A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
Vincent says yes, but all of my other sources within LG are saying either no or maybe, also saying that it may depend on the signal path. I'm still pushing for a definitive answer. I'm not going to hang my hat on it before I have a written statement from LG.
Rasmus Larsen wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 00:48 Vincent says yes, but all of my other sources within LG are saying either no or maybe, also saying that it may depend on the signal path. I'm still pushing for a definitive answer. I'm not going to hang my hat on it before I have a written statement from LG.
Thanks a lot for the update. And the right call imo. I wouldn't hang my hat on it either with such conflicting information from LG themselves.

And I certainly won't gamble way north of a grand on it either and buy a TV with the alpha7gen2 now. Tbh that "signal path" part makes me hesitant to even go for a alpha9gen2 at this point.

Proof is in the pudding as they say. Will wait for GPUs with hdmi 2.1. And decide based on tested IRL results.

Worst thing that can happen is my TV will be even cheaper to buy by then ;-)
Okay, so here's the answer and situation.

HDMI 2.0 is based on a signaling system called TDMS. For HDMI 2.0 it's more or less maxed out. It can theoretically do 4K120 4:2:0 8-bit. That's what Samsung is doing in some of its 2019 TVs. But it's not really an official spec. So, none of LG 2019 TVs can do 4K120 4:2:0 8-bit over TDMS (HDMI 2.0). This is likely the cause of confusion in this case.

HDMI 2.1 is switching to a new signaling system called FRL when going beyond HDMI 2.0's bandwidth (beyond TDMS). HDMI 2.1 is still required to support TDMS due to backwards compatibility.

So with HDMI 2.1 FRL, LG C9 and B9 will both be capable of receiving 4K120HDR (10-bit) signal. The Alpha 7 in last year's B8 cannot process 4K120HDR, but the upgraded Alpha 7-2 can. The 'issue' is that this is per specifications on the TVs. Since there are no HDMI 2.1 devices available, it is impossible to check. These are LG's words and obviously we can't check or confirm at this point.

In other words. LG B9 will do 4K120HDR via: HDMI 2.1, streaming and USB. 4K120HDR is not supported via tuners.
The reply I got from LG implies that the B9,C9,E9 are capable of recieveing a 4k 120hz HDR but the panels themselves will only display that signal as 4K 60hz HDR....
I guess we will just have to wait until we have some HDMI 2.1 sources to find out.

"Thank you contacting us again at LG customer service. We would firstly like to apologise for the extreme delay in getting back to you regarding your query. We have currently been experiencing higher volumes of emails and we are working diligently to answer each one and therefore apologise for any frustrations that these delays have caused you.

After speaking with our internal Technical Team regarding your query they have advised that this is a limitation of the panel itself and not the processors themselves.

With our models that have 2.1 HDMI ports these can receive 4K HDR at 120HZ but will only display at a limit of 60Hz at this resolution.

We do apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused."