PC monitors of all kinds.
By Reap
I'm looking for a monitor with high contrast and low inputlag that is suitable for gaming/allround work.

Specs that I'm looking for:

Responstime: below 6 ms
Inputlag: below 2 frames
Contrast 1500:1 or better

Do this monitor exist yet?
By Reap
Rasmus Larsen wrote:I still consider the Eizo EV2332W an excellent, inexpensive VA based monitor. It's not a dedicated gaming monitor but it's a great allround monitor: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php? ... 1271060370

You could also consider the Eizo FS2331: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php? ... 1288694516
Thanks for the heads up.
I have bin reading both reviews and I have tested the FS2331 and it's a bit too slow for me when it comes to games.
I love my FS2332 but it really lack black level that is why I have started to look at VA based monitors but most monitors seem to have high inputlag.
Yeah, that is pretty much the problem right now. IPS panels are definitely faster but have terrible black levels. VA panels are slower but have much better black levels.

Technically it is hard to create a really fast VA based monitor with low input lag simply because the VA panel structure is slower in terms of pixel response time. To speed up pixel transitions, manufacturers need to use a more aggressive overdrive circuit on VA panels. And overdrive equals input lag.
Overdrive is also used on IPS panels but due to the faster pixel response nature of the IPS panel the overdrive system is less likely to cause input lag.
Thanks for the heads up.
I have bin reading both reviews and I have tested the FS2331 and it's a bit too slow for me when it comes to games.
I love my FS2332 but it really lack black level that is why I have started to look at VA based monitors but most monitors seem to have high inputlag.

Rayban Gafas
By MattF
I'm looking for something similar. A 19-24" VA-Panel with colour gamut about 95% and good colour fidelity, with 6 ms response time, 8 max.

Next to "black levels" (or any deeper colour, really) VA-Panels seem to have another advantage that is hardly accounted for in tests. They seem to have more effective surface-glow as opposed to background-glow. The colours seem to have consistency, and the screen doesn't seem just like a flimsy surface. This may sound negligible or imagined but is utterly essential, I have found. It's what made CRTs great and will make OLEDs stand out in future.

I haven't found a proper technical description of this phenomenon, but I can't divorce it from picture quality as such. I may want to do so, but in testing it is unpleasant to look at one of the flimsy screens for a longer time, even if it's supposedly the best out there. It even alters the whole perception to look at a flimsy screen so that seeing the strong, solid colours of reality may seem surprising (it affects the whole surface of any object and not just the "glow" of colours).

Maybe it has nothing to do with the panel-type per se, but in my tests it is an old MVA-panel (BenQ FP91GP) that stands out against others in this. Colours may even be weaker or not as bright, but the overall picture seems more solid, somehow. The pixels are stronger and more defined, I guess. I'm not sure if you know what I mean, if you have a better way to account for it, I would welcome it...

If there is anything else I have to look out for in a monitor for this property of saturation, I'd like to know. I think I've also seen it in small Philips TVs, although they're not even that great otherwise. Still, compared to a small Samsung TV (with TN-Panel) you would see what I mean.

Edit: This article seems to confirm what I'm talking about:

"Overall, VA panels give the most vibrant, eye-catching image quality of any LCD technology. The richness and depth of a good VA monitor is spectacular. For that reason, many high-end HDTVs, including Samsung and Sony sets, use PVA LCD panels. "

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ed-1058662

I'd like this to be covered in tests, if possible. There are so many random obstacles when you just want to buy a good screen, it's really frustrating.
Im using an old Dell IPS monitor and it definitely does the job but the viewing angle isnt QUITE what Id hope. Are there any 19" 4:3 LCDs out there with awesome viewing angles?