A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By genegold
Good review. I'd like to raise one thing you don't speak to. You express a preference for a relatively darker viewing room. The calibrated setting you achieve with a brightness of 120 cd/m2 is apparently - from the reviews I've read - the minimum for this monitor. The thing is 120-140 cd/m2 is considered the standard illumination of a bright office. If one has or prefers a darker room, or a genuinely dark one, as I do, then there's a continuing problem. Knocking the contrast down to around 55 only partly solves it - approximately 100 cd/m2 - while introducing other artifacts. An example are the tables on your review page. The white screen is so bright on mine (brightness=0/contrast=54, shaprness=10, rgb=99/98/98) that I have to focus intently to read the black text in the blue background; i.e, the glare around the blue is substantial. I imagine that much younger eyes, or eyes that get along better with bright light than mine (~60 years), probably see it differently. Most monitors, including other Dell models, account for variation in human and physical conditions by setting up the brightness control to go above and below the bright room - e.g., compare with HP LP2275w - but for some reason they opted out on this one.
By halka
I'm sorry for necroing the thread, but could someone please provide [means to acquire] a calibrated color profile for Dell 2209? I realise the result might be different for my piece, but i guess it will still provede better colour reproduction than out-of-the box. Thank you in advance.
By Rasmus Larsen
genegold wrote:Good review. I'd like to raise one thing you don't speak to. You express a preference for a relatively darker viewing room. The calibrated setting you achieve with a brightness of 120 cd/m2 is apparently - from the reviews I've read - the minimum for this monitor.
I'm so sorry for this very late reply. Yeah 2209WA is somewhat limited in regards to brightness.

You should be able to reduce RGB to achieve a lower brightness level, though? As long as you reduce all of the three primary colors the color balance should (in theory) stay the same but brightness reduced.
By Rasmus Larsen
halka wrote:I'm sorry for necroing the thread, but could someone please provide [means to acquire] a calibrated color profile for Dell 2209? I realise the result might be different for my piece, but i guess it will still provede better colour reproduction than out-of-the box. Thank you in advance.
You're thinking about an ICC profile? Unfortunately I don't have the ICC I set up on 2209WA back then any longer. Sorry.

Have you tried the calibrated settings?
By thetrystero
The 2209WA costs only about USD15 more than the U2311H here in Malaysia.
Which one should I go for?

I use my computer mainly for movies, and some music production and web design.
Should I give up color reproduction for the extra real estate or vice versa?