do with backlight.
So when watching a movie or series (kodi) and the scene is very dark, the subtitles look greyish. When the scene turns bright all of a sudden, I see the backlight change and subtitles turn bright white.

Besides that, my tv is broken anyway. Maybe that is causing the problem, but I don't think so. A repair guy came today, be said it was the fault in transport ava it probably won't included in the warranty (if I'm saying this right). So the shop would have to give me a new one, since they put it up on my tv stand.

I'll try to show it soon, taking some pictures/video about my problem.

Thanks for trying to replicate it!
Birtollo wrote:
Rasmus Larsen wrote: KS8000 is surely not in the same league as OLED..
That's sure, but your entire review and comparison are based on UHD HDR signals that are not the sources that we can use at moment, the most part of tv series, bluray movies, sat/dtt broadcast are in fullhd and often the bitrate is not enough to ensure picture quality, unfortunately this is the truth

so apart the bluray UHD HDR, it's your opinion that even in that cases the Oled LG is better than a samsung lcd?

what about football events?

leaving the perfect black is the LG's image processing on par with Samsung / Sony / Panasonic?
In terms of motion I would rate the OLED the same as KS8. True, if you engage Auto Motion on Samsung, you will get a lot more detail in moving objects than on the LG OLED, but then you get soap opera effect so it doesn't really count in my book. You might disagree and prefer this effect, but then we aren't discussing the matter on a common ground. On the preffered settings of motion systems both will provide about the same experience in e.g. sports broadcasts.

The Samsung doesn't turn low bitrate material into gold perceivably better than the LG does, and I would rate the signal handling to be good on both of them.
Bokkoman wrote:When I use your settings, white isn't really white. Colors look really good though. Is this normal? White looks a little warm.
We aim for a 6500 Kelvin white point, optimal for a dark viewing environment. 6500 Kelvin is a little warm in the tone, yes.
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
Bokkoman wrote:When I use your settings, white isn't really white. Colors look really good though. Is this normal? White looks a little warm.
We aim for a 6500 Kelvin white point, optimal for a dark viewing environment. 6500 Kelvin is a little warm in the tone, yes.
Do you also have settings for viewing in daylight?