A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Libertine
Thanks for the review.

Do you know if the lack of the dual core chips of the WT50 would effect input lag or 3D quality in this TV?
By Dugom
Your review rock, but about the 3D, not so much:

"DT50 is not crosstalk-free but it is one of the better active 3D LED models on the market. On the other hand, I do not see a big improvement over last year’s DT30 TV. If you mostly use 3D for gaming, you will notice crosstalk in some games for example."

In fact, Avatar is low parallax, not realy good to test 3D Crosstalk. (Parallaxe is the power of the 3D)

Here is the Crosstalk test pattern of the DT50:

If you can see any R on the pic, well the TV sucks in 3D, however it can only be seen on large parallaxe like PC game and some game console, IMAX films and some good 3D pictures:

Here is what happend on a Panasonic 3D Plasma VT serie with large parallaxe on Skyrim (Game):

Two candlestick, well great 3D? I don't really think so...

"To sum up, my conclusion about 3D is still unchanged. I still believe that passive 3D is the best – and most convenient - solution on a LCD/LED TV and that active 3D should be exclusive for plasma TVs due to their faster response time, and thus lower crosstalk levels. DT50 is not bad be any means but it lacks the ease and convenience introduced by the passive 3D solutions, such as the one in the cheaper Panasonic ET5"

If you had used the pattern you'll not guess but be completely sure of it...

Here is:

Pana VT30 (Plasma):

LG LW4500 (LCD Passive):

Sony HX720 (LCD Active):

Please use the Pattern for Crosstalk...

Here how it works: (Always set in Cinema mode.)

Well this 3DTV really really sucks in 3D and anyway you said:

"And Samsung didn’t let me down. The C8000 has no serious crosstalk issues in the 3D mode and the 3D picture quality and 3D depth is much better than on Samsung’s LCD/LED 3D models. C8000 is also very close to our 3D picture quality reference Panasonic VT20 / VT25 but I feel that Samsung’s plasma TV has marginally more crosstalk than Panasonic.

It might just be my memory - and I didn’t get the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison - but nevertheless, both TVs have very low crosstalk and I think that most people will never notice it. This gives us very good 3D depth and 3D picture quality from Samsung’s C8000.

All in all Samsung C8000 / C7000 gave my pretty good 3D picture quality and the 3D picture is definitely better than on Samsung’s LED/LCD 3D models. C8000 has minimal crosstalk and good 3D depth, and the result was close to that of the Panasonic VT20 / VT25."

Not quite...

Again: Please use the Pattern for Crosstalk. It takes only 5 minutes to get it...

:(
By Libertine
That would be really, really appreciated if the crosstalk tests were used. If that and the brightness in 3D mode were measured, i'd love it! I was trying to accurately gauge the difference in brightness between a passive and active that were right next to each other and i found it hard to do.

The amount of parallax (separation) between the images seems to be increasing in movies i've noticed, and thus crosstalk. In the conversion of John Carpenter, some of the background elements were the highest i'd seen yet, almost causing my eyes to diverge. Thats a good sign since the picture shrinks when you put it on a smaller home screen and so does the 3D dimensionality of images. If 3D is destined to be a niche product as some people predict, then we might as well bump up the parallax to realistic values making for a holodeck like experience, which i see in games.
By ANEWMadrid
Thanks for the review, I notice you didn't mention the 1920 backlight scanning, I found that to be an interesting aspect in the marketing.
Did you leave that feature on or is it always active, and does this contribute to the speedy response times?

Also can you turn off the illumination at the bottom that shows the Panasonic logo?
By Feekh
In the review you mentioned:

"Is DT50 a true contender to LG, Samsung and Sony’s most competitive models in this price range?"

Can you answer this question regarding the latest Samsung tv's or haven't you tested already the 2012th models?
By Rasmus Larsen
Libertine wrote:Thanks for the review.

Do you know if the lack of the dual core chips of the WT50 would effect input lag or 3D quality in this TV?
The dual core chip is for the Smart TV functions - a separate picture chip takes care of picture optimization and processing.
By Rasmus Larsen
Dugom wrote:Your review rock, but about the 3D, not so much:

"DT50 is not crosstalk-free but it is one of the better active 3D LED models on the market. On the other hand, I do not see a big improvement over last year’s DT30 TV. If you mostly use 3D for gaming, you will notice crosstalk in some games for example."

In fact, Avatar is low parallax, not realy good to test 3D Crosstalk. (Parallaxe is the power of the 3D)
Avatar is not used for our 3D testing. I just use it to show you guys some pictures. We have a range of different 3D crosstalk tests, including both theoretical and practical tests. We seldom photograph test pattern because it makes no sense for 99 % of our users. We want to make our reviews advanced but approachable; not only for the 1 % of the most advanced users. I can always elaborate in these discussions threads if you like.

I think it all comes down to how you look at it. You cannot bring out a TV from 2 years ago and start talking about the performance today. We had to compare it to what was available at the market at that time. Also, we cannot use "Perfect" as the benchmark; we also have to consider the market situation. The thing is. Today, every single 3DTV on the market has crosstalk - no exceptions. And as long as we use plasma - and especially LCD - this will be true. But for most users it is a case of "good enough".

I agree with you 100 % that test pattern are better to explain most things - and I use tons of test pattern behind the scenes. What you get in our reviews is the conclusions and some considerations. If we had to post every single test we perform, the review would be 3-4 times longer.
By Rasmus Larsen
ANEWMadrid wrote:Thanks for the review, I notice you didn't mention the 1920 backlight scanning, I found that to be an interesting aspect in the marketing.
Did you leave that feature on or is it always active, and does this contribute to the speedy response times?

Also can you turn off the illumination at the bottom that shows the Panasonic logo?
It is active and I have some shots of it in action. But remember that pretty much any LCD-TV today use a combination of scanning backlights and frame interpolation so it is quite common. And more and more TVs have the scanning backlights activated as default.

It does contribute to less blurring, yes. :)

Not sure about the Panasonic logo, actually. Sorry.
By Rasmus Larsen
Feekh wrote:In the review you mentioned:

"Is DT50 a true contender to LG, Samsung and Sony’s most competitive models in this price range?"

Can you answer this question regarding the latest Samsung tv's or haven't you tested already the 2012th models?
We have just posted the Samsung ES8000 review, and we have Sony, LG and more Panasonics reviews coming up, which should help you answer that question. :)