A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
Thanks for the great review Rasmus — I’ve been waiting for this one for a while! I’ll probably be getting the 55 inch version of the 805 in a couple of months once the price drops/Black Friday comes around. Except for gaming (which doesn’t bother me), it seems to offer the most rounded and best value package for the UK market.

What tweaks did you make in order to reach over 900 nits in HDR? Were there many other changes you made to the settings in ISF Day or Movie HDR modes?

Also, I’m likely to use the Ambilight as D65 bias lighting for dark room watching. Would your recommendations for picture mode and settings change with that in mind?

Thanks!
Welcomemattvo wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 18:31 What tweaks did you make in order to reach over 900 nits in HDR? Were there many other changes you made to the settings in ISF Day or Movie HDR modes?

Also, I’m likely to use the Ambilight as D65 bias lighting for dark room watching. Would your recommendations for picture mode and settings change with that in mind?
For us, turning off all of the dynamic systems (and ensure that OLED light output is not lowered in any settings) gave it around 100 extra nits. It's always plus/minus with these OLED panels so you may not get exactly 900 - or you may get a little than us.

Same recommendations together with D65 bias lighting.

And thanks for the kind words :)
AntónioVendas wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 08:41 Philips OLED TVs seem to drain more power then the other OLEDs...
Can you perform a test with ambilight off to see if that is the feature that drains additional power?
Sorry António, we no longer have the sample. But you are right, Ambilight increases overall power consumption somewhat. We will try to take before/after measurements next time we receive a Philips TV for testing.
Rasmus Larsen wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 22:55
Welcomemattvo wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 18:31 What tweaks did you make in order to reach over 900 nits in HDR? Were there many other changes you made to the settings in ISF Day or Movie HDR modes?

For us, turning off all of the dynamic systems (and ensure that OLED light output is not lowered in any settings) gave it around 100 extra nits. It's always plus/minus with these OLED panels so you may not get exactly 900 - or you may get a little than us.

Same recommendations together with D65 bias lighting.

And thanks for the kind words :)
Thanks Rasmus. By dynamic systems, do you mean things like Perfect Natural Reality and HDR Perfect?
Thank you so much for the review. Can you talk more about the motion quality. I remember my older Philips 873, the motion was terrible with a lot of Artefacts. Unfortunately i am very sensitive to judder so i need a bit of smoother motion but no SOE. How does the new Pure Cinema Mode and the Movie Mode work? Maybe compared to Sony and Panasonic. I now have the Panasonic GZ1004 and in general it's a great tv with the ecxeption of the odd Frame Skip problem in 24hz Material that in difficult scene (fog, low contrast ecc) and thats the reason i am looking for a new one.
marco.rosa wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 00:28 Thank you so much for the review. Can you talk more about the motion quality. I remember my older Philips 873, the motion was terrible with a lot of Artefacts. Unfortunately i am very sensitive to judder so i need a bit of smoother motion but no SOE. How does the new Pure Cinema Mode and the Movie Mode work? Maybe compared to Sony and Panasonic. I now have the Panasonic GZ1004 and in general it's a great tv with the ecxeption of the odd Frame Skip problem in 24hz Material that in difficult scene (fog, low contrast ecc) and thats the reason i am looking for a new one.
In my opinion it's a little easier to apply custom smoothing without getting into SOE territory on Sony's OLED TVs.

'Pure Cinema' on Philips OELD805 is a system to detect a 3:2 cadence in a 60Hz signal and play it as 5:5 at 120Hz.

The new 'Movie Mode' applies a little de-judder to the signal. I think this would probably fit your needs best. We didn't see artefacts or SOE with this setting enabled. Of course, the signal will not be buttery smooth because are using a 24fps source after all.
The philips oleds since the 803 do support 1440@120hz HDR 12bit and 1080p@120hz HDR 12bit with 15ms Input lag. I know it's not full fat big hdmi 2.1 with the lowest input lag, but for Soloplayer it's perfect. Escpecially with the immersive Ambilight feature. Please consider testing this too. Realistically 1440p@120hz is the tipping Point for most players even with potent PC's in modern AAA titels, not to say on PS5 or XBOSX.