TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By Trolle
I´ve kept my eyes on the LG and Philips 55" LCDs with passive 3D for a while.
LG W550 and Philips 7606.

I have understood from your test on the LG that the software upgrade did some magic but I haven´t heard that Philips have done anything similar? Anyone knows?

The Pros for a Philips buy so far: Better looking, Ambilight...and thats it?
The Pros for a LG buy so far: Upgraded 3D (and 2D to 3D?)...better smart-functions?

I tried to get in touch with Philips support in Sweden but they didn´t know anything about any update....they know that there had been 3 updates but couldn´t tell what they were about.

HELP! 8-)
By Rasmus Larsen
I asked Philips the same thing but the firmware update seems to be a LG-only thing right now (and it is not even available for all models yet, it seems). I imagine that LG plans to release it to other manufacturers such as Philips, Vizio etc. These companies license the Cinema 3D technology from LG so they should be able to reap the full benefit of the technology, too.

But right now it looks like Philips will incorporate it on next year's line-up, and not update the 2011 models. At least that is how it looks like to me. :)
By Trolle
Thanks Rasmus, then the LG looks, in my opinion , stronger with updated software compared to the Philips.
You mentioned that not all LGs will have the updated softwate.
Are the LG 55LW550W one of those that is updated?
If I look at LG Support their latest Firmware is called :
The_latest_firmware_file_v04.04.11.zip

Is this the one you had when you did you "Updated 3D test" with the LW550?
By Trolle
Hmm, it seems that the Philips doesn´thave the updated algoritm, but the LG does.
But does all the LG with passive 3D have it or is it only the top-models such as the 650W-serie?

I´m mostly interested in the LG 550W, anyone knows if it comes with the updated FW?