A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Rasmus Larsen
saito1234 wrote:Nice review!
Is this monitor a better choice than Samsung XL2370 for watching movies?
Yes, it's definitely a better monitor for movies than XL2370 with TN panel. :)
By Guest
Hi Rasmus,

thank you for your honest review. It has been eagerly awaited by quite some people
(e.g. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=4 ... &t=1518544 and http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 42584.html) and your opinions seem to confirm what the general consensus currently is: this is a good monitor with one serious flaw. For the price, however, you won't do much better at the moment, especially if you want to avoid the garbage that is TN film. Who knows, they might fix the issue in the next revision (although I am not holding my breath :-)

What I'd like to know now, though, is this: do you think it would be worth getting the 2209wa while it's still available, instead of the U2311h? This would mean sacrificing some of the resolution, but would the panel be "better"? Judging from your pictures, the U2410 has a much more natural look. Has the 2209wa got the same feel panel?
By Rasmus Larsen
Yeah, I agree. The U2311H is very good value and personally I prefer it over all TN panels (except for 120 Hz if you're a serious gamer).

Yeah, it's hard to say. I think that 2209WA is a bit better because of the better contrast viewing angles but I think that I would prefer the higher resolution on U2311H. Besides that the two monitors are pretty similar with only minor differences.
But I also think it depends on usage. If people are using the U2311H in bright rooms the contradt reduction is not really a serious problem but if you're a photographer or graphic artist that mostly work in light controlled environments - ie. a dark room in the basement - the contrast reduction is a problem.
By reqq
Nice review, however i still cant understand what exactly black level means. 0,16 U2311 got and 0.18 did the u2411 have. You also stated in the review u2311 have better blacks then the u2411. If you look at the pictures you can see that u2311 does indeed have somewhat better blacks. However in all pictures U2311 lacks detail in dark areas compared to u2411. Better blacks should be better blacks BUT without loss of detail. Whats the meaning of having better blacks if you loose detail, thats not better blacks for me. Its the same on many TV tests you have done. They are showing impressive blacks but alot of detail is missing. This subject is very confusing for me. This isnt something about your review, basically every review on other sitse that shows screenshots from tests have lacking details in dark areas.

I also can lower brightness yada yada and get sick blacks but i will loose detail by doing it.
By Rasmus Larsen
reqq wrote:Nice review, however i still cant understand what exactly black level means. 0,16 U2311 got and 0.18 did the u2411 have. You also stated in the review u2311 have better blacks then the u2411. If you look at the pictures you can see that u2311 does indeed have somewhat better blacks. However in all pictures U2311 lacks detail in dark areas compared to u2411. Better blacks should be better blacks BUT without loss of detail. Whats the meaning of having better blacks if you loose detail, thats not better blacks for me. Its the same on many TV tests you have done. They are showing impressive blacks but alot of detail is missing. This subject is very confusing for me. This isnt something about your review, basically every review on other sitse that shows screenshots from tests have lacking details in dark areas.

I also can lower brightness yada yada and get sick blacks but i will loose detail by doing it.
Yes you're right. A deep black level is nothing without details in the dark colors. When we wirte black level we mean the luminance of the black color.

What you're refering to is the aspect we call shadow details. The term "shadow details" covers the gradation of dark colors and therefore details in dark colors.

U2311H has better shadow detailing than U2410. Be careful not to judge screens 100 % from pictures. The pictures are shot with a Canon EOS but it's still not very accurate and a lot of details especially in dark colors are lost depending on the shutter time we use.
By edlondon
Hi,

I was looking at the NEC MultiSync EA231WMi or this Dell pending reviews and wondered what your thoughts were? I was considering the U2410 but it seems so variable and there are so many negative reviews that its really put me off.

Usages: photos, browsing, multimedia

I appreciate neither are amazing photo monitors but hey needs must.

Thanks
By reqq
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
reqq wrote:Nice review, however i still cant understand what exactly black level means. 0,16 U2311 got and 0.18 did the u2411 have. You also stated in the review u2311 have better blacks then the u2411. If you look at the pictures you can see that u2311 does indeed have somewhat better blacks. However in all pictures U2311 lacks detail in dark areas compared to u2411. Better blacks should be better blacks BUT without loss of detail. Whats the meaning of having better blacks if you loose detail, thats not better blacks for me. Its the same on many TV tests you have done. They are showing impressive blacks but alot of detail is missing. This subject is very confusing for me. This isnt something about your review, basically every review on other sitse that shows screenshots from tests have lacking details in dark areas.

Yes you're right. A deep black level is nothing without details in the dark colors. When we wirte black level we mean the luminance of the black color.

What you're refering to is the aspect we call shadow details. The term "shadow details" covers the gradation of dark colors and therefore details in dark colors.

U2311H has better shadow detailing than U2410. Be careful not to judge screens 100 % from pictures. The pictures are shot with a Canon EOS but it's still not very accurate and a lot of details especially in dark colors are lost depending on the shutter time we use.
Thanks for the answer.
By alan_b
Thanks for a good review. I have another question:
Since the U2410 is larger, but has tighter resolution (1920x1200) compared to the U2311 (1920x1080), which monitor would actually display larger characters at native resolution? And is the difference in the size of characters significant between these two monitors? My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I don't like fonts that are too small.

Thanks in advance.
By asergi
As a previous commenter suggested, I too am debating between this fine Dell monitor and the NEC EA231WMI monitor. Overall, which might you recommend for video editing? Thanks!
By M. Mulder
I'm also thinking which monitor will be better (is the best):

Is there a better monitor at this moment under the 500 euro's? Or is the Dell Ultrasharp U23111H the best for picturequality (incl. Web - Office)?
By chopperbott
I am considering to get a U2311H as well. I have a 2209WA, but it was pretty hot comparing to my other old TN monitors (even in air-conditioned room). :( And U2311H and 2209WA have same panel (according to the Dell sales). I am wondering do they have the same heat problem?
By Kyori
Same observation here, U2311's gamma is set too low.

I adjusted my software gamma up by 15% and has improved shadow detailing a bit while not sacrificing details on brighter areas.
By reveal
Rasmus Larsen wrote:Yeah, I agree. The U2311H is very good value and personally I prefer it over all TN panels (except for 120 Hz if you're a serious gamer).

Yeah, it's hard to say. I think that 2209WA is a bit better because of the better contrast viewing angles but I think that I would prefer the higher resolution on U2311H. Besides that the two monitors are pretty similar with only minor differences.
But I also think it depends on usage. If people are using the U2311H in bright rooms the contradt reduction is not really a serious problem but if you're a photographer or graphic artist that mostly work in light controlled environments - ie. a dark room in the basement - the contrast reduction is a problem.

Hi Rasmus,

Thank you for the review.
I recently (last month) purchased the 2209wa mainly because of the reviews of the u2311h and the contrast issues as well as reports of the "frosted glass" being visible.

Unfortunately the 2209wa that I received (after waiting 5 weeks for production) has the "frosted glass" as well as side viewing contrast issues. I did not expect this to be the case so I am wondering if you (and others here) could verify that the older 2209wa panels did not have any visible "frost" on the anti glare glass which seems to cause the contrast issues.

Many thanks.