A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
PrzemysławMazurek wrote:I have been waiting 4 years now, hoping that each year both (Sony and LG) will take thair TV’s to the next level. But it seams that thay are improving in some areas but downgrading in the others.

So without taking into account the price, what would be your recommendation. Going for A9G vs A9F (that might be better in some areas) or maybe C9?
I think it depends on your needs. If you are a gamer and if you are planning to invest in PS5 or Xbox Two (?) I would say go for HDMI 2.1, or in other words LG's models. My only caveat here would be if HDMI 2.1 is limited in some form on LG's 2019 models. That's hard to say at this time. Another option would be to wait another year.

If you are not a gamer HDMI 2.0 should satisfy your needs. And then you can pick freely from all of them. The current OLED TVs are very similar besides the TV OS, speakers and such. Much of this comes down to personal preference, I think. Some of them have better pre-configured picture modes than others but overall they are more similar than different in my opinion.
But os it possible that Sony would come with a software update for A9G later this or next yeat to upgrade HDMI to 2.1 version or is it simply imposible without hardware upgrade?
By IanJ
The online What HiFi review claims the Sony's HDMI meet the spec for 2.1 and will be certified as such later. I'm no expert, does this seem plausible?
The comment in the AG9 OLED review saying HDR 'quality' was preferred kind of leaped the frog. The ZG9 is an unknown quantity as yet with Dolby Vision dynamic tone mapping feature possibly to be implemented on the 8ktv.
Also the brightness ability is supposedly on par with the Dolby Pulsar monitor.
If Sony can keep a reasonable uniform brightness on the ZG9 I reckon it could be capable of HDR not seen on a consumer TV to date,
One good DV/HDR title on say a 4k blu-ray could change everything in the coming 2-3 years.
Its a rich mans TV, just like the Koreans 8k big screens though so that is the catch comparing it to affordable TVs...
By Rasmus Larsen
PrzemysławMazurek wrote: But os it possible that Sony would come with a software update for A9G later this or next yeat to upgrade HDMI to 2.1 version or is it simply imposible without hardware upgrade?
I think that's very unlikely. Even the Sony 8K flagship (Z9G) has only one HDMI 2.1 port so it seems clear to me that Sony's hardware platform is not ready to move to full HDMI 2.1 capabilities yet.
By Rasmus Larsen
IanJ wrote:The online What HiFi review claims the Sony's HDMI meet the spec for 2.1 and will be certified as such later. I'm no expert, does this seem plausible?
Not according to the answers that we have received from Sony.
john martin wrote:The comment in the AG9 OLED review saying HDR 'quality' was preferred kind of leaped the frog. The ZG9 is an unknown quantity as yet with Dolby Vision dynamic tone mapping feature possibly to be implemented on the 8ktv.
We have published our Sony Z9G review here: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php ... 1559201058

Dolby Vision will not solve the inherent limitations in any zone dimming system. Z9G simply has far too few dimming zones to deliver on the promise of 4000 nits in actual use. It's something that can be achieved with theoretical test patterns and in very specific sequences but never when it matters most (small bright objects in the picture).
I don't have the possibility to use any probes for a professional calibration of TV, so I took inspiration from the recommended settings. Some doubts:
1- why is range -1 better than 0 (the standard value)?
2 - the advanced color temperature values suggested are reliable or would be the case, since I am not an expert, leave default?
3. the tv also allows to adjust the basic settings of each color: can someone help me in the choice?
I apologize for the length, but I would like to have the tv as accurate as possible, even without calibration. Thanks so much! Federico
By Goodsound
OK, due to favorable reviews I bought one of these, actually The 55“ size.
I found watching this image stressful/effortful. After one hour a headache with increasing painlevel started to trouble me.
After two hours I had to stop.
I could watch for 4 hrs and more on my Sony 46“ LCD Predecessor.
The kind of headache (eyes) remembered me of times when computer screens were just 50 Hz. However I cannot claim the AG9 was flickering (except when I changed Motion Clarity from low to high).

My question: is the AG9 100Hz (or more) in all picture modes?
Or does Cinema reduce it to 25 Hz?
(I am looking for a reason why I got a head ache. :? )
Thanks.
By Rasmus Larsen
The panel is 100Hz and it's sample-and-hold so it only refreshes when there's an update. Like LCD monitors and TVs without scanning backlight systems enabled. The OLEDs in the US shouldn't use PWM (pulse width modulation) either.

Depending on how you set the MotionFlow option, it will use various system to try and alter or improve motion. Try turning it off completely. Does it change anything for you?
By Paulnugent
Rasmus Larsen wrote:Top: Sony A9G
Bottom: LG C9
Wow, I guessed wrongly. I've always thought that Sony had the more natural skin tone, but here the less red, more yellow of the LG appears more natural to me. I think the brighter LG is probably a safer bet, too, for general accuracy and detail.