A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By matchstick
Hi, thanks for the review, am looking at getting this as my next TV as am not interested in 3D. What is the difference between this and the LE8900? In the UK the LE8900 has THX mode etc? What is the actual release date? Thanks.
By netojose
Dear Rasmus,

Thank you very much for this and all other reviews, they are truly great.

I would like to ask you about the reflections, would that not be a deal breaker? I would think so but since you gave it your seal, I though I might ask for further comments.

Thanks again,

Jose
By hazarin
Little question concerning comparison of this TV pictures with those from KURO 5090 review. It appears that LGLE8500-LARGE15&17 pictures are exactly the same you used for KURO review, thus one can make fairly good comparison. When I placed them side by side one can clearly see that KURO calibrated picture is brighter and consequently one can see much more detail in darker areas (shadows). One can also see drastic difference in the portaying of the red in the LGLE8500-LARGE15, which is much more aggressive (darker) in comparison to KURO. What will be your comments? Thanks
By Rasmus Larsen
matchstick wrote:Hi, thanks for the review, am looking at getting this as my next TV as am not interested in 3D. What is the difference between this and the LE8900? In the UK the LE8900 has THX mode etc? What is the actual release date? Thanks.
LE8900 is the same TV - just with UK Freeview tuners.

We have also received a note from LG that LE8500 has a THX mode but our sample wasn't approved to use it because it was a pre-sale model. So, all LE8500 and LE8900 models should have THX - I'll update the review text as well.

This probably also mean that you can achieve even better color accuracy on LE8500/LE8900 but I think color gradation is the same. It has some minor bands in the smooth gradients like most LCD-TVs.
By Rasmus Larsen
netojose wrote:Dear Rasmus,

Thank you very much for this and all other reviews, they are truly great.

I would like to ask you about the reflections, would that not be a deal breaker? I would think so but since you gave it your seal, I though I might ask for further comments.

Thanks again,

Jose
I think it's very individual. I think it also depends on the windows in one's home. Personally I have had a lot of plasma TVs on my wall in my apartment. I have a lot of windows and sure, the reflections can be annoying during daytime but most of the time I'm not bothered by it.

Personally I can live with but LE8500 has a lot of reflections. More than a typical plasma TV, too.
By Rasmus Larsen
hazarin wrote:Little question concerning comparison of this TV pictures with those from KURO 5090 review. It appears that LGLE8500-LARGE15&17 pictures are exactly the same you used for KURO review, thus one can make fairly good comparison. When I placed them side by side one can clearly see that KURO calibrated picture is brighter and consequently one can see much more detail in darker areas (shadows). One can also see drastic difference in the portaying of the red in the LGLE8500-LARGE15, which is much more aggressive (darker) in comparison to KURO. What will be your comments? Thanks
Even though you theoretically should be able to compare the pictures you have to watch out not to overanalyze. The shutter time is sometimes a bit different. Also, we didn't use our Canon EOS in the KURO 5090 review but a standard Canon.

But yes, KURO has better shadow detailing. It also has better color reproduction. I still think KURO is better TV and actually still the best TV ever. We still use the KURO as reference. :)
By jool
Hi Rasmus

Thx very much for the review of the LE8500. I was waitin for it desesperately ^^

I think about changin my actual LG 50PS8000 THX that I really love for a LED TV.

I red a lot of stuff about led and It seems the best led technology is the local dimming indeed.

In comparison of my 50PS8000, do you think I'll be really amazed by the 55LE8500 ?

Will I see a lot of differences and better black level, crispy details etc etc ?

Thank you in advance ;-)

JooL

PS: keep on movin', your website is really a good source of knowledge for image geeks like me :-)

PS2: sorry for bad english, french inside ^^
By reqq
I have noticed not only in this test but on others tv tests too that on the iron man screenshot, hes suit is lacking alot of detail. Why is that?
By bfink
thanks for the detailed review, much appreciated. i'm a bit disappointed though that this tv got your award. i mean technically it seems to be pretty much the best thing you can get in the 42" led-class, but i really hate to see that this technology has been locked up behind a mirror.

i mean that's a trend that annoys me for quite some time now in the notebook and netbook segment where every company thought that shiny things sell better even though it makes them unusable in standard situations. there's no reason to make a tv reflect, it's a pure design decision that strongly interferes with usability.

apple tried this last year, now they are back to matt panels. asus tried it with their notebooks, now they offer matt again. and now the tv industry thinks they can succeed by trying the same thing once more?

i guess if they had not gotten the award purely because they followed the decision of the marketing department who voted for shiny that might have been a valuable lesson.

and looking at this years model lineup it seems most companies switched to glossy, which on the other hand makes it nearly impossible for me to get a device i can use.

i have a rather bright living room and white leather furniture, which means i'll watch myself in that tv instead of the movie. and believe me, that's not half as interesting as it sounds.

now that the 42lh9000 is not produced anymore an this one wont work for me, my shortlist looks rather empty. do you know of a matt tv in the 42" class with led and a scanning backlight that has a picture quality comparable the the lg? otherwise i guess i'll have to wait for next years lineup :(
By ktosiek
Hiya guys,
someone tested or know how is input lag on LG 42LE8500? really i wanna know it, and need to know how this TV will be working with xbox360?

btw i wanna buy new TV how u think what should i choice:
1. LG 42LE8500
2. Sharp 40LE820 or 810
3. Sony KDL-40NX800

on my new TV i will use xbox360 and blu-ray.
By minglieke
Dear Rasmus Larsen,

Great review, but I have a few questions.

Does this tv support full chroma resolution? And could you please say something more about the input lag. Is the input lag below or around 20 ms.

Thanks

Rick
By moparman
Hello :)

How does the shadow detailing in deep black hold up against Panasonic VT20 ?

I guess its better in VT20...But how much ?

Love this site :love:
By tabat666
hey there.

just got this tv today. all in all i am happy with it, but there is one thing that gives me a bad time. the picture just occurs to become black from time to time. I could not figure out the reason for it, because it seems to happen out of nowhere. just as if somebody plugged out the connection to the receiver for half a second and then connect it again.

anybody here who got the same problem??
By sjnnr
Hello everybody,

I recently bought this TV and have to say I'm very content with it!

There's only one issue with it and I don't know if it's normal or not. When the TV is turned off, a high-pitched buzzing sound comes from the top back of the tv. Can anybody who also has this TV check if they have it too? Because if it isn't supposed to be there, I'll go back with it to have it repaired.

It sounds a bit like a constant electric current.

Gr,
John