TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
Hi,

I'm searching for a replacer of my LG 44" retro-projector, which just doesn't start anymore :( it has around 7-8 years, so maybe it's time for a replacement.

What I'll do with it:

1. View regular broadcasted TV, from cable service with SD and HD content

2. View movies from media player, an Asus O!Play HDP-R1. I have SD content, and I'm getting more and more HD content

3. View some bluray ... latter on this year I plan to get a player ... in the form of Playstation 3

4. Gaming ... through a Playstation 3 or a PC, games on my list are GT5, F1 2010, Call Of Duty Black Ops, and some move-like games for family/kids

5. PC connection, to do some gaming, and to connect as a dual monitor (through HDMI) and display some contents

My preferences:

6. Full HD, as this is the top resolution norm right now

7. Distance: I'll sit at exactly 3meters, and I currently have a 44" screen. I need some advice here ... 40" is minimum, then 46" maybe it's overkill ... don't know ... sweet spot would be 42" which some brands just don't have anymore. I'm also afraid going 40" would cause negative impact, as I have a 44" now. Maybe is just a matter of getting used to it ... anyway getting a 40" Full HD may give better view than a 44" retro-projector screen. What you advise?

8. Good colors, I don't want to get a bad image that makes my eyes hurt after 4hour looking at a movie. I see TV during day/night, but my preference goes to see my series and movies at night, after kids are asleep. Relax! :) And for that I want to like what I see :)

9. 3D? Don't really think I'll have the need to pay extra for a feature I'll use little to no use, because of lack of content and expensive extra hardware (glasses, sync, etc) ... so I prefer a great 2D over a medium 3D I don't see me using often

10. LED LCD, PLASMA? My initial thought was LED, because it would be a better technology with better contrast, colors, looks (not the most important, though), and I'm very afraid of PLASMA because of image retention/burn-in/permanent burn-in, basically in TV logos and games. I saw a Panasonic G20 and look great, and from what I read, it still has the best contrast, colors, response ... then it comes image retention (again), power consumption, some noise I can get (must have luck with unit), and heat (should it be an issue?!?!) so I basically have lot's of doubts about all techs for me.

On a local store, the seller showed me some models, and presented me a list of best models for me:

- Panasonic 42" TX-P42G20E S, Full HD, 600HZ (1199€)
- Philips 40" 40PFL8605H, Ambilight, Full HD, 3D Ready, 200 Hz, Internet TV (1319€)
- Sony 40" Bravia KDL-40NX710, 3D, Full HD (1399€)
- Philips 40" 40PFL7605H, Ambilight, Full HD, 100 Hz, Internet TV (899€)

I find the price of the Philips 40PFL7605H quite appealing, but I have difficulties on finding reviews, and the ones I find they don't seem to give good marks for it ... is it a bad model from Philips? Maybe Philips 40PFL8605H has a better quality ... but 3D is an extra and the glass screen can get me lot's of reflection, maybe.

Would you put another brand model to my list for me to check it out?

I'm open to opinions. I have a limited budget, 1000€ would be sweet spot, but maybe I can stretch it out if I can get a better bang for the buck (my list have some 1400€ sets) ... at the end I want to feel comfortable with the choice, and get a nice set to my living room, for the next 6 years or something like that :) maybe the next one will be an oled :)

So please, help me out as I'm in a stress to get a TV ... mine is broken and I have many stuff to see :)

Thank you.