A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By KMA
Thanks for a great review.

As a BV10 owner, I'd like to follow your calibration settings advice to get most out of the picture.

One question:

-quote-
Note in the above table that 0 means that I let the settings remain in the middle (Bang & Olufsen don't use numbers in their menus). The contrast value of -4 means that I moved the level four stops to the left.
-end quote-

By saying that you moved the value 4 stops to the left, what do you mean by "stops"? The B&O menu has a dotted line for each setting, where you can move the position of the settings marker or cursor. Do the settings mean that you moved the contrast level 4 "markers" (visible steps) to the left, or that you simply clicked on the remote 4 times to the left?

The graphic indicator (marker) in the adjustments does not move a full stop (visible step) each time the remote key is pressed, hence my question:

Does your advice mean simply 4 remote clicks or 4 visible steps (markers) to the left?

It would be great if you could clarify this!

Thanks.
KMA wrote: -quote-
Note in the above table that 0 means that I let the settings remain in the middle (Bang & Olufsen don't use numbers in their menus). The contrast value of -4 means that I moved the level four stops to the left.
-end quote-

By saying that you moved the value 4 stops to the left, what do you mean by "stops"? The B&O menu has a dotted line for each setting, where you can move the position of the settings marker or cursor. Do the settings mean that you moved the contrast level 4 "markers" (visible steps) to the left, or that you simply clicked on the remote 4 times to the left?

The graphic indicator (marker) in the adjustments does not move a full stop (visible step) each time the remote key is pressed, hence my question:

Does your advice mean simply 4 remote clicks or 4 visible steps (markers) to the left?
Yeah I see your point. Each step has more clicks to it than just one. It's kinda strange but what I mean is that you should move it four clicks to the left with the remote. Not four "markers".

What are your initial impressions with the BeoVision 10 yourself?
By f900
Hello, I'm new to this forum.
Thank you for these excellent reviews! :)
I am from France, currently have a Bang & Olufsen Avant 32' (yes the old one...) with a complete B&O home cinema speaker system and am upgrading to the new Beovision 10 which should be delivered in the next few days, hopefully (with the stand and the anti reflective coating).
I'll try to post some impressions although I'm not too much of an expert (And considering this is my first HD screen!) after I've used it a bit.

Thank you again, best regards!
By f900
Can't wait to receive it... Will be quite a (welcome) change from my trusty old CRT! :)
I'll read the 7-55 review for sure, like I enjoyed the one of the 8-40 also.

I have a quick question meanwhile:

Does anyone have any idea if the BV10 is or will be 3D compatible?
I think 3D requires at least 120Hz and HDMi 1.4 and the BV10 is well above the 120Hz and could perhaps be upgraded to 1.4 later on, but besides that I have absolutely no clue...
I emailed B&O Denmark with the question and the answer I got was: "Please contact your B&O dealer" who does not know himself...

Many thanks!
f900 wrote: Does anyone have any idea if the BV10 is or will be 3D compatible?
I think 3D requires at least 120Hz and HDMi 1.4 and the BV10 is well above the 120Hz and could perhaps be upgraded to 1.4 later on, but besides that I have absolutely no clue...
I emailed B&O Denmark with the question and the answer I got was: "Please contact your B&O dealer" who does not know himself...
No, I can't be done unfortunately.

The 200 / 240 Hz on BeoVision is frame interpolation. This means that it receives a 50 Hz signal (in PAL countries) and a 60 Hz signal (in NTSC countries) and then interpolates (read: calculates new pictures based on the existing ones) three new pictures every time it receives one.

3D requires 120 Hz input signals (BeoVision 10 only supports 50 & 60 Hz) in order to transmit two streams; one for each eye. The high bandwidth therefore requires HDMI 1.4 and BeoVision 10 only has 1.3. I'm pretty sure it's a HDMI 1.3 hardware controller so a firmware update will not be able to upgrade the HDMI input controller.
By f900
Wow, thank you so much for your detailed answer, I finally got the answer to the question I had since I heard of the BV10!
And at last, I understand the technical side of the issue much better now.

Well, too bad, although not essential, that would have been nice for a brand new equipment.

My last hope would be that B&O proposes a hardware upgrade in the future, that's one of the nice things about their equipment. I upgraded the Dolby surround card on my BV Avant 32' from Pro Logic to Digital a few years ago. But I have no idea if it could be at all possible for 3D...
Anyway, like I said, not essential :)

Many thanks again!
It could be done but I think it requires replacement of the entire video board. And I'm not sure that the actual LCD panel in BeoVision 10 supports the high refresh rates.

I asked B&O some days ago about their 3D plans and the answer was that they're monitoring the 3D market and the direction but they have no concrete plans for 3DTV's at the moment. :)
By f900
Yep, sounds like B&O, they'll probably take years before they choose to adopt a new technology or not.
But I suppose the good thing about that is : If B&O makes it, chances are the technology is here to stay a while :)

Many thanks for your replies!

Cheers
By KMA
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
KMA wrote: -quote-
-end quote-

Yeah I see your point. Each step has more clicks to it than just one. It's kinda strange but what I mean is that you should move it four clicks to the left with the remote. Not four "markers".

What are your initial impressions with the BeoVision 10 yourself?
Thanks for your answer, I ended up adjusting the contrast 4 clicks to the left.

As for my initial impressions, BV10 is truly a piece of art. Picture is fantastic, sound is very good for a slim TV, although I will be adding a subwoofer to the setup.

My only slight disappointment is the backlight: it is not even. My BeoVision 10 exhibits clouding that is quite visible in darker viewing conditions, when the picture completely black or almost completely black (during the end credits of a movie, for example). One lighter area at the top part of the screen (a blotch) is most annoyingly visible.

A friend of mine also got a BV10 recently, and his backlight exhibits similar un-evenness: he has two lighter spots on the screen.

I am hesitant to have the screen serviced, because I might end up with a panel that is even worse. Also, any local B&O service cannot calibrate a new panel to the most optimal settings (there's always little variation between panels), because they lack the instruments used at the factory.

I am hoping that the un-evenness will heal with time; this has been the case with one BV10 owner that I know of.

Hence, to minimize the visibility of the lighter area, I set the backlight 3 clicks lower, which helped a bit, without making the picture too dark.

The backlight looks perfect in daylight; the clouding is only visible in the evening at dimmer lighting conditions.

This issue aside, I am very happy with the TV! Superb depth and colors in the picture!
That's a shame. Clouding will not vanish over time but it might heal a little over time as you say.

Our sample had no significant clouding but I know that the Edge LED panel used in the BV10 varies in regards to clouding issues. You're right. You might end up getting an even worse BV10 but I'm in no doubt that a lot of the panels in the BV10's have zero or very insignificant clouding.

I have seen, hmm 4-5 BV10s myself. 2 had some significant clouding. One of them had almost nothing and the 2 last ones had no clouding issues.
Any update on when the BEOVISION 7-55 REVIEW will be up?

On a seperate note, does anyone have an opinion on the ability to use B&O speakers (2 x beolab 1, 2 x beolab 6000, 1 x beolab 2) with Non B&O reciever/Blue ray/TV to create 5.1 surround sound? Is it better to use the RCA plug on the speakers or get the POWERLINK converter (to RCA) cables? How is the sound compared to using all B&O equipment?