TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
Thick purple fringing on panel. Backlight troubles from optical cable (seriously).

My less than 2 year old Q7 developed issues, particularly purple fringing top and bottom, and uneven backlight.

I put it in for warranty. The found a few little issues, which takes a couple of days to test, and after nearly 3 weeks haven't got it back, and the report form avoided issues I was complaining about and put in something I hadn't claimed. But, back at the retailer they could see purple fringing top and bottom was still there. They contacted Samsung, no replacement Panel (probably not in this country). Here is the rub, they expect the panels to develop the purple fringing bands on top and bottom of screen (and it's going up the side) eventually. That the backlight issues (including bleed unevenness and some slight discolouration bands) were often from the optical cable. I have an edge lit lcd. Unless somebody sends an analogue signal through the optical cable (not smart), there should not be an issue. Looks like they didn't expect to sell them to sick people to watch a lot sick, and log up over 7000 hours. That they were expecting them to start failing before 5 years or so, and you to get another one.

Altogether, it sounds very not good. There is nothing on the local market as good as this to replace it with. Nothing scores as well on rec2020 here, which I use for colour gamut expansion, running it dynamic for general viewing, and the other modes fir progressively duller looks, until I get to movie mode, which is set authentic. We often can't even get the top Chinese models here to compete. The Samsung isn't the best TV Menue and app functions, but allows you to really push the colour and contrast while retaining skin tones and good enough look.

If it could have lasted til next year or so, I could have finally got a descent BT2100 display, maybe even for intra hd Bluray titles. I'm going have to look at laser projectors, but am sure there is no native 8k with rec2020 coverage, let alone hdr10+/Dolby levels of brightness.
Last edited by Steve on 07 May 2021, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
An update. I have discovered Samsungs were having purple issues in that year. Samsung support flat out refused to help me, referring back to retailer JBHIFI who refuses to discuss some simple repair questions with the repairer or Samsung (One: could it be some mechanical movement of part, as the stock guy didn't notice it on pickup from repairer, but back at the store.
Two: If there is no replacement panel here, can one be had from overseas) before we go further. Instead they have avoided answering or getting back to me so far, trying to get me to buy another TV. On the day before any questions, I was told that the repairer was literally finished with it, in that tone. The stock guy had been conversing with the repairer without notifying me.

I rung Samsung support, and after maybe an hour and a few people, they flat out refuse to pass on my complaint to somebody higher up who could help, or let me speak to them, referring me back to the non- communicative retailer.

Here is a Forbes article. You know if a TV problem hits Forbes, it's probably major. I wonder if this is the reason Samsung abandoned the high colour LCD panels? I thought it might have been the optical viewing angle spreader causing the reduction in colour (sell me a 65 inch high colour desktop monitor model without it then). But the whole industry of big brands here have dropped color gamut coverage now. So, maybe it was the panels. Well, reading another page below, people are commonly getting this in the R series, with even somebody in the T series Q90 reporting it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycolli ... oblem/amp/

Here is the very long Samsung EU support pages referred to in the Forbes article:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/ ... d-p/630518

But here, is another page, which points to interference from magnetic fields on the Led back Lights. Mine's an edge lit from the bottom where the integrated sound bar is. A little bit of shielding in the design would have protected it. Exchanging the led module should have been made easy, but it's likely tightly integrated in the LCD. Then they could have replaced it with a shielded redesign. But that spells, massive costly recall under law of a number of jurisdiction, even noe there should be a recall. Is that really what's happening here? In such cases, class action law cases happen.

