Talk about TVs, including LCD, LED, plasma, and OLED. Ask for buying advice or whatever you need help with.
By Steve
#15515 I was looking around for rec 2020 coverage figures for new oled displays and came across a foreign forum with a guy that had talked to a calibrator in the west. He said the gut told him all new oled displays this year would be 1000 nits and 85% rec2020 coverage. What dyes that mean? I can believe they might have improved current LG panel technology to get 1000 nit peak and adjusted the filters to get 85% rec2020 coverage, but to get 1000 nit standard would give great color volume at 85% coverage, really enjoyable. But going through panel specifications you realise how woeful oled panel brightness on displays are. You are talking 250-400cd/m2 often, with peak brightness often quoted instead. You basically would need Quantum dot filters on blue oled to sustain that brightness properly, with peaks brighter again. Do, unless sine other scheme is used, I'll take it as potentially some primary color changes, and a few other things including improving the oled, if it's right at all. I'm not saying which other things yet, but I have a notion of his they could do it. Now I remember more what I thought last night, one trick is to band the light better from the oled process and make better use of the light, giving a boost to get peaks up there. You could play with the existing oled formulae to produce more desirable frequencies for a filter to interact with before you go the full qd on blue oled route. However, the flexible oled process is different and can produce this sort of gamut.
By Steve
#15521 I think I might know what is happening. assuming it's real, we might see such panels announced by Christmas. They might have simply misunderstood when in 2019 it was meant. At 85% perceptual, that may struggle to look better than a Q7.

Those brightness figures for thus years panels, are they peak, or actual. If they are actual, that would line up with a Q7. Some OLED are doing 250cd/m actual full screen. I've Vern reading the display specifications.

A shock, is that the 65 inch Panasonic (800? there) is 100cd/m more than the 55 inch sane model.

What are these customisations to the GZ2000's panel Rasmus? Any primary or brightness shifts?

If you are under embargo, so you can't talk about significant increases in rec2020 over 80%, or significant increases in primary brightness (700 CD/m+ native without peak) could you are least say it would be "more interesting" for me, or "really more interesting"?

Thanks.
By Rasmus Larsen
#15547 Samsung Q7 doesn't hit much higher than 400-500 nits peak brightness in actual use, unless you put in far more aggressive picture modes and is willing to sacrifice color accuracy and other parameters. This is the nature of an edge-lit VA LCD panel. The native contrast of a VA LCD panel is around 3-5000:1 so whenever it has to go beyond that it will have to sacrifice something.

In my opinion, no edge-lit LCD TVs can do HDR. Don't get fooled about the high numbers that especially LCD manufacturers tout. These are purely theoretical. They can only be achieved in torch mode (Dynamic picture mode) and on specific test pattern. Peak brightness in actual use is always much, much lower on both edge-lit LCDs and full array LCDs. You can see our measurements of actual HDR peak brightness on TVs here: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php? ... 1503292479

HDR peak brightness numbers for OLED panels are actual since these are controlled on the pixel level. However, for high APL content brightness drops.

I don't know much as the custom OLED panel in GZ2000 yet but it's still an LG Display panel so it will still have roughly the same specs. Panasonic may be doing some custom controller stuff. They are claiming a less aggressive ABL limiter this year but so is LG Electronics so I suspect that at least part of it can be attributed to improvements achieved by LG Display.

The only TV panels I have seen with 80%+ Rec.2020 coverage are prototypes and often TV manufacturers like to showcase these displays at trade shows. However, when panels go into mass production they will have to make sacrifices, conform to regulations (reduce the use of cadmium-free quantum dots) etc. It can be done but the question is if it can be done at mass production scale. That's a whole different challenge than showcasing vaporware at CES.