TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By sydandzach
After listening to several sales reps I was under the inpression that in general the newer LED technology was supposed to be an improvement over the slightly older standard LCD technology, providing better everything (colour, whites, blacks, contrast etc...).
But after reading some of the reviews lately perhaps I've been suckered by the marketing.
I've spent a lot of time looking at LED HDTV's including the; Samsung LN-46C6500, LG 47LE5300 and the
Sharp Quattron LC46LE810UN.
Perhaps I have been 'barking up the wrong tree' by only looking at LED's???
Given that the stores have their HDTV's in an over-satuaturated, over-contrasted out-of-the-box setting one can't know what is truely the right direction!!!
I do know that I was very impressed with the LCD Samsung LN-46C650 upon first viewing and maybe thats all that's important, but I really want to find the most accurate option.
Can anyone shed any further light into this LED vs LCD question?
Thanks to all, any assistance really is very appreciated!
By tqz
LED is LCD, it's just a different type of backlight compared to conventional CCFL-backlit LCDs.

So the question is not LED vs LCD, it's LED vs CCFL.
By Juan
In general we can say that LED TVs have superior quality than the older LCD ones. Better contrast and colors.
Of course there are many models and many brands, but do not hesitate in general LED is better.
Juan wrote:In general we can say that LED TVs have superior quality than the older LCD ones. Better contrast and colors.
Of course there are many models and many brands, but do not hesitate in general LED is better.
That is true for local dimming TVs (LCD-TVs with local dimming LED) but for Edge LED based TVs picture quality is not improved just by adding a different backlight unit. Most LCD-TVs with LED are based on Edge LED today.