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/tv-a ... des-of-tv/

So, I guess it might be that the service centre wasn't communicating and keeping the TV weeks after it should have come back, just hoping it would disappear on its own (but as the LEDs are next to the internal sound bar, that was not likely). If it is related to the sound bar, they probably can't run a degaussing device through all that electronics, due to current build up producing shorts. I guess this is return time. Such a stupid thing, some cheap shielding should have stopped it, but as we learnt in economics. $1 saving over 1000000 items (TV's) equals a million dollars of extra profit, or over $1 billion dollars in losses to handle. Premium, means you spend the extra couple of dollars to make sure things stay that way. Have had lots of issues with my Samsung washer dryer as it came up to warranty too. The designs of things should be totally sealed from issues. There have been a spate of losses from little lizards getting into Air con control circuits and TV's locally too. I largely keep them out if the place. But it's cheap for manufacturers to seal premium product from most hazards. Thermal conducting layer sealent, metal statically repellent (dust and lint) micro gauze, sealed LCD with thermal conducting materials and thermal unit. Electromagnetic shielding, even on LED's themselves (though complete shielding would be difficult, as clear gold over the led face might work, but modify the gamut and be costly) all low cost once mass implemented. It's like wanting to construct a DIY computer case with subwoofer. People, you can't do that, I said, isolate the effects from the rest of the case, plus I knew there was already such a case for sale (but people know everything rather than think solutions through).

This page shows it is a common problems. Even on showroom floors, affecting Q80 and Q90 too. From what I read above, it gets worse over time. So, definitely not something to live with.

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/tv-a ... des-of-tv/

So, maybe Samsung ran out of replacement panels.

My options are limited:

A full refund, cash in hand, nit sure credit under local consumer Law, which requires a reasonable stock of replacement parts into the future, and it is a fault of the major part which is said will continue to deteriorate, and no way would I have bought the TV let that, no reasonable person would. Multiple reasons for full refund.

I bought this at maybe below cost price, which the store who sold it to me would get reimbursed and wants to convert my money to store credit, which means they profit. The law is clear enough here, and the set should last 20 years of constructed rightly (my old LCD still goes 14 years) and has caused a lot of issues and loss, you could argue outweighing the price of the TV.

I've got the leading consumer Law jurisdiction in the world here,but people should see about getting the same refund. This has also put me off of buying Samsung again.
Last edited by Steve on 07 May 2021, 23:25, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe I should talk to the importers about importing Vizio, so I have something to buy. They are the only not hidden in China (apart from genuine Sharp Japan products) brand trying.

Find a better alternative:

It's time to look for better alternatives than multi billion dollar LCD mega plants. Bring back rear projection DMD laser TV, and get even better picture.

The Chinese need to start manufacturing DMD, as the patent should have gone, and there is need of low cost supply of genuine 4k/8k/16k chips. A lot of cheap nasty, but expensive, product has used 2k chips to emulate 4k. An excellent way for the Chinese to cut their teeth on some cutting edge manufacturing plant, which the Chinese government will see fully funded, quickly (the way of things since the embargoes). Projection is one of the cheapest technologies, and even though DMD is used on dead cheap toy projectors, the projector price leaps up tall mountains towards the latest highest resolution. 4k led DMD should start at $200, by my knowledge of manufacturing costings, once you got a supply of cheap DMD.

If there is a fundable team out there who want to kick-start something like this, contact me. I'm a designer, and have a much cheaper alternative technology design than DMD in mind.
Another problem which should not happen, and why I didn't buy full array backlit, the diffusers dropping off:

They say it's repairable, but if I were you, I would get a repairer to do it. The TV being permanently damaged is easy handling large lcd's.

I've seen this around the place. It's not great to design something which can't drop off, without you having to tank it off within 40-100 Years. It should be mechanically fixed, but I presume they are using some adhesive that will eventually give way (out of warranty) demanding new TV. The issue is, that environmental conditions around the world vary, and do, some aces this is going happen prematurely. Look at the set up, some strips. It should be a better fastened assembly. Will the $1 to put an frame/ribbing attachment, really break the bank.

