TVs, including LCD/LED, plasma, OLED, and more. Ask for buying advice, or help others, share experiences etc.
First of all this is my first post here so Hello Everyone :)

My family just bought a new tv and we wanted a 43-50 inch so it would fit well.
Our budget was small so our options were limited to pretty much entry level series only like nu7100, sony xf660, lg pus6501, lg uk6300 and a few other no name brands.

After looking at many TVs in store playing a local hd sport channel we liked sony 50wf660 image for great colors, contrast, viewing angles etc
Only problem is this TV is not 4k and not sure about hdr.

At home we watch form a distance of around 2-2.5 meters away and non high quality content looks awful. Even some 1080p youtube music videos don't look that well, like they lack crispness, but a hd bluray looks quite good for example.

Do you think we made a horrible mistake ?
Would a 4k hdr tv have been able to display lower quality content better ?
Will the tv become completely obsolete in 2-3 years ?
Hi and welcome!

The TV will continue to work after 2-3 years. Don't worry about that. Pretty much all streaming services and playback devices are adapting their video output to fit the TV, so you will just automatically get a 1080p video feed to it.

A 4K TV will not be able to improve low-quality video sources much. In the end, what matters is the video material. That's why HD Blu-ray looks better. What determines picture quality is instead the display panel and video processor. We usually say go for the VA LCD type (like the one you picked and Samsung NU7100) unless you want wide viewing angles. Otherwise pick IPS LCD (like LG UK6300). VA LCD has good contrast but narrow viewing angles. Vice versa for IPS LCD.

I would say that you will probably get better picture quality with Samsung NU7100 but not because it is 4K per se. Just because it has an overall better LCD panel + video processor. But I guess it'll also be more expensive. Whether that's worth it is hard to say. Depends on your needs and wants :)
Rasmus Larsen wrote:Hi and welcome!

The TV will continue to work after 2-3 years. Don't worry about that. Pretty much all streaming services and playback devices are adapting their video output to fit the TV, so you will just automatically get a 1080p video feed to it.

A 4K TV will not be able to improve low-quality video sources much. In the end, what matters is the video material. That's why HD Blu-ray looks better. What determines picture quality is instead the display panel and video processor. We usually say go for the VA LCD type (like the one you picked and Samsung NU7100) unless you want wide viewing angles. Otherwise pick IPS LCD (like LG UK6300). VA LCD has good contrast but narrow viewing angles. Vice versa for IPS LCD.

I would say that you will probably get better picture quality with Samsung NU7100 but not because it is 4K per se. Just because it has an overall better LCD panel + video processor. But I guess it'll also be more expensive. Whether that's worth it is hard to say. Depends on your needs and wants :)
Thank you very much for your answer !

The funny part is the sony was actually one of the most expensive in our budget.
In my country prices were like this:

LG 50uk6300mlb 1729 RON
Samsung 49nu7172: 1780 RON
Philips 50PUS6503 1780 RON
Samsung mu6100 1800 RON
LG 50uk6470plc 1800 RON
Sony 50WF660 1900 RON
Philips PUS6703 1940 RON

Also we heard good things about this TV:
LG 50uk6950plb 2100 RON

But our maximum budget was 2000 RON

In your opinion would it make sense to return the sony for any of the other models? Would there be a significant difference in panel quality / processor ?

Thank you very much.
I had a 2016 LG 4k TV model with IPS panel. It was the UH850V. That was admittedly a higher end model that I got pretty cheap on sale. The only reason I returned it was the horrible edge-lit local dimming bars that would appear on dark scenes. Otherwise, the picture quality was spectacular and I really loved the HDR Effect that somehow magically made even crappy video sources look quite exciting. It's possible that 50uk6950plb also has a similarly good video processor but best thing is to take a USB containing some low quality videos representative of what you are going to watch on this TV and try viewing them on a demo TV at the shop, especially in HDR Effect mode. If you love what you see, you know the answer to your question.
I did eventually ended up returning that sony tv.
Then waited a bit and managed to save a bit more money for a samsung 49q6fn which got a nice discount in this period.
I can say without a doubt the quality on this tv is much better, even with the same lower quality content and same internet connection.
The screen looks brighter and clearer.
So in the end I'm happy I made the change and it was worth the extra money.