TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
By Konrad
Hi everybody!
I'm new here and looking to buy a 75" LED TV! Lots of info about the Sonys and Samsung but not so much about this LG which is quite interesting price wise. Any help?
I'm not looking at OLED for the moment as there are none available in this size.
Thank you!
By Rasmus Larsen
LG uses IPS LCD panels, which are characterized by poor black levels but wide viewing angles. Sony and Samsung often use VA LCD panels that have deeper black levels but limited viewing angles.

I would suggest that you look for a full array local dimming LCD at 75"+. Sony XE90 is an affordable option but there are also more high-end options available such as Sony ZD9.
By Konrad
Thanks Rasmus
I'm aware of the Sony FALD models, the XE90 would indeed be the one possibly within my budget, but from what I read it has a very limited number of local dimming zones, so I'm not sure how big an advantage this would be. As for black levels, I currently have an entry level Samsung 65" (65 JU6070, basic 4K but no HDR), how could this compare? I'm more interested by picture size than absolute picture quality. Also Android TV seems to be quite the disaster, so I tended to turn elsewhere. On the other hand, am I right in assuming that the TV's OS is not an issue as long as I use the interface of a set top box for cable TV or Apple TV for streaming, which I do for all my viewing?
By Rasmus Larsen
Yes, as long as you use Apple TV and a cable box, you can mostly bypass Android TV. I say mostly because it also controls HDMI input switching but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Your current JU6070 is based on a VA LCD panel with direct LED so switching to an LG LCD would negatively affect black levels in a visible way, if you ask me. If you are planning to watch HDR avoid IPS LCD. I don't know hwo big the price difference between a 75" LG LCD and the 75" Sony XE90 is in your region but despite the limited number of zones it would still give you a much better HDR picture and an overall better HD and 4K picture in my opinion.
By Konrad
Thank you again for your advice, I have set my eyes on a Sony XE9005, I'll watch the prices towards Christmas, don't want to break the bank completely as there will probably be affordable 77" OLEDs in two three years...