A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Xenocyde
I understand your test methods are a bit outdated (especially the black level measurement hardware and the delta calibrator software). Maybe you should upgrade the methods for improved measurements. This is a minor concern though.

I was wondering if you had the chance to test this set connected to a PC, with "1080p pure direct" activated. I would like to know if there are text or fine detail artifacts in PC games. Can you compare the color reproduction and black levels for "pure direct" when it is ON and OFF?

Also, the lag you mentioned in your review, is it OK for PC games as well? In Game mode, have you found colors to be correctly reproduced and black levels on par with other modes?

I'm asking this because I want to use the GT50 as a PC monitor.
By Rasmus Larsen
Xenocyde wrote:I understand your test methods are a bit outdated (especially the black level measurement hardware and the delta calibrator software). Maybe you should upgrade the methods for improved measurements. This is a minor concern though.
The very tiny differences in luminance are hard to measure, and only very expensive equipment can do that. But in my opinion, the difference between for example 0.05 or 0.1 cd/m2 black shouldn't be decisive for you decision. When we are approaching these levels, we need to reach perfect blacks to really make it count. The color measurements are perfectly up to date. What do you mean?
Xenocyde wrote: I was wondering if you had the chance to test this set connected to a PC, with "1080p pure direct" activated. I would like to know if there are text or fine detail artifacts in PC games. Can you compare the color reproduction and black levels for "pure direct" when it is ON and OFF?

Also, the lag you mentioned in your review, is it OK for PC games as well? In Game mode, have you found colors to be correctly reproduced and black levels on par with other modes?

I'm asking this because I want to use the GT50 as a PC monitor.
No sorry. I saw you question in the news article yesterday but I have already returned the TV. But besides that, I cannot recommend using it as a PC monitor unless you only want to do it for gaming and movie watching. The TV is still not retention free and if you sit too close you will also notice the dithering patterns in the dark color areas.
However, if you plan to go through you can always just select the 1:1 pixel mapping solution or make your PC HDMI output act as a TV output (with TV grey tone levels).
By Xenocyde
OK, thanks anyway. I was referring to the fact that your delta measuring software seems to be a little obsolete compared to other sites.

I don't think a 2 meters distance is too close. I was interested in finding out if the dithered dark colors still occur when using 1080p pure direct with a PC, which supposedly improves color reproduction. I know about the IR problems, I know plasmas are prone to IR and the desktop wallpapers and static objects may create problems, but I took the necessary precautions to reduce this problem as much as possible: wallpapers changing every minute, no taskbar and only one folder on desktop, internet browsers in full screen and no scrollbars.

I know the GT50 has other problems like line bleed and banding, but I hear it's a panel lottery out there. Anyway, I really want to experience deep blacks in my PC movies and games. Is there any other 42" display that you can recommend, which has blacks as deep as GT50 and color reproduction on par with it, but doesn't cost a fortune like Sharp Elite or Pioneer Elite Kuro and, more importantly, doesn't have banding, blobbing, line bleeding and all these inherent problems?
By jtm79
You say that GT50 dont have anti reflective filter? How is that? I mean i have read that both ST50 and GT50 have ar filter, infact its the same that VT30 used last year. UT50 is the one that doesnt have ar filter.

When are you testing 64E8000
By Rasmus Larsen
Xenocyde wrote:OK, thanks anyway. I was referring to the fact that your delta measuring software seems to be a little obsolete compared to other sites.
Ohh, I see what you mean now. No, that is simply a deliberate choice. I have access to the same software as other sites use but we don't want to make our reviews overly complicated. We are already balancing on a too technical route in my opinion and have actually cut some of the most advanced passages. In the testing and calibration process we use a lot of tools, screens, software and so that we never share. These are just used to validate results before we share them with you.
Xenocyde wrote:I don't think a 2 meters distance is too close. I was interested in finding out if the dithered dark colors still occur when using 1080p pure direct with a PC, which supposedly improves color reproduction. I know about the IR problems, I know plasmas are prone to IR and the desktop wallpapers and static objects may create problems, but I took the necessary precautions to reduce this problem as much as possible: wallpapers changing every minute, no taskbar and only one folder on desktop, internet browsers in full screen and no scrollbars.
Dithering should still occur even with the 1080p pure direct. When I'm talking about dithering, I mean the kind that is inherent to plasma panels. Plasma panels are unable to reproduce the darkest tones and therefore dithering is used to "mix" new colors - regardless of internal picture processing. The only way to prevent that from happening is to either raise the pixel density or increase the sub field drive frequency drastically. But as mentioned, I cannot confirm this, sorry.
Xenocyde wrote:I know the GT50 has other problems like line bleed and banding, but I hear it's a panel lottery out there. Anyway, I really want to experience deep blacks in my PC movies and games. Is there any other 42" display that you can recommend, which has blacks as deep as GT50 and color reproduction on par with it, but doesn't cost a fortune like Sharp Elite or Pioneer Elite Kuro and, more importantly, doesn't have banding, blobbing, line bleeding and all these inherent problems?
No... I started the search process my self many years ago but no single TV or screen to date has satisfied all of these needs. My personal hope is OLED technology and I have been able to confirm these things in the first small-size OLED and studio monitors. Manufacturers just need to ramp up production to lower production costs so we can get these wonders in our hands.
By Rasmus Larsen
jtm79 wrote:You say that GT50 dont have anti reflective filter? How is that? I mean i have read that both ST50 and GT50 have ar filter, infact its the same that VT30 used last year. UT50 is the one that doesnt have ar filter.

When are you testing 64E8000
Ohh, that is a communication glitch on my side. GT50 has a perfectly capable AR filter. My point was that it doesn't utilize the same filter as the one in VT50.
By Xenocyde
OK, thank you for your answers :) I'm also looking forward to seeing how OLEDs fair out. They should be better than anything else in terms of black levels and color reproduction, but I'm also interested in finding the inherent weaknesses, apart from reduced life for the blue and green emitting cells.
By Rasmus Larsen
Xenocyde wrote:OK, thank you for your answers :) I'm also looking forward to seeing how OLEDs fair out. They should be better than anything else in terms of black levels and color reproduction, but I'm also interested in finding the inherent weaknesses, apart from reduced life for the blue and green emitting cells.
Retention... :( But let's how the first OLED-TVs perform before we make any final conclusions.

You're welcome :)
By jlmcr87
Hello Rasmus, I have this TV and I found a little problem . Can you check this?

When I use the media player of the tv only in normal mode blacks are black.
In cinema, thx or professional blacks are like grey or less black. You can see this with your own eyes in a completely dark room. (bug?)
By Xenocyde
Me again :/ About that dithering in GT50. If I sit 2,2 meters away from a 42" GT50, would I be able to detect dithering in dark colors? I understand the dithering is apparent only at close range, but I'm not sure if 2,2 m is OK.
By Xenocyde
jlmcr87 wrote:Hello Rasmus, I have this TV and I found a little problem . Can you check this?

When I use the media player of the tv only in normal mode blacks are black.
In cinema, thx or professional blacks are like grey or less black. You can see this with your own eyes in a completely dark room. (bug?)
Rasmus said he can't check anything since he returned the screen as he came into possession only for review purposes.