TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
Hi everyone.

Ever since migrating from CRT, I've been growing more and more tired of the poor picture on my LCD monitor, with grays instead of blacks and all that, and seeking to replace it with something larger and darker. Sadly, they don't make larger monitors and plasmas don't do well due to burn-in, so that leaves LED-backlit displays with local dimming, 40"-42" so as to keep the pixel size reasonable. It's to be used for both work and gaming, where the wide gamut of LED also looks attractive.

But while I like the idea and can bear the price, it seems that lately there's another problem: glossy glass fronts. I've been looking at the LG 42LE8500, just affordable enough for me and seems great overall, but that glass panel keeps me worried about any use in a well-lit room. I have curtains, but at least I have to keep the lights on most of the time.

Are there any good models on the market, with deep blacks and good quality (keeping in mind it will be a PC monitor and nothing else, so fancy media features don't matter) that have a simple matte plastic front panel, and none of that showroom glass?

If not, maybe any glossy ones that are less glossy than others? Or maybe I'd have to forgo local dimming and look at lower-end models, if I'd still get much better blacks than from a CCFL PVA LCD monitor?

Also, a side question, I know you don't test that, but what about fragility issues with these heavy glass fronts; should I be concerned about occasionally breaking it with a side hit, or are they to your knowledge solid enough?
Same as Philips 9704H I get it? Still, sadly a bit expensive (I can get the LG LE8500 for $1,600 where I am, while the 40" 9705 is $2,500), and while tolerable, the review speaks about poor shadow detailing. Not something I'd like even for movies, much less these nighttime sniping moments in gaming.

At that rate I'd be better off taking my chances with glass, though that would require changing the room lighting. I know I can't just get LE8500 in plastic, but maybe something.

Also (this is mostly to Rasmus I guess), is there any indication that the thread might be reversing (much like laptops are now finished in matte again) and I might be better off just waiting for a few months?

I'm even considering getting a 1080p plasma, and to hell with burn-in, at least they're cheap, till there are decent permanent solutions on the market.