A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Kuschelmonschter
Thanks for having a look at the motion engine too!

Just to stress that one more time... I think that motion interpolation is a good thing to make up for the uneven source fps <> output Hz discrepancy (like 50fps @ 60Hz) which inevitably introduces micro-stuttering. There are engines (like on Sony) that can compensate it pretty well, without introducing a soap opera effect or too many artefacts if you don't crank up that Smoothness slider. I do care about image quality, but I am not a purist. I probably know more about it than most people who start crying around when they hear the term "motion interpolation".

With my origin being HTPC, I had a fair share of issues with refresh rate switching in the past. Moreover it is not seamless and I absolutely hate the inconsistent UI reaction times. UI at 24Hz is downright awful.

Here is how my perfect motion system looks like with a true 120Hz panel:
  • 24p is played with a 5:5 without any motion interpolation
  • 30/60fps content (either i or p) is played at a 2:2 or 4:4 without any motion interpolation
  • ONLY PAL content (25/50fps) is motion interpolated to 30/60fps and each frame is shown for 2 resp. 4 refresh cycles on the 120Hz panel without further interpolation (to not stress soap opera)
Things are again different for 24p content when using an external player via HDMI where you are limited to max. 60Hz output. Still a TV could detect and reverse a 3:2 pulldown and perform a 5:5 on the 120Hz panel.

PAL content is getting less anyway. Most stuff on Netflix and Amazon is 24p and even on YouTube you will find much more 24/30/60fps than PAL content. Phone cameras hardly ever shoot PAL by default, even in Europe. PAL nowadays is only used for legacy TV production.
By Rasmus Larsen
Kuschelmonschter wrote:Here is how my perfect motion system looks like with a true 120Hz panel
I just wish that the TV industry at large would implement true adaptive frame rate. Think AMD FreeSync but modified for the TV video chain.

It will take some time but with the imminent introduction of HFR, now would be the right time to do it.
By Rasmus Larsen
Danny80 wrote:I was wondering if you experienced any motion problems with 1080i video?
B7 behaves like E7 in this regard. It's not perfect, and I think Sony's de-interlacing is more refined, but we did not experience any major issues.

We're aware that some have complained about "combing" issues but we didn't see it. We have 1080i feeds coming in via DVB-C from Danish broadcasters.
By Whatamada
Flatpanels wrote:Our review of LG B7 OLED is online. It is LG's most affordable 2017 OLED with features such as 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and webOS 3.5
Link: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php? ... 1506590109

If you have questions please use this thread.

Enjoy.
Great review as always :)
If not taking money as a factor, which OLED has the best overall picture?
Since every brand has their own strength, which is the winner of them all?
By Danny80
Rasmus Larsen wrote: ... we're aware that some have complained about "combing" issues but we didn't see it. We have 1080i feeds coming in via DVB-C from Danish broadcasters.
What about DVB-T? Should I worry about motion issues when watching 1080i TV channels via DVB-T?

Thank you!
By Rasmus Larsen
Whatamada wrote:Great review as always :)
If not taking money as a factor, which OLED has the best overall picture?
Since every brand has their own strength, which is the winner of them all?
We haven't reviewed the Panasonic EZ1000, which has received lots of praise but based on those that we have tested, we think Sony A1 has the edge, mostly due to Sony's picture processing. That's seen from a broad perspective, all things considered.

LG B7 on the other hand offers Dolby Vision and lower input lag, which some may value higher, so it also comes down to your personal needs. But Sony A1 remains our reference TV for now.

Also, the list of TV review scores should give a good overview :)
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?s ... 1440156585
By Rasmus Larsen
Danny80 wrote:What about DVB-T? Should I worry about motion issues when watching 1080i TV channels via DVB-T?

Thank you!
I can't promise that you won't but we didn't spot it. It may be that LG has addressed the issue in a firmware update at some point but as mentioned we have only checked LG's 2017 OLED models via a DVB-C source.
By Danny80
Kuschelmonschter wrote:
If your only concern is image quality, go for it, otherwise read my review about Sony Android TV.
What really confused me is the “Everything 60Hz” section of your review. Does this mean that every time I use Kodi (or even Sony’s pre-installed media player) to watch a movie via USB drive I’ll get either judder or Soap Opera Effect??
By Kuschelmonschter
Does this mean that every time I use Kodi (or even Sony’s pre-installed media player) to watch a movie via USB drive I’ll get either judder or Soap Opera Effect??
Have you ever compared 24p movie playback at 60Hz and 24Hz (on a 120Hz panel with a 5:5)? A 24p movie has some inherent judder due to the low frame rate. To my eyes a 3:2 pulldown on a 60Hz screen does not add much to that. That's why I think that the 24p issue is overhyped. Playing PAL at 60Hz hurts much more.

Motion interpolation does not necessarily imply a soap opera effect. It of course happens when you interpolate 50/60fps or even 24/25/30fps all the way up to 100/120fps. But what if you just frame rate convert from 24 to 25fps and just display every frame for 2 resp. 4 refresh cycles to get to your 50 resp. 100Hz? No soap opera. You can parametrize a Sony in that regard. Put the motion smoothness slider in the middle and there won't be any pronounced soap opera effect while reducing judder.

At least that's my opinion. But as I said so many times, I am no purist.
By Danny80
Thank you for your reply Kuschelmonschter.

It's just that I'm rather sensitive to every sign of judder/stutter and want a TV with as smooth motion as possible. I can spend up to 2000 euros and my first choice was LG B7 but recently found out about possible motion problems on 1080i video (although flatpanelshd don't confirm). Another choice would be Sony XE9305 but your Android review discouraged me a bit.
It seems I can't decide which TV to buy!
By Onaga
Do you guys left oled light at 60 for a dark room to??

the eye strein is killing me, i watch mvoies most of the time in a very dark room