PlayStation, Xbox, Wii, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, and more
Over the last month, Sony has released some technical details on the next-generation PlayStation, probably called PlayStation 5. I thought we could this thread to keep track of things as we are approaching the launch. Share what you find out there!

What we know so far:
Sony: PlayStation 5 to feature 8K, 3D audio, ray tracing & backwards compatibilit
PlayStation 5 will also support 4K120, cross-generational play
Sony demonstrates PS5 vs. PS4 Pro game load times

Here's the original article from Wired:
Exclusive: What to expect from Sony's next-gen PlayStation

And CNET's interview with Jim Ryan, PlayStation CEO:
Sony's PlayStation CEO wants a seamless transition to its next-generation console
A few thoughts:
- Regarding 8K and 4K120 this will require HDMI 2.1 so PS5 is obviously a HDMI 2.1 game console.
- 3D Audio: Is that Atmos or DTS:X - or both? Perhaps Sony will go with its own object-based audio format, i.e. an extension of the MPEG-H based music format that was demoed at CES (I had a demo and it was wild!)
- Ray-tracing combined with HDR? Bring it on! :)
- It was have a disc drive. Assume that it will be UHD Blu-ray?

Sony is demoing 8K rendering from Gran Turismo as part of its demo reel for 8K TVs. They explain that the cars are rendered in 8K, the surroundings are not. I've seen it a couple of times now and it looks great.

Polyphony Digital's Kazunori Yamauchi.

- "Rather than a spatial resolution that you’re talking about, I’m more interested in the advancements we can make in terms of the time resolution. In terms of frames per second, rather than staying at 60 fps, I’m more interested in raising it to 120 fps or even 240 fps. I think that’s what’s going to be changing the experience from here on forward."
Source: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2020/02/22 ... n-turismo/

From person on NeoGaf who claims to have spent time with next-gen consoles.
- "I sit the controller down (I'm about to die again anyways) "The game is definitely running at 60fps" he shakes his head at me "No its running at 90fps locked. native 4k." dumb stare "On which machine?" he smiles "Both of them."

Og:

- "When I asked about the performance of both consoles his response was "Both have the same target we will see if either of them hit that target. " I pushed further and asked what the target was and his response was simply."Above 12" That is not for the XseX or the PS5,from what I can gather internally both machines are targeting very high performance which lines up with hearing earlier that the machines would both be $499 with both companies Taking a loss."
Source: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen ... -256994247

Spec rumor from 4chan comparing PS5 to Xbox Series X. Leaker previously predicted Sony's new "It's Time to Play" slogan.

And this may - or may not - be the new user interface

The first confirmed games for PlayStation 5 is Godfall (holiday 2020)

"Our goal with Godfall is to reforge fantasy ARPG-style loot progression and third-person melee combat into a whole new genre: The Looter-Slasher. Namely, our game is uniquely one-part gear driven and one-part player-skill driven. Godfall retains the desire for offense-oriented, mastery-driven combat, rewarding you with head-turning, powerful loot that then inspires your next set of character builds."

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVuTPJeHdE

In an interview with IGN game developers comment on the new possibilities with next-gen consoles.

Elijah Freeman, Virtuos VP of Games Division:

"The increased power and speed of consoles like the Xbox Series X will mean worlds many times bigger than we’ve seen before, and with more stuff in them too. You’ll also be able to move around them much quicker, whether that’s driving in a high-speed sports car or flying around on a dragon, perhaps with no loading screens at all.

One key area that will almost certainly see improvement is volumetric effects such as smoke, fog, and clouds. These are effects that scatter light and have previously been presented in games with mixed results. What makes this all interesting is the effect this might also have on gameplay. Yes, improved smoke effects will be great to look at, but the ability to just barely glimpse an enemy if the light catches them right after you’ve thrown a smoke grenade adds a new level of nuance to playstyles."

Bruce Straley, former game designer at Naughty Dog:

"It’s always been really difficult to make really good hair. And then hair responding to different environments – hair and water, hair and wind, hair and hair gel, are all reactions that can be processed.
The availability of these tools, and this power, means there’s more opportunities for people to play with styles and concepts and ideas. And hopefully there’s more interesting or wacky ideas that become realized, because I was never able to play with ray tracing or some kind of dynamic global illumination. That now opens up a new opportunity to think about game design differently, or an experience differently.

In The Last Of Us, we had an ambient shadow system which we had to downrez significantly, and it sure would be great if we could do that at a higher resolution and get more fidelity in it. Something like this makes that more possible."

Source: What Xbox Series X's 12 Teraflops Actually Means for Graphics, Gameplay