TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By Steve
I've seen a few TV's with failures in the led backlight arrays. Particularly patterns of led lights going bright.

I was surprised at just how pronounced the bright spots were.

As people who buy torches are aware, leds are extremely non uniform. While you would hope the manufacturers vetted the led supply well enough to keep uniform, the circuits themselves could contribute.

So, are older Led array TV's prone to this?
By Rasmus Larsen
All LCD TVs suffer from backlight inhomogeneity to some degree. These issues will show up as bleeding, clouding, banding, streaking or other phenomena. Zone dimming sets also suffer from blooming and potentially banding.

It's extremely hard - almost impossible - to avoid these things unless light can be controlled on the pixel level.

We also include an evaluation of the backlight in our reviews :)
By Steve
Hi, Rasmus. Thanks for the reply. I was coming back to say I'm seeing more and more of this, even in store display light boxes. It's not just a little blooming, it's severe and even flickering, like little super bright spot lights spread across the screen, where the pixels are no longer calibrated to the increased light levels of the bright led's.

I wrote this as a warning about fald's. I wonder if it has anything to do with the industry reducing fald usage on sets, as these things fail over time?