That's one of the problems, but not what I have, otherwise it would be dead easy to repair for the repairer (who should be able to easily reattach some dispersers onto a bottom lit TV). The insanity, if the bottom lit is a cheap and nasty spaced strip, then the lcd would need location based adjustments to pixels designed in, or increased resolution for each pixel, to calibrate out (meaning 14 bits or more. My guess, to get dependable 10 bit precision).

Anyway, nothing to do with magnetic fields here, or presumably edge fringe on back lit panels as well. However, one does get an strange feeling, as those diffusers Quantum dot coated. That would be a cheap way compared to a filter, and unless it needs to be directional, nastier. Can magnetic fields cause these to lift off (on top of an integrated sound bar).
Ok, here is a number of posts on fixit's website. There will many more. Just feed your model type or model, in.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/497 ... ung+led+48

Looks like it might be best for me to just scrap the Samsung and get my money back. It looks like there are a number of purple issues that will come out. Even if mine can be remedied, the others could come out next month. There is a number of people accross models with these sorts of things, and other brands to a lesser extent, depending on what time and model.

Ironically, it bodes well for cheap edge lit TV's and OLED TV's, because who would want to spend that much money for this to happen in a few short years? The prices they charge it should last the fill 20,000 to 50,000 hour led life. 20 years even.

It's insane to charge 5x+ for a TV compared to a cheap one, but not to build it to last in good condition much longer.
Ok, the good news. JB fully refunded my money under Australian Consumer Law. Then sent me a text message to say to pick up my TV. But that was a mistaken auto message of course. 🙂

Anyway, there isn't something to replace it with. It turns out that there is no 6 series R635 TCL in Australia, which is a cheap TV that gets close enough. That TCL and Hisense models don't line up with American models, so hard to get a proper review and numbers on these things, and you don't know what you are dealing with. There is a super cheap Hisense here, but I don't know what that is. The Hisense U80G, is is probably the 800 model in the US. There is one or two local reviews, but no numbers. It looks impressive in the shop, but is too expensive, but good pricing for an flagship 8k 75 inch.

But, the 6 series super cheap 8k TV's are coming shortly, the R648 I think in the US. So maybe that will be good enough. The R635 series carries over as the 4k model. Probably a good strategy, save retooling costs for the 4k, and glam up with the 8k. Let's see if the 4k catches up next year, and the 8k is carried over.

It seems, that value for money last year's TCL series 6 635R is it. You remember hdtvtest went over to TCL, and did a video of a presentation there, which included rec2020 technologies. I stopped the video and had a close look. There are a number of better video technologies for rec2020. We are probably seeing them come out. So maybe this year's 6 series 8k will be equivalent to the Sharp 8k of a few years ago. The screens are also darker, like the Sharp seemed to be from what they were saying. This is ultra good news. It was speculated the 8k price will start below $1000. My guess, $1700. I was actually offered an 75inch 8k x915 from good guys, for $3000, which is probably $2000US, maybe 1600 or so pounds. It's top tier 8k they had here, but the off angle color shift was woeful. Bend down and it's rather colourful cheery bright picture, but again, I din't know the figures, and bright lights in demo footage fool people. If I set up the Q7 next to it and the same brightness and footage, I imagine it would beat it, and not just a tiny bit. People complain about viewing angle colour shift, but you have got to check out this one.

So, it's possible that the new 8k will beat my Q7, and have at least the colour gamut of the Sharp, which was claimed over 90%, while mine was claimed at over 80%. I. Reality, the tests might deliver less, but if the series 6 can come in at 90%, I would be content. However, maybe the Hisense U80G is already there, and superior in other ways, even brightness? Din't know yet. It could be the opposite. Now, if I can get the the 8k series 6 cheap, that's fine. Then I can wait fur something superior to come along, and I mean wait.

