A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
But for the HDR content (for example for Amazon Prime) what settings did you choose ? Because the ISF DARK ROOM mode doesn't exist in HDR, so what should I choose between Cinema, Cinema Home or Filmmaker ? Do you remove all video processing in HDR? (for example smooth gradation...)
LauraGómezLópez wrote: 07 May 2020, 15:58The CX does NOT pass uncompressed, multichannel LPCM (5.1 nor 7.1 PCM) through eARC.

The following statement is misleading and almost deceiving, seeing as the CX model is still limited to 2.0 channels of PCM: "LG has also promised to fix the eARC issue (PCM being limited to 2.0 channels) affecting 2019 models. 2020 models come with the fix at launch while 2019 models will receive a firmware update sometime this year."
Hi Laura. We were not trying to deceive anyone but I certainly understand your frustration. We received a sample of the TV before public launch. LG informed us that the fix would be ready in time for the public launch.

PS: And I'm sorry that I only see your post now. For some reason, notifications for this thread had been off for me.
pierre2592 wrote: 10 May 2020, 06:24 Hello to you all, thanks for your review.
I'd like to know if the static content dimming issue is still present on this model?
I mean by that, does it still dim the whole picture when there's a static content such as game HUD or sport score board even when the Logo Luminance Adjustment is switched to "off" ?
Thank you !
It's still there in all OLED TVs because it's implemented in the OLED panel by LG Display. However, we did not see it at any time during real use. The algorithm has been tweaked a lot since especially the Sony OLED case. On LG CX, we only saw the effect when using test patterns.
Tepii wrote: 10 May 2020, 10:21 Just wanting a comformation that it is like I think the matter is of not beeing full bandwith hdmi 2.1 in CX than it was in C9. There is lot of information in the internet media about this, and yes LG has confirmed that it is true. But i feel it has been overly thought problem, because you only need 48 Gbit full bandwith for 12-bit, panels are 10-bit so it is irrelevant. There is no need for the full bandwith with these tv:s, nor the C9 or the CX.
That's right. And even if a TV like CX accepted 12-bit signals over 48Gb/s it would not propagate to the display panel. There are no 12-bit TVs available on the consumer market today.

For now, 48 Gb/s is headroom for the future; a 4K 12-bit environment as well as 8K.
FreddellMeister wrote: 14 May 2020, 08:35 Thanks for reviewing the Panasonic HZ1000 OLED. In terms of comparison with CX, which TV is better "calibrated" out of the box or after your published tweeks?
Is motion and near black detail any different?
It's close and I think for the absolute majority of users there would be little to no difference between the best pre-calibrated picture modes in the two LG and Panasonic TVs. I wouldn't be comfortable saying that one or the other is significantly better before or after calibration. The graphs may look a little different but there's a threshold for when our eyes can no longer spot the tiny color errors.

I prefer LG's motion system over Panasonic, and of course there's the whole HDMI 2.1 4K120 thing that is a very significant part of the motion discussion going forward.

Near black, well. Perhaps Panasonic has a slight advantage, but we are again splitting hairs here.

My point is that these TVs are, in many areas, more alike than different. And in some picture areas, it may just be a matter of panel variance. I would personally focus on other, more significant differences than these ones.
Vraman wrote: 27 May 2020, 18:46 Great review, but there was no detail on the omission of DTS(Any format of DTS including DTS-X) in LG CX. Many of us who have ripped their 4K Blu-ray collections and play it through our NAS or separate hard drives connected to the TV's usb port will have an impact I guess. I don't have an AV receiver but Samsung's Ambeo soundbar and Sony's HW700DS for night time play. I'm sure like myself many prefer only DTS output over Dolby. If DTS isn't supported by LG CX but we want to play the DTS track from our ripped blurays, is there a solution ? Or do I have to get a C9 or a Panasonic/Sony ?
We are perhaps not giving the lack of DTS in LG CX enough attention. We will evaluate that for next year's reviews. LG doesn't have plans to add DTS support in its 2020 models as far as we've heard.
Rachon34 wrote: 29 May 2020, 23:27 Hi there, it looks like the CX brightness is a bit down compared to the C9, would it affect the movie hdr experience? Thanks
Could just be panel variation. I noticed that others didn't get as high brightness on C9 last year. 100 +/- brightness - I don't think it matters much.
Curtis wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 05:50 But for the HDR content (for example for Amazon Prime) what settings did you choose ? Because the ISF DARK ROOM mode doesn't exist in HDR, so what should I choose between Cinema, Cinema Home or Filmmaker ? Do you remove all video processing in HDR? (for example smooth gradation...)
Cinema HDR or Filmmaker Mode HDR would be my recommendation. And the default Dolby Vision mode for DV content rather than the one intended for bright rooms.

Personally, I prefer to remove all video processing but I can understand why some would prefer to have for example smooth gradation activated (it can help but the flip side is that it reduces resolution) or TruMotion at low settings (to help counteract the stroboscopic effect when viewing 24fps at higher brightness).
Morden_B5 wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 05:25 I plan on getting the 55" model and upgrading to a newer blu-ray player, the Panasonic UB820. Since the TV and player both can upscale to 4K, which would would do a better job of upscaling 1080p blu-rays to 4K?
Short answer: Either.

Long answer: I'm probably not the right person to ask about nuances in upscaling as I will usually just give a boilerplate response. Devices generally follow the standardized upscaling methods, and 2160p = 2x 1080p for a reason.

When many people and manufacturer start talking about upscaling they are usually including things like edge enhancement, color enhancement, "Darbee", smoothing of gradations, sub-pixels trickery etc. In my opinion these have very little to nothing to do with upscaling. These are picture enhancements or patch solutions on display panel limitations. I think it's important to separate the two fields to have an informed discussion on the matter. Upscaling is the practice of recalculating pixels to ensure that the picture is shown in full screen. If we include picture enhancement in the equation, then that's a very, very big discussion.