TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By krull
Hi, I've recently moved to a bigger place and want to upgrade my 32" Philips. I'm choosing between two 40" panels, Sony KDL40R473 and Philips PFL3008T. Can anyone say anything with regards to picture quality on these two panels?

Also, do both of them use 'fake' 100 hz and is that in someway noticeable? Thanks for any answers.
By Rasmus Larsen
Pretty much any LED model today uses the fake Hz systems that inserts extra, artificial frames into the video stream. But luckily it can be turned off.

I would recommend the Sony over the Philips. We still have a hard time aligning with Philips' philosophy in recent years of pumping images to cartoon-like levels with high color saturation and extreme color temperatures. At least Sony is more respectful to the original intention of the content creator.
By loopthrough
I have tried both of these TVs. They are both only average in performance and contrast. I wouldn't recommend either. The Sony has very good sound, though, but the viewing angle, contrast and picture processing is very poor, especially for a Sony (banding in gradients, coarse controls, etc). The low end Philips sets are not much different, either, although contrast (black level) is slightly deeper.

Can your budget not afford to go up the range more? If so, I would look at the Sony W6 TV (AUO AMVA3 panel so acceptable black levels) or a Philips 5000 series if you don't mind IPS panels (lower black levels, but wider viewing angles)?
By krull
Thanks for your answers guys, I'm aware this is the low-end spectrum of quality panels but my budget is stretched to its maximum going up to 500€. I choose these two brands since I've had some good experiences with them, although nothing really recent and most dating back to fat screens in the 90's. On the same token I'm somewhat wary of choosing a Samsung panel since I had some bad experiences with them, but that might just be bias on my part.

I'll have a look around the ones you suggested, perhaps Christmas season will provide some good offers.
By loopthrough
No problem. Sony KDL-42W655 (W6) is 549EUR in Germany and Philips 42PFL4208 is 524EUR in Germany, too.

Panasonic TX-L42EW6 (German model) is 553EUR in Germany.

All on Amazon at the moment.

I would look at those three.

I'm not keen on Samsung either. The panels are good, but their TVs lack some things that Sony and Panasonic offer.
By krull
Going up 30-50€ isn't a problem as long as I can motivate it with the quality increase for myself :D Amazingly enough, the panels you listed cost 100€ more on average to buy in Sweden. I'll have a look on international sites, thanks for the suggestions.
By loopthrough
Didn't know that. I'm in the UK, but often buy from Amazon Germany as we also get charged £100 or more than the German version!

Good luck with your search.

The Sony I mentioned has a very good review on this UK website: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl ... 113237.htm

I have owned that Philips PFL4208, too, and it had not bad performance for the price, although sound was a little lacking (especially for Philips who usually have very good sound).