A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By danma3
In previus reviews of ST60 by for example HDTV test they had no problem pushing the lighoutput to the target 120cd/m2. How comes you didnt pushed it more?
By Rasmus Larsen
I have some more numbers, and have done some of the tests requested in the received article. Will post them soon but we are in Hollywood right now to see Sony's movie studios, and the document is on my main PC.
By bni
Thanks for the great review, looking forward to the VT60 review.

Since "game mode" is now a separate setting not a picture mode, is there any ill effect of having it enable all the time, for example when watching movies?
By ppdrako
Great review ! , Maybe the dithering issue could be minor on the VT60 because It has more steps of gradation ??? and that improvement could help get rid of DFC ( dynamic false contouring ) in some way, too ??? . Thank u .
By tom8760
Thanks for the review. I find your site very informative.

Between 55ST60 and 55GT50 which one would you recommend? Thanks!

PS Or even the LG 55LM7600 which is available for a decent price.
By Rasmus Larsen
danma3 wrote:In previus reviews of ST60 by for example HDTV test they had no problem pushing the lighoutput to the target 120cd/m2. How comes you didnt pushed it more?
Basically, brightness on a plasma panel depends on hwo much of the screen you illuminate. If the entire screen is black and you only use a display a white color in a small window you will get a higher brightness reading in that window compared to a full-screen white. We use our own ANSI test where white is displayed in a window.

Therefore you can theroretically get much higher brightness levels. A plasma panel has a maximum output so to say.

Here are some numbers I promised in the "Panasonic ST60 received" article:

Dymamic profile: 100 % full-screen white = 54 cd/m2 --- window white square = 135 cd/m2 (257 cd/m2 with all-black background)
True Cinema profile: 100 % full-screen white = 56 cd/m2 --- window white square = 97 cd/m2 (106 cd/m2 with all-black background)
By Rasmus Larsen
bni wrote:Thanks for the great review, looking forward to the VT60 review.

Since "game mode" is now a separate setting not a picture mode, is there any ill effect of having it enable all the time, for example when watching movies?
I can provide a general answer that applies to game modes and game settings in general. The reason that most people don't use them all the time is simply that some picture processing is turned off but more importantly color compensation is also often deactivated so colors are often way off.
By Rasmus Larsen
ppdrako wrote:Great review ! , Maybe the dithering issue could be minor on the VT60 because It has more steps of gradation ??? and that improvement could help get rid of DFC ( dynamic false contouring ) in some way, too ??? . Thank u .
The VT60 is online NOW :-)
By Rasmus Larsen
tom8760 wrote:Thanks for the review. I find your site very informative.

Between 55ST60 and 55GT50 which one would you recommend? Thanks!

PS Or even the LG 55LM7600 which is available for a decent price.
I have only tested the ST60 in-depth so far but the VT60 review is online now. Given how relatively close they are I cannot imagine GT60 not being closer to ST60, so I would probably personally go for the ST60 or take the full step up to VT60.

LM7600 is a very different TV with other pros and cons so that is a hard question. I would recommend Panasonic's plasma TVs over that TV any day but it obviously also reflects my priorities in a TV.
By Rasmus Larsen
Ohh yeah, someone also asked about line bleeding and dirty screen. I didn't include these in the review but yes ST60 still has line bleeding and yes the dirty screen effect is still noticeable for a trained eye.
By *Alucard*
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
danma3 wrote:In previus reviews of ST60 by for example HDTV test they had no problem pushing the lighoutput to the target 120cd/m2. How comes you didnt pushed it more?
Basically, brightness on a plasma panel depends on hwo much of the screen you illuminate. If the entire screen is black and you only use a display a white color in a small window you will get a higher brightness reading in that window compared to a full-screen white. We use our own ANSI test where white is displayed in a window.

Therefore you can theroretically get much higher brightness levels. A plasma panel has a maximum output so to say.

Here are some numbers I promised in the "Panasonic ST60 received" article:

Dymamic profile: 100 % full-screen white = 54 cd/m2 --- window white square = 135 cd/m2 (257 cd/m2 with all-black background)
True Cinema profile: 100 % full-screen white = 56 cd/m2 --- window white square = 97 cd/m2 (106 cd/m2 with all-black background)
Thanks for great info.
Whats different between "window white square" and "with all-black background"
By krzysieq
Let's put money aside for a moment as I'm ready to cough up the extra quid to get the gt50 instead of st60. But is it worth it? I'm in the market for a 42" plasma screen for living room with moderate amounts of daylight, but I'll probably be watching TV in the evenings if ever. I watch sports and movies and play on my ps3 casually. Viewing distance would be roughly 3meters. Should I be concerned with buzzing on either of these screens? I'm a bit sensitive to things producing noises that aren't meant to be, I've returned appliances for this reason in my life. Is this something audible all the time when power is on or in standby, or just if volume is turned down to minimum or muted? This is gonna be the first TV for me, so i feel like a virgin on her wedding night ;) I currently use an asus 22" pc screen for any home video entertainment, so any help will be appreciated :)
By RiQ
Hi

I have one problem with my 50ST60. Everything is great (design, materials, contrast, rich colours, black deep) except one thing...

When I watch mkv movie (pendrive or HDD connected via USB) sometimes video material freeze byt sound is OK.

Then video starts, but is not in-line with sound. I have to forward or rewind movie to align it.

Is it normal? When I watch it via Samsung bluray's USB everything is OK.

Best regards

Michal
By Rasmus Larsen
*Alucard* wrote: Thanks for great info.
Whats different between "window white square" and "with all-black background"
Brightness levels on a plasma panel depends on the content on-screen. So, if you have have a 100 % white full-screen image on a plasma TV the brightness level will be significantly lower (as white is the most power consuming color tone) than if you show a black background with white box in the center.

In other words, the brightness level on plasma TVs depend heavily on the content. In our reviews we measure brightness in a small window with a nature background to imitate a typical viewing situation.