Now, Samsung's issues, with the purple dots from the likely QD covered diffusers falling off. I wonder why. Where did it go wrong. A hicup in the adhesive manufacture? In, the art of war, a legendary text on warfare, used in certain businesses, I think there is a section, where you get your enemies reliant on you, then you betray/undermine them to get the victory. One could, in this s context, supply parts to the enemy, get the enemies confidence a d reliance, then when the parts go faulty in battle, the enemy losses out, while you gain the victory. But, it is a common thing for many quality failings from certain sources. I know people, and in industries you have to check every batch, and even turn away the faulty ones, so they only give you good ones. This testing and turn away, can cost you a lot of money, offsetting the cost saving benefits of the supply in the first place. But, if you don't use the cheaper parts, your product is going be too expensive compared to the competing products who get the cheap relatively undefective parts. I wonder what is going to happen in the wash here.

It could be that LG's success in OLED supply, has a lot to do with getting supply of reliable parts.

Reading a little bit about this. I read that the Koreans are being undercut in LCD, that's why they want to dump it. LG and other brands also had issues. They are pushing microled to get away from the undercut sector, where Hisense etc, is giving great TV fir a fraction of the price, with all sorts of high end features. Of course microled is nuts crazy expensive, even compared to OLED. But, if you could get the feature up and the Price down, it's great for the luxury market. It could hold the fort until direct drive Quantum Dots are ready, if. On the lower side, I read, that Quantum dot colour filtered blue OLED, has been ready, but Samsung, having campaigned against OLED, has been reluctant to use it, but given the LCD undercutting situation thru have relented. Does this mean we could have had it last year, or the year before? I know I read a electronic industry article saying that the current technology has been rejected as not bright enough. The nuts thing about this, is that they want to use the same blue as a direct pass through primary, as they use to drive the quantum dots. As people who have read about quantum dots will know, you want violet wavelengths to get the purest primary colours. How pure is the pro.sryes of this display going be? If it comes in at present LCD levels, as good as LG OLED, just brighter. What good is that? But It will make QD covered microled look better.

But, what are the Chinese doing. Well, dual cell LCD is a thing, and if you put a quantum dot color filter over that, and better than dual cell technology, you can maybe blast QD OLED away in brightness and color gamut. You can also deliver full 4000 nit Dolbyvision on Bluray Ultra hd titles, under cutting microled, and configure 12 bits+. At the moment they are trying to develop single panel dual cell and panels for quantum dot color filters, to get rid of an issue. If they combine both into a single panel, then this is going be an incredible offer at a low price. But, a few years ago, Hisense announced that projection was going be the future. It's cheap to make. The TI DMD technology has been around long enough for patents to start running out, allowing cheap Chinese production. Except the tiny DMD chips (compared to making LCD screens) it's cheap compared to multi billion dollar LCD plants. Hisense short throw laser projectors can now get beyond rec2020. The issues they face is two fold. That the projection surfaces they use are not efficient in contrast as an LCD, unless you turn the lights off, in a black room to stop reflections I would say. The other is that they are generating up to 450 from the screen, basically LG OLED territory. Yes, 150 inch now, but duller than the competing technolog to LG OLED. However, both these issues are overcomable. I know from my own design work. One of the issues is, that they are using a laser, and this is one of the issues against the old laservue TVs. I once spoke to an last display industry person, who assured me that lasers were very safe at the levels they were going to use them at. I pointed at that this wouldn't be the case, as the light phase synchronisation of a scanning dot would produce damage at a lot lower level (this is why I abandoned my own laser projection device plans, and came up with a substitute that alteted the phase to reduce the effect). Also, the comparison to the amount of normal light needed to produce damage was wring, as the perfect laser is one frequency, and for maximum response you use the frequencies the eye responds to the most, lowering the threshold of damage even more, as to get equivalent stimulation, you have to pulse that frequency much higher than normal. But, if you spread the light frequencies around the ideal frequency, you get pretty good purity anyway, but lower the peak. When the official regulatory standards testing was done a few years latter, you guessed it, I got it on the money, and in similar magnitude I think as well. The results limited the scanning lasers to a small fraction of what they were aiming. Don't let people tell you all these industry people are experts, they obviously didn't link together how laser eye surgery tools work and how their devices operate.

