A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Flatpanels
Our review of the Sony A9F (USA) / AF9 (Europe) is online. It is Sony's new flagship OLED TV with an upgraders processor, 4K Dolby Vision, Acoustic Surface+ speakers, and Android Oreo.

If you have questions please use this thread.

Enjoy.
The pros/cons section in the end does not seem to reflect the AF9...
+ Full array local dimming
+ Color reproduction, processing
+ One Connect box
+ Well-functioning OS
+ Great remote control

- Narrow viewing angles
- Backlight sometimes gets “confused“
- Tizen not getting updates
It has also gained support for HDMI eARC that allows it to handle lossless audio, including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
That's nice in theory... So far, Sony didn't even support the ENCODING_DTS API for ARC and S/PDIF passthrough via apps. So it leaves to be seen what formats those TVs do in real life for both, apps and external HDMI devices.
There was no response from those mics. Google Assistant isn't working on the AF9 in Denmark.
Kuschelmonschter wrote:The pros/cons section in the end does not seem to reflect the AF9...
Copy/paste error from our template.
Kuschelmonschter wrote:Would have been interesting to know whether they can catch up the spoken word very well. I have my doubts on that.
That's nice in theory... So far, Sony didn't even support the API for ARC and S/PDIF passthrough via apps. So it leaves to be seen what formats those TVs do in real life for both, apps and external HDMI devices.
Continuing with the positive attitude I see.
Continuing with the positive attitude I see.
Well, considering how they f*'ed up Kodi this time... yes indeed.

BTW, if you change the package ID of the Kodi APK to something else, it installs just fine. So it looks to have been blacklisted due to problems. Kodi in fact only starts when audio output is being set to external audio system, but not when being set to TV internal speakers. So yes, I have zero faith in this company to get things right.
And we get that. You have made that clear over and over again.
According to Kodi community, the following passthrough formats are supported:
Code: Select all
20:19:15.072 T:18446744072875407728   DEBUG: Firmware implements AC3 RAW
20:19:15.089 T:18446744072875407728   DEBUG: Firmware implements EAC3 RAW
20:19:15.105 T:18446744072875407728   DEBUG: Firmware implements DTS RAW
20:19:15.123 T:18446744072875407728   DEBUG: Firmware implements DTS-HD RAW
So they seem to have added DTS and DTS HD RAW support. No True HD RAW and IEC61937 API support though.

Guess Sony added DTS support because of the IMAX Enhanced program that they are part of.
Sony users can reduce the effect by deactivating “remote start"
I recorded power consumption over night in a 1s interval with both, "Remote start" enabled and disabled. Curve looked exactly the same. Takes 1-2h for the TV to go into deep sleep after turning it off and then wakes up every 3-5 minutes.
A few times, the TV even woke up our devices connected over HDMI.
I can reproduce an issue in that regard too. But it only happens with an Apple TV connected to the BRAVIA. When the Sony wakes up, it also seems to trigger the Apple TV somehow (it does not completely turn on but when measuring power consumption of the Apple TV you can see that something is indeed happening) which in turn turns on the soundbar connected to the BRAVIA via ARC.
AF9 and ZF9 now support Project Treble. Due to the additional required partition, usable mass storage has been reduced to 6GB. Why not putting in a 32GB flash?

ATV2 models most likely won't get support for Project Treble. Too high is the risk of bricking the device due to repartitioning. This most likely also means that support for the older platform will soon cease to exist.
Torben, is there an English audio version available for the imbedded Android menu video? Forgive me, but it’s font is in Danish or Germanic and moves a bit fast for my limited experience to follow. Some narrative guidance might help.

Also, is there any new word on Sony/Google addressing the reported issue with the TV “waking up” unnecessarily? I’m on the fence telling my dealer whether to bring the ordered A8 to the scheduled install next week or upgrade to an A9.

Thanks for the work you do! I’ve wavered from taking the leap to a modern TV for several years, but came close a couple times. Your reviews are a great help, and now that our old eyes are struggling with text and streamer thumbnails on our old 2008 Sony 32”, it’s time to jump; and hope software updates mitigate any regrets for not waiting out tech morphing any longer.
Sorry. No English video. What part of the UI would you like to know about?