A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Stian Aarskaug
Can someone tell the TV makers that we want closest possible to zero input lag, and that real local dimming is far more important than paper thin TV's?

This is very dissapointing and I can't buy a TV like this (and they expect me to pay that much when there is certain things my PC monitor does much, much better without any problems?!). It simply can't do the job, and this is why:

* Input lag is far to high, even 50 ms is too much. Add the receivers input lag and you get a horrible gaming experience! With a Y-HDMI cable you can bypass the receivers input lag but the TV would still ruin the fun. Why can't they bypass the image processing curcuits and get zero input lag? Why do you have to buy a small PC moitor with poor picture quality to get this? It's 2012, remember?

* Real 24p mode is a must. No 3:2 pulldown, give us frame by frame 24 FPS! As far as I know this TV support 24p mode, but this blurring is no good. 24p is probably the most important point in a TV!

* 120 Hz input! They include VGA-input, which nobody uses! Why not include a DVI-input with 120 Hz support, the rest of the TV-hardware support it! The LCD-panel support it! VGA is dead, why would people use that to connect their computers? Most computers have HDMI or DVI, and that's not new!

* Real local dimming! The developement is going in the wrong direction! I don't know any one that care about paper thin TV's, only the TV makers. They're thin enough, now give us real local dimming!

* Image quality could be better! Plasma don't suit my usage (image retention/burn-in, permanent logos/text in games and TV-shows and then there is the black bars in movies), but I haven't seen a TV with as good image quality and matching pricing...

* Smart TV... It's not fast enough! I hate when things don't respond and you have to wait for things to happend! Smart TV is not something I will use, yet. But to be honest, there are more important thing in a TV. I already have got a computer that I connect to my TV.

When you speak to TV makers, can you please explain this to them? Are there any TV maker that are just trying to make a genuinly well made TV, while not sacrificing image quality and such?

Is there any hope left? Do we really have to wait for OLED, or will they ruin that too?

I know I'm being a bit harsh, but it's so frustrating! And when you pay that much you expect a high end TV, not a mid-high end with flaws!

(My English isn't great, but it'll have to do. ;) )
By TwoVideo
First, Thanks Rasmus for the great info.

Second, I support what the previous posted said.
Native 24FPS is a must. It doesn't make sense for any display to be different than the BluRay standard.
Input lag is critical. Video gaming is far more important than browser widgets on TV.
Everyone plays games on their TV.
If you want to stream music/Videos, stream it from the Bluray player.

I would prefer to buy a Display once every few years, and an updated player every year.
Put the toys in the player, not the display.
Again, put SmartTV in the player. Why own a LG TV and an LG player and they do the same thing?

120hz from computer/game sources is a must.

If the goal is to turn a TV into a central unit, Gaming and displaying native Bluray/HD content seems essential.
By Rasmus Larsen
Stian Aarskaug wrote: When you speak to TV makers, can you please explain this to them? Are there any TV maker that are just trying to make a genuinly well made TV, while not sacrificing image quality and such?

Is there any hope left? Do we really have to wait for OLED, or will they ruin that too?
Hi Stian. Great points and I agree with you in most of your views. There are some important areas where TV manufacturers should look to. I often mention it - including in reviews - so we hope they listen.

OLED can eliminate some of these things - including the need for many compensation technologies such as local dimming. We just hope manufacturers utilize the many advantages.
By Rasmus Larsen
TwoVideo wrote: I would prefer to buy a Display once every few years, and an updated player every year.
Put the toys in the player, not the display.
Again, put SmartTV in the player. Why own a LG TV and an LG player and they do the same thing?
Good point but the problem is that manufacturers want to sell new things, continually. So that's just how it is. The whole idea of a "monitor TV" seemed to die a few years ago, sadly.

But we need better Smart TV platforms if manufacturers want us to support this trend. Developing eco systems like the ones we have on smartphones and tablets. Not Smart TV platforms where new things are added on each years model.
By AV-Geek
Why did you chose gamma 2.4?
The ITU recomandation with 2.4 is only for displays that can achieve black levels less than 0.01 cd/m²
And is clear that this TV can not achieve this.
By Rasmus Larsen
AV-Geek wrote:Why did you chose gamma 2.4?
The ITU recomandation with 2.4 is only for displays that can achieve black levels less than 0.01 cd/m²
And is clear that this TV can not achieve this.
I did not change gamma to 2.4 anywhere. Where did you see that?
Do you mean the graph with the Cinema profile measurements? I did not change anything here. That is just how the TV has been set up by LG.

The ITU recommendation is a different story. You can go with 2.4 gamma on any TV but you shouldn't and it has nothing to do with black levels.
By AV-Geek
Sorry wrong review. :(

Now the right question.

Do you by chance know how your serial started? (204 or 205)

The third number describes the production date.

In some forums there exists the rumor, that the may devices are improved.
By Rasmus Larsen
AV-Geek wrote:Do you by chance know how your serial started? (204 or 205)

The third number describes the production date.

In some forums there exists the rumor, that the may devices are improved.
I just looked through my picture in the native resolution but none of them very detailed enough to reveal this. Unfortunately I did not write down this number during the review.
By takaya49
so just bought this tv
gotta say first off what junk pixellation around people when they move to fast if the resolution is high
this is controlled by local dimming which this tv lacks?
so my question is when iI point the control to top of tv it says 1080i and 60hz
why is this?