Anyway, it's far worse than that. I had been very sick, and had an accident with my 27 lum test laser. It hit the lens of my glasses as I was holding it and gave me eye damage. Fortunately it wasn't permanent, but cooked the jell in my eye just above the surface of the retina. It took years for the jell to heal up, and ye shadow to go away. There are people with extra physical sensitivity to damage. Those jocks scanning audiences with lasers hundreds to thousands of times more powerful, will tell you it doesn't do anything, they don't get people reporting problems, but it actually works like this. Your mind ignores and Mao's out the dead spots in your vision caused by the laser, plus only a minute of people are of the type to get even worse damage, or have specs that get hit right. So, acting like the usual don't know what they are talking about arguers in forums, they have been giving people eye damage for years. Your technical knowledge does not mean you know what to do with it, but real skill and ability, will let you do a lot with even the little you know. Remember that! The world is being run by fruit cakes who think like they are the only ones not in the asylum.

So, there was a famous legendary laser projector development which got squashed after the figures came out. Who I warned, and offered a solution to get pass the limitation.

Anyway, on to today's laser projection developments. They use a broad beam, rather than point source. They are saying that it is level 2 beam when it comes out, and your blink response will save you (don't stare into it drunk) but that blink response is nonsense, didn't even safe me from something much safer. Some people have less blink response, and some from something they are taking. Like I was saying before about disrupting the phase, they are saying that as it comes out of the lens it's phase auto s disrupted, making it more like a strong normal light. Well, we wouldn't need laser safety standards then. But, even if it is somewhat disrupted to have whatever synchronisation you have left, and a pure frequency concentrated in a small area which can fill your pupil. It might be less maximum harm, but it's still potentially harmful. So, you arrange systems to shut down the beam power if anybody came too close. They have these for years, but better systems should be used.

Using the above strategies, maybe that 4000 HDR Dolbyvision laser display is possible. Any brighter, and you have to ask why, unless you going use it in sunlight etc. But, with my design I decided to abandon the lasers, and just use Quantum Dots if I go ahead. Thee is such a thing called a Quantum Dot laser, one form uses a laser to pump quantum dots. Haven't given into it, as the project was abandoned, but that would be the new target, plus there is another method of laser safety I've come up with which eliminates the issue, plus, I was looking at lower power lasers, and previously proposed the same technique as the lens reducing the power to a class 2 laser, except a lot lower, but people still might rip the thing open, so still was a bit hesitant on that one. Anyway, you use it to produce a spread of frequencies around the primary and scan that (in my case).

Now, the screen material. Decades ago, holographic rear projection screens were made, which took light from the projectors direction. Same principle, plus primary use, plus the other techniques, plus elimination of non primary light (which I've got proposals for) and you have a high contrast screen. But, the rear thing that will allow Hisense to blitz others in the short term, is back to the future, REAR PROJECTION. It doesn't matter if your rear projection unit is 30 or 10 cm thick (I'm working on this stuff too). If it's going be a quarter the price of the microled screen, for an ideal picture having near or more than rec2020 at full Dolby vision brightness, what do you think consumers are going do? But let's say, you can get up to 200 inch screen at a quarter the Price of the smallest cheesiest 8k microled in the short term?

Now, going back to OLED. Printable OLED is a technology being pursued. It's probably meant to replace LCD on the low end. Add Quantum dot color filter to that. But, OLED has issues. Imagine if you can use the type of printing of OLED for inorganic led or laser array. Now, the whole surface is a low energy laser, reducing the class further, increasing safety and higher purity of colour.

Anyway, that's just concerning the areas the industry are working in. There are lots more, and from my own work, I can tell you that those technologies are not the final thing.

Thanks you joining me for the long ride.