A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Danny80
Kuschelmonschter wrote:
If your only concern is image quality, go for it, otherwise read my review about Sony Android TV.
What really confused me is the “Everything 60Hz” section of your review. Does this mean that every time I use Kodi (or even Sony’s pre-installed media player) to watch a movie via USB drive I’ll get either judder or Soap Opera Effect??
By Kuschelmonschter
Does this mean that every time I use Kodi (or even Sony’s pre-installed media player) to watch a movie via USB drive I’ll get either judder or Soap Opera Effect??
Have you ever compared 24p movie playback at 60Hz and 24Hz (on a 120Hz panel with a 5:5)? A 24p movie has some inherent judder due to the low frame rate. To my eyes a 3:2 pulldown on a 60Hz screen does not add much to that. That's why I think that the 24p issue is overhyped. Playing PAL at 60Hz hurts much more.

Motion interpolation does not necessarily imply a soap opera effect. It of course happens when you interpolate 50/60fps or even 24/25/30fps all the way up to 100/120fps. But what if you just frame rate convert from 24 to 25fps and just display every frame for 2 resp. 4 refresh cycles to get to your 50 resp. 100Hz? No soap opera. You can parametrize a Sony in that regard. Put the motion smoothness slider in the middle and there won't be any pronounced soap opera effect while reducing judder.

At least that's my opinion. But as I said so many times, I am no purist.
By Danny80
Thank you for your reply Kuschelmonschter.

It's just that I'm rather sensitive to every sign of judder/stutter and want a TV with as smooth motion as possible. I can spend up to 2000 euros and my first choice was LG B7 but recently found out about possible motion problems on 1080i video (although flatpanelshd don't confirm). Another choice would be Sony XE9305 but your Android review discouraged me a bit.
It seems I can't decide which TV to buy!
By Onaga
Do you guys left oled light at 60 for a dark room to??

the eye strein is killing me, i watch mvoies most of the time in a very dark room