TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
We are traveling to London on Thursday for LG's 2019 launch event. Here we will get a chance to check out the new OLED and LCD models. There is a alsoa Q&A with the TV engineers.

Is there anything in particular that you want to know? We can put it on our list.
For 2019 OLED lineup:

As much detail as possible about black frame insertion. If it's possible, for instance, to have BFI working with 120fps sources, including 60fps interpolated to 120fps.

What is the available VRR range in Hz. This is especially relevant for console gaming, as console games often have framerates in the lower thirties. Does VRR offer LFC (Low Framerate Compensation)?
Rasmus Larsen wrote:I'll try to get more info on BFI.

As for VRR, that one I already know:
- LG 2019 OLED will have a VRR range of 40-120Hz
- LG 2019 "NanoCell" will have a VRR range of 48-120Hz
Yes, this is why LFC is important. Having the bottom of the range at 40 or 48Hz makes it pretty much useless for consoles (where many games aim at 30fps and often end up lower than that).

1080p or even for 4K?

Another Question:
I have read about a Inputlag 12.9ms, but not really specified 2K? 4K? 60Hz? 120hz?
I know the event has already happened but it would be nice to have some clarification from LG regarding BFI.
At CES presentations we were shown BFI as configurable Off/Low/Medium/High.
Now the first owners of 65C9 are saying that in the menus they have a simple on/off toggle for BFI.
gorman wrote:For 2019 OLED lineup:

As much detail as possible about black frame insertion. If it's possible, for instance, to have BFI working with 120fps sources, including 60fps interpolated to 120fps.

What is the available VRR range in Hz. This is especially relevant for console gaming, as console games often have framerates in the lower thirties. Does VRR offer LFC (Low Framerate Compensation)?
The only thing regarding motion + 100/120fps content that I was able to confirm is that "TruMotion is not active for HFR video content". Whether that extends to BFI, I don't know yet but we should soon receive a C9 sample.

Regarding VRR, this was what I was able to confirm: VRR range as described earlier (40-120Hz for 4K OLED). TV signals to source device its supported range. Don't know about LFC yet. I've asked them about what happens when i.e. Xbox One X drops below 40 but they didn't have a clear answer yet. To be fair, it was a busy event. They couldn't confirm that it will work with Xbox One X but said that it might. I'm not sure if the guys at the event had been directly involved in implementing VRR into LG 2019 TVs.
MrStruders wrote:Have they rid the oleds from banding because thats one major issue they need to sort out cheers
LG Electronics didn't want to go into details about the actual OLED panel. In general they've started referring to LG Display for these types of questions. The London event was hosted by LG Electronics so unfortunately there were no LG Display representatives available for comment.
MoffeD wrote:Ask them when they will launch a "one-connect box" without a speaker. And tell them that I will buy a LG oled then =)
They currently have the W9 with an external box/soundbar. Unsurprisingly, they didn't want to comment on plans for 2020 :)
staffan.molin wrote:Does the VRR implementation mean you can have Vsync off to lower input lag and the performance hit without getting screen tearing?
yes, it's similar to FreeSync (but not the same, according to LG, HDMI group, and others).
ssj3rd wrote:

1080p or even for 4K?

Another Question:
I have read about a Inputlag 12.9ms, but not really specified 2K? 4K? 60Hz? 120hz?
That's 4K. I forgot to ask about 1080p actually - sorry. I'll follow up soon.

Input lag of 12.9 ms is for HD and 4K, with or without HDR. In the past, tone-mapping would add some additional lag because it was applied after input but not it's done at the entry point so it's the same for HD and 4K, HDR or not.

They hadn't tested with 120Hz input yet as they didn't have a source device. They didn't provide an input lag figure for VRR either.
bean wrote:Will there be any limitations for 120hz inputs? Will their chip be able to handle all features at that frame rate (like post-processing, BFI, dynamic tone mapping in HDR game mode)?
4K120 via HDMI should work with 10-bit HDR. Don't know about 4K120 10-bit 4:4:4 yet.

Lots of maybes here. LG representatives said that TruMotion will not work with HFR. BFI "probably not". Dynamic tone-mapping "probably yes".
stipest wrote:Please ask for more information of 48'' OLED?
Tnx
They didn't want to comment, and again referred to LG Display. However, didn't sound like it will happen this year.
gorman wrote:I know the event has already happened but it would be nice to have some clarification from LG regarding BFI.
At CES presentations we were shown BFI as configurable Off/Low/Medium/High.
Now the first owners of 65C9 are saying that in the menus they have a simple on/off toggle for BFI.
Perhaps they decided just to exclude the options that gave strong flicker? Would be a good decision in my opinion. But I'll check with LG as soon as we have a sample for testing.
Som extra tidbits:
- Cinema Home will have 'AI Brightness' for HDR built-in. It adapts the PQ curve (i.e. to enhance shadow details) based on input form the light sensor, so based on how bright the viewing environment is. For Dolby Vision content, it uses a proprietary algorithm developed by Dolby since LG is not allowed to alter the PQ curve for DV. For HDR10 and HLG, it uses LG's own algorithm.
- 'Peak brightness' setting options will work with SDR and HDR video, but do different things. For HDR, it will lower peak brightness, while for SDR it can increase overall brightness
- The Rollable R9 will be available only in Korea and the US initially. No date for other regions. No price yet.
- Still no backup / save option for AutoCal. Other new features are the ones we have already covered (roll-off for 1000, 4000, 10000 nits HDR content etc.)
- Still no news about HDMi QMS.