A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By spotko.orascic
Thanks for the great review! Just a question about DCI coverage, the producer says 99% and other review put it (close to that) there but you got 95%? Is it a sample thing? Also, the score of 95% for PQ, is it driven down by the the fact it doesn't support any dynamic metadata or that doesn't impact that score?

Dissapointing to hear about YT 4K HDR not working, hope it gets fixed w 7.0 or I just pick up an Apple 4K.

I ordered the TV last week with delivery in couple of weeks, hope it won't dissapoint (after my current edge-lit LED).
By Kuschelmonschter
Philips uses the Android TV MediaTek SoC. The driver only supports the official Android passthrough API for AC3/E-AC3 (ENCODING_AC3/ENCODING_E_AC3). It does not support DTS (ENCODING_DTS). Neither does it support the new low-level passthrough API ENCODING_IEC61937.

So 3rd party applications might not work properly concerning passthrough.
By joan.esteve
Kuschelmonschter wrote:Philips uses the Android TV MediaTek SoC. The driver only supports the official Android passthrough API for AC3/E-AC3 (ENCODING_AC3/ENCODING_E_AC3). It does not support DTS (ENCODING_DTS). Neither does it support the new low-level passthrough API ENCODING_IEC61937.

So 3rd party applications might not work properly concerning passthrough.
You are talking about internal Android Apps, it insn't? Do you mean that Kodi isn't able to passthrought audio?

What about Xbox One audio passthrought? Or any HDMI device? I don't have an AV 4K HDR device.

Thanks a lot.
By Kuschelmonschter
I am talking about apps, yes. Kodi indeed shows one or the other problem with passthrough on MediaTek based devices as drivers are quite flaky. Passthrough of external HDMI devices should work.
Last edited by Kuschelmonschter on 15 Sep 2017, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
By andrej.dokl
I do not understand how he got a worse rating than the Lg model in terms of image quality.?
I can say firsthand that Philips is better.
Philips Picture quality 95% Lg 97%..?
By Rasmus Larsen
spotko.orascic wrote:Thanks for the great review! Just a question about DCI coverage, the producer says 99% and other review put it (close to that) there but you got 95%? Is it a sample thing? Also, the score of 95% for PQ, is it driven down by the the fact it doesn't support any dynamic metadata or that doesn't impact that score?
LG's 99% spec is a little optimistic, I think. We generally measure between 95-97% on 2016/2017 OLED panels. These are relatively small variations that come down mostly to CMS (color managements system) settings. It should be possibly to get POS9002 to 96% by sacrifizing a little color accuracy but in the end the difference is almost impossible to see.

Your are right about the 95% picture quality score. It gained a little by having slightly better motion than LG's but lost some points due to, amongst other things, its missing support for dynamic metadate based HDR formats. Especially Dolby Vision is gaining ground and the dynamic metadata system helps it deliver a visible improvement to HDR.

You can compare our HDR measurements in our list of the best HDR TVs here: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?su ... 1503292479
spotko.orascic wrote:Dissapointing to hear about YT 4K HDR not working, hope it gets fixed w 7.0 or I just pick up an Apple 4K.

I ordered the TV last week with delivery in couple of weeks, hope it won't dissapoint (after my current edge-lit LED).
Sony Andorid TVs also lack YouTube HDR but it's support on some Samsung and LG TVs. It's a mess, really. I can't fathom why Google is not prioritizing Android TV - or at least bringing it up to speed. Kuschelmonschter will tell you all about it.

Good luck with your new TV! :)
By Rasmus Larsen
andrej.dokl wrote:I do not understand how he got a worse rating than the Lg model in terms of image quality.?
I can say firsthand that Philips is better.
Philips Picture quality 95% Lg 97%..?
One reason is missing support for a dynamic metadata based HDR format. HDR is an important development so TV manufacturers need to keep pace. Also see my answer to spotko.orascic.

A few other things that affected the picture quality score:
- Some uniformity issues in darkest tones (more than LG)
- Not as accurate colors as not (and no advanced settings to correct this)
- Not as low input lag as LG
By Rasmus Larsen
The Android 7.0 update is expected to be pushed out later this year. TP Vision has yet to comment on its plans for Android 8.0 that will introduce a new TV user interface.
By Kuschelmonschter
Sony Andorid TVs also lack YouTube HDR but it's support on some Samsung and LG TVs. It's a mess, really. I can't fathom why Google is not prioritizing Android TV - or at least bringing it up to speed. Kuschelmonschter will tell you all about it.
Android TV is a total mess. However, as for YouTube HDR, I am not entirely sure whether this is not a MediaTek issues, not implementing the most recent HDR APIs introduced with Nougat. YouTube might require those.

MediaTek has a history of not implementing the most recent TV APIs. Also see passthrough. Also in the mobile space, MediaTek is known for cheap shit. It is the same on the TV. Slow, buggy and already outdated on purchase day.

But also the care that Google puts into their own TV OS is underwhelming. Just look at the recently released YouTube 2.0, moving from a truely native Android TV app to a WebView.
Or the Android TV remote control app on iOS which has totally been broken for months already. Actually it never worked properly.

You might want to read more about it in my own review. Most things inside apply to Philips as well, as apart from the panel, it is almost the same as Sony...
By spotko.orascic
I agree, a proper Qualcomm chipset would always be preferred for android. But native apps are key. I've gotten used on my 2013 Sammy to not need a separate "smart" device but I am not sure I can pull it off here, but I'll give it a shot and hope 7.0 fixes the basics. In the worst case I'll add Apple TV 4K.
By Mamaw
Dissapointing to hear about YT 4K HDR not working, hope it gets fixed w 7.0 or I just pick up an Apple 4K
It is confirmed that the Apple TV 4k is capable of 4K HDR YouTube video?
Is the new Apple TV capable of VP9 decoding?
If not I have the impression that we will never see 4K YouTube on the Apple TV.