A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
Rasmus Larsen wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 22:12
Ben Ong wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 15:38 Hi,

I saw that you are saying Dolby Vision IQ was implemented in C9, may i know which function is that? does c9 has ambient light sensor?
We don't have access to an LG C9 at this time but as far as I recall it's part of the "AI Brightness" system.

Most mid-range and high-end TV from the past 10-15 years has a built-in ambient light sensor. In the past, it's been used for SDR. The new development is that it's now used for HDR, too. The next step (for future TVs) will be more advanced sensors (and multiple sensors) that can also determine ambient "color temperature" and more.
i see, i was worried that this AI Brightness will screw up the Picture Quality so i leave it off. But i dont think in Dolby Vision mode, we are able to switch on the AI Brightness.
Ben Ong wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 20:06 i see, i was worried that this AI Brightness will screw up the Picture Quality so i leave it off. But i dont think in Dolby Vision mode, we are able to switch on the AI Brightness.
Perhaps just the ambient sensor then.

LG's engineers talked about the implementation back in the spring of 2019. Like the 2020 models, the 2019 models use an LG-developed system for SDR, PQ and HLG whereas Dolby Vision relies on Dolby's system. So I asked them about what has changed in the 2020 models and they confirmed that it's the same implementation - now with an official name.
Also worth noting that we got LG CX to decode an AV1 video clip - although a low-res version since that was all we had available at this time.

LG has confirmed AV1 hardware decoding support for the 8K models only but it would appear that the 4K models also have some level of support (at least CX).