A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By anthony5362
Hi,

I am now on my 4th ES8000. Each one I keep getting has some issues with it. I finally received one that looks ok and doesn't have any dead pixels or the flashlight issue, but the picture just doesn't look right. I also own the D8000 LED from last year and that one has a way better picture than this one when its supposed to be the opposite.

I used your settings and the picture looked way too washed out. In order for the picture to look decent, I have to have the backlight on 4 and the brightness on 30. The color needs to be on 70. Thats crazy! My D8000 looks great with the backlight on 9 and brightness on 45-47 and color on 50-55. My preset is on movie also and Everything else is the same as you listed on here.

My question is, Can this be another defective TV I received? Its up to date with its firmware. At this point, I really wish I bought another UND8000 from last year and not this piece of junk. I even paid double for this TV than what I paid for the D8000. I can't imagine getting 4 defective TV's in a row. I checked everything over and over and tried all different ways, but either the picture looks washed out, or way too dark.

Any suggestions?
By FoShoBear
For a TV that expencive i still think the clouding is a huge issue, i could never set my mind at rest knowing i paied that much and still have such a non uniform image. Especially with oled around the corner.

Im hoping the top model from LG handles this alot better. Looking forward to that review!
anthony5362 wrote: My question is, Can this be another defective TV I received? Its up to date with its firmware. At this point, I really wish I bought another UND8000 from last year and not this piece of junk. I even paid double for this TV than what I paid for the D8000. I can't imagine getting 4 defective TV's in a row. I checked everything over and over and tried all different ways, but either the picture looks washed out, or way too dark.

Any suggestions?
That definitely sounds strange. This shouldn't happen. We know that Samsung's quality control have been spotty at times but what you are referring to sounds more like a defective panel or controller unit. I know it is hard to believe after the fourth TV and I honestly don't know what to suggest.

You mentioned that your other TVs had other problems? Did you experience the washed out feeling on those, too?
FoShoBear wrote:For a TV that expencive i still think the clouding is a huge issue, i could never set my mind at rest knowing i paied that much and still have such a non uniform image. Especially with oled around the corner.

Im hoping the top model from LG handles this alot better. Looking forward to that review!
Yes, clouding is a big issue, I agree. Manufacturers seem to care little about it but we hope that OLED can change all that. Our sample had almost no clouding, which was great but we hope that buyers will report their findings in this thread in order to create a more nuanced view of the problem in 2012. :)
By anthony5362
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
anthony5362 wrote: My question is, Can this be another defective TV I received? Its up to date with its firmware. At this point, I really wish I bought another UND8000 from last year and not this piece of junk. I even paid double for this TV than what I paid for the D8000. I can't imagine getting 4 defective TV's in a row. I checked everything over and over and tried all different ways, but either the picture looks washed out, or way too dark.

Any suggestions?
That definitely sounds strange. This shouldn't happen. We know that Samsung's quality control have been spotty at times but what you are referring to sounds more like a defective panel or controller unit. I know it is hard to believe after the fourth TV and I honestly don't know what to suggest.

You mentioned that your other TVs had other problems? Did you experience the washed out feeling on those, too?

Thanks for getting back. My very first one had the washed out and the really bad clouding. I posted a video on Youtube when I first bought my first one. It was so horrible that I swapped it out right away for a different one. When I received my second one, there was a Firmware update which I did and it looked ok but still not as good as my D8000 from last year. After a day of having this one, I noticed 2 dead pixels that were really irritating me so I returned this one and bought another one.

The 3rd one I received, I didn't even get a chance to see because this one had the line's of pixels going through it. So i said Ill give it one more shot and now I have this one which doesn't have the clouding like the others did but the picture just looks dull, washed out. I have all your settings except, in order for the picture to look ok, I have to have the Eco on low. The brightness is on 35 and I have the color on 80. Backlight is on 9. and sharpness on 0

This is the only way the picture looks decent. If I shut off the Eco, then the picture gets very bright and washed out. The brightness is already only on 35 and backlight on 9. If I lower it even more then the picture gets way too dark with no detail and lots of artifacts. This sucks because I finally received one that doesn't have the clouding issue but either the picture is washed out or I have to have the setting where its very dim which then you loose detail and whats the point in having an LED. I wish I can still buy a D8000 from last year.

I have been reading a lot of reviews of others that are having issues with their new Samsung TV's. This model and also the lower end models. Ive seen 3 on display at a store that had the vertical and horizontal lines going through them. All Samsung TV's. I still have 2 weeks to return this one, but I don't know if it can just be another defective TV or if this is how they are all going to be. I am thinking about not even buying another Samsung and going with the Panasonic VT50
By xulio
Hello Rasmus,

Many thanks for the review.

In the topic of the LG LM7600 (USA) / LM760T (Europe) review, the member esaho put this question to you:

"Did you test browsing at internet? How TV shows pages with java, flash etc on web pages. Is there a bookmarking feature etc. How easy it is to type/select web address..."

and you reported a bad experience with the browser.

Is the same with the es8000 or there is some improvement here.

Thanks,

Xulio
By jamama
Hello Rasmus,

In your review has not commented on the improvement of new technology micro dimming ultimate. Could you comment and compare the benefits of micro dimming ultimate?

Thanks in advance and please answer.
xulio wrote:Hello Rasmus,

In the topic of the LG LM7600 (USA) / LM760T (Europe) review, the member esaho put this question to you:

"Did you test browsing at internet? How TV shows pages with java, flash etc on web pages. Is there a bookmarking feature etc. How easy it is to type/select web address..."

and you reported a bad experience with the browser.

Is the same with the es8000 or there is some improvement here.
Yes, all browsers in TVs are horrible. Slow, bad html/css support, terrible to use, slow, no proper java and flash etc. This is also true for Samsung. The worst part is when you're trying to input text. It is impossible without a smartphone.
jamama wrote:Hello Rasmus,

In your review has not commented on the improvement of new technology micro dimming ultimate. Could you comment and compare the benefits of micro dimming ultimate?

Thanks in advance and please answer.
You're welcome.

Simply because there is no significant improvement. Don't fall for the marketing talk. As said before, dimming on an edge LED based LCD-TV is impossible :)
Samsung also include some picture circuit improvements in these systems but we do not go through all these. Instead we examine the actual color reproduction, response time etc.

Hope my answer was sufficient.
anthony5362 wrote:
Rasmus Larsen wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks for getting back. My very first one had the washed out and the really bad clouding. I posted a video on Youtube when I first bought my first one. It was so horrible that I swapped it out right away for a different one. When I received my second one, there was a Firmware update which I did and it looked ok but still not as good as my D8000 from last year. After a day of having this one, I noticed 2 dead pixels that were really irritating me so I returned this one and bought another one.

This is a crazy story, and something Samsung needs to care about. I will try to get feedback from more users to see if this is a general thing.
By bguerreiro
Hello,

I exchanged a Sony Bravia KDL40HX853 for the Samsung 40ES8000 has I had found backlight issues on the Sony. However, I find the Samsung to be even worse. After reading this review, I have the impression that I have a very bad item.

Here is the list of the issues I am struggling with:

- Clouding
- Backlight bleed around the edges
- Overdrive trailing (halos around moving object). When watching football, the players and the ball have this issue.
- Voice control works only at times
- Motion control is kind of funny for 10 sec but you quickly understand that it is better to turn it OFF

I have contacted Samsung sending them a few pictures I took and they told me that the issues I was experiencing aren't normal for this model. However, I decided to go for a Panasonic 42GT50 instead. I will have both at the same time and will decide over the weekend if I keep the panasonic or ask a replacement for the Samsung.

Cheers,

Bruno