TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
Well, things were slow here from the ces floor, so I got looking for answers, and happily found some great stuff.

In another post I mentioned that all the delays at Samsung seem to be adding up to something (not just full hdr1000 support). Well, it looks like it was right.

Samsung has accelerated its launch of emissive Qled to 2020. In another article I found, they have managed to make a coating technology work all at once for flexible pled and it talks about implementations in a factory (don't know the details, but it makes it sound like stamping which I mentioned as something I would try to produce nano leds, but the language isn't clear. When I say stamping, this can include roller technology too).

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/news/236e13e

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/news/254d125
Samsung wasn't talking QD-OLED or self-emissive QLED at CES this year. And the QDCF + LCD project seems to have been put on ice. TCL claimed that QD-OLED - which is likely to come before self-emissive QLED - is probably still at least 3 years away. But who knows :)

The source also talks 100+ 8K TVs from Samsung in 2019. That didn't happen at CES. It may still happen later this year of course but take everything with a grain of salt. Even local Korean newspapers are often wrong (evidenced by the last few years of reports).
Source link: http://www.etnews.com/20180903000337?mc=em_003_00001
I tend to trust industry news sources more, like eetimes even, or people who reference them, or have insider knowledge.

Emissive had very poor results, so I wonder how much life the first emissive will have 1000nit+ HDR use, even SDR, and if bigger sizes are needed. So, this leaves a spot for QD coated Leds to service more demanding applications, even before hand.

Now, which is which they are talking about. Printed OLED is suppose to revolutionise the industry, but still has not. So, still likely more expensive than LCD, but cheaper than microled, but with HDR limitation which still puts ahead of a Q7. So, I expect that LCD will continue until poled costs come down. But, that means a Q7 like screen could become the low end. Very exciting, with lesser screens maybe abandoned (maybe hotel). They have LCD factory capacity, which most likely has to be used somewhere until it is converted over. So LCD might continue, and even n a lesser NU like product which can go to commercial channel (nu8000 and Q6, good for hotel/motel market, say). So yes, maybe we will see QD on OLED latter this year, at least demo, as everything lines up for some of these scenarios.

In the computer professional industry, we need yesterday what can be done, even just to produce content that tomorrow's consumer sets can take advantage of. The consumer industry has been royally screwing us over, from standards, to HDMI, to bluray dictating and holding back technology to drip feed at great prices in underwhelming consumer tech. We need these things years before hand to have a collection of content ready for when the consumer versions are released. So, 8k cameras are like 5-10 years behind, 8k displays over 10 years, forcing us to work on paltry pricey fullhd tiny displays when 8k was ready. It all stagnated when the computer services product industry lined up with fullhd. Even Apple, who were big enough to make what resolution they wanted, barely got to 5k. Forcing people to buy $50k like Dolby monitors to just grade next generation to a reasonable level, instead of $5k. But this goes on, there were so many industries which could have used better. But, this is really something to investigate for anti-trust issues, if they had allowed free standards to the highest the spec could do for work products, sure a big big monitor might cost $50k to begin with, but it means the 4k version would be much less, and the consumer fullhd and 720p version less again, over 12 years ago. By the time the 8k+ big version comes down to $10k, the fullhd and 4k consumer versions would gave to start charging realistic prices by 8-10 years ago, and 8k might have been $2k this year. The professional industry, and that means all of society they serve, has suffered more than the extra profit the consumer industry has made in order for them to be richer. It's already insane and damaging. The computer industry definitely were big enough enough to set the pace if unfettered and technology production and standards were not dictated by others.

I'm going say something. PCI-E 5.0 is out, it should firm the basis of many standards. This means thunderbolt, which uses it, will now be in the post 8k era, as far as data rates go. But the original display port could have taken more lines yielding 8k back then. Even using unmodified display port sockets, it would have been simple to make a plug and cable which plugged into multiple side by side display port sockets at once to deliver the same thing. Even diing this with existing USB-c socket display port, you could get 8k 240fps 3D Kirk screen now. As 8k is now allowed by the consumer industry owned panel makers, maybe we can get such a thing. The blue phase LCD technology could certainly support it, if its still under development. OLED would have issues. Microled is large at the moment, but naboled, if practical might be an option. If you went to a consumer manufacturer and asked when this would be available, it likely would be on their marketing plan 2024-2028 etc, after the initial 8k milking or be expensive. What is going happen after 2028 etc, is an issue. There is not really much milking to be had unless you can do better glasses free 3D versions, and then more VR like 3D in a holodeck like situation is the logical step to go to. This, interestingly, is more interactive, requiring computer processing, like a console. So, Sony might be able to be able advantage of this with a future console. This logically means the rest of the industry needs a content standard to start providing content. The computer industry is the one they should turn to. At the moment, web assembly and JavaScript form a nice basis for a current standard to start cooperation. If they start when they are going to get owned by Sony in a future decade with a new content standard, there will not be enough time to develop the content against Sony, and a buy in with somebody like a future Microsoft Xbox, could work. So there is the solution, a standard by which such content machines can control the display, where Sony gets double profit and can offer the set with console at cost price, and still undercut future competitors sales to make profit off services. An interesting thing is, what will this "holodeck" interface he like. A full startrek thing can be rather complex, but I've envisioned a simpler VR version to be a pair of audio glasses. Add to that mind scanning technology, and at least you can sit there, taking years to perfect the content before better technology is there. Having free movement while in VR, means you bump into things and fall over. Having a harness, like in the old movies, leads to pressure sores etc from continual pressure from your wait. Having a suite can receive and manipulate pressure points, but is not something you can get into or out if too easily (I gave a design). Another option is ball bearing wheels, where the entire surface s and array of ball bearings, which you then control to give realistic feeling of movement without running into other things, like other players, but able yo actually run fall down and eben roll, requiring just a harness to offer resistance (I'm getting into my own plans). But thus requires a suite for more reality, like to produce a feeling if wait as you hold something, and substance. Still there are limitations, and the harness gets in the way. So you gave to float in place, and useless you gave fancy startrek like tech, a suite again. Now you can get a lot of feeling with free motion, and biofeedback. I have designs, but not the safest. But you really need antigravity. We don't officially have that yet. So, yes, you can get a long way, but it puts a new spin on needing a hone theatre room for the setup.