A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
Fantastic review. Made me want to go out and buy the 77-inch model. But I have one concern. No HDR10+. Did LG miss the boat with this now that HDR10+ has been adopted by 20th Century Fox, Warner (Will have 100 titles in HDR10+ soon) Universal Pictures & Amazon (1000 titles in HDR10+)
Can HDR10+ be added by an update and if so when?
fAST BOOTS wrote:LG and SpectraCal they all know that there is this problem, why not fix it ?
They think that Dolby Vision does not require calibrating? :)
Don't know but if I get a chance I will try to ask the right people again at IFA later this year.
bonnermartin wrote:Fantastic review. Made me want to go out and buy the 77-inch model. But I have one concern. No HDR10+. Did LG miss the boat with this now that HDR10+ has been adopted by 20th Century Fox, Warner (Will have 100 titles in HDR10+ soon) Universal Pictures & Amazon (1000 titles in HDR10+)
Can HDR10+ be added by an update and if so when?
We keep hearing that HDR10+ is right "around the corner". Maybe it is but it doesn't appear to have strong momentum in my opinion. Amazon's HDR10+ library is just some auto-conversion. The same seems to be the case for Warner's HDR10+ content. LG argues that its TVs can use its dynamic tone-mapping system to mimic the effect of HDR10+ by analyzing pictures.

Dolby Vision is supported by all major studios. Take Warner for example. They have released 111 titles in Dolby Vision: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1505495519

In our testing HDR10+ actually has very little impact on picture quality with high-end TVs such as OLED TVs. It’s more relevant on mid-range TVs where the dynamic metadata can help compensate for the TV’s weaker display hardware. I don’t think it’s a deal-breaker at all.
I dont think people are noticing where you put that warning that you drop points when companies can let you know about updates so in reality the c9 would of gotten an even higher score and you probably took it from the festures because the a9g def doesnt have more festures then the c9 I mean hdmi 2.1 a better operating system freesync and gsync capabilities with 2.1 and 2.2 channel sound just a little weird because festures lg has been rated everywhere else to have the most festures out of any TV available I do think you nailed the image quality spot on and everything else but the score on festures should of been at least the same as the a9g but again the drop in points because of them not telling you about the future updates may of been why you took it off so everyone if they would of told them about that they would of raised it by 10 points they take 10 points away because of it
By JMR
Very good review as usual. I just got a 65C9 to replace a Q9FN and I’m very happy with it so far.

I note “Peak Brightness” is greyed out when using the “Game” picture mode (which makes no sense to me), but I realize your review says:

“Another new feature this year is the option to turn on game mode with any picture mode in the TV, which means that you can now select either 'Game' picture mode (which is not very picture accurate) or you can chose to flip on a game switch when the TV is running in other picture modes.”

Where you referring to using ALLM? I would like to game outside the “Game” picture mode and be able to use “Peak Brightness”, how could I do that?

Thank you for your help.
Please let lg know alot of us are experiencing raised blacks with hdr and Dolby vision its stuck on auto and seems to be making the black levels at high especially in cinema home and standard and bright modes even sometimes on cinema if the source is on auto and as you know with Netflix and other sources you cant change how it's set I'm watching aquaman on google play movies right now and its raised balcks I bought it on vudu just to check also and its raised blacks on there to even in cinema mode on google play movies because the balck is set to auto I dont get why in auto its reading black level high that's all I can think it is we need people to oet lg know about it people in forums are also experiencing it some arent paying attention and I've talked to a few reviewers they also noticed raised blacks including rtings well after this last update it seems worse I've only seen a few movies in hdr without raised blacks look closely sometimes even in content with the letterbox bars being pitch black the tv still reads raises blacks somehow but we just need lg to fix this just talked to another reviewer today that was getting raised blacks also when doing the comparison with the Panasonic especially on Dolby vision it was in almost all the content he watched also when in cinema home and again cinema sometimes works fine unless the source sets it to auto then that gets raised blacks also it's literally whatever setting is set to auto and again you cant change it on any source like Netflix vudu google play movies or anywhere you can with cable of course but really it's annoying why the hell wont they let us choose it or automatically put it to low like samsung and others do lg really needs to fix this again. The only thing that makes sense is it's when the tv is set to auto because if it isnt on auto and its put on low it doesnt happen with hdr sources it's bad because so much content is Dolby vision and hdr now so it's getting really annoying not being able to sue my tv for hdr content without putting brightness down to 40 to get the blacks to level out yeah that low to get it then when you watch the letterbox bars when the raised balcks are there you can see it dithering on them because its above black like it's trying to give you shadow detail I've talked to multiple sources all of them stated it did it to them some didnt even notice until I told them then they saw it
"This is basically next-generation picture enhancement and it is not something we can endorse. We do not agree with the sentiment that a TV's job is to enhance the picture. In our view, a TV's job is to respect the content (colors, frame rate etc) and present it in the most accurate way possible."

Whilst I broadly agree with that point of view - and it's clearly a problem if TVs produce bad colors, and introduce artefacts into the image - it's worth remembering that TVs are dealing with the consequences of standards, the quality of equipment available/affordable, and the passage of time. Creators didn't choose to have cinema projectors run at 24fps, or TVs to run at 25/30fps in different regions, or their films or videotape showing signs of degradation after 30 years of use and/or storage.

I don't necessarily think it's wrong for TVs to produce the "best" images they can over the widest amount of content - even though I agree that the quality of processing that exists in TVs to date causes more problems than it solves.