Philips quits TV production
Philips to stop own production of flat panel TVs

18 Apr 2011 | Rasmus Larsen |

Disappointing economic performance forces Dutch Philips to drop its own production of flat panel TVs. TV production will be shifted into a joint venture with TPV Technology, in which Philips will hold a stake of 30 %, Bloomberg News reports.

Philips to stop TV production

The company's CEO, Frans van Houten, has been struggling with the TV business since he joined Philips. For 10 years Philips has tried to improve profitability of their TV division without luck.

Philips 2011 TVs
Philips to stop production of TVs


Bloomberg says that Philips will sell the TV division to TPV Technology, which will continue to produce TVs under the Philips brand. TPV will have a 70% stake in the new joint venture company and Philips will own the remaining 30%. In addition, Philips will receive royalties for every TV sold.
Philips also sold their PC monitor business some time ago and a few years back they quit their LCD panel production joint venture partnership with LG.

We are not sure what Philips plans to do with their 2011 line-up at this point.

Philips just reported their financial results. Europe's largest electronics manufacturer disappointed the market with a net profit of 137 million Euro in the first quarter. Analysts had expected 165 million Euro.

Van Houten said, according to Bloomberg News, that Philips expects a tough 2011, partly because of the Japanese earthquake.

Update: See Bloomberg's interview with Philips CEO below.



Source: Bloomberg



Share on:


Latest news

UEFA.tv

UEFA debuts free streaming service UEFA.tv

14 Jun 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |
Sony A9G OLED

Sony A9G OLED wins 'King of TV' at 2019 TV Shootout

13 Jun 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |
The Wall Luxury

Samsung will launch 'The Wall Luxury' microLED displays in July

13 Jun 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |
Xbox

Next-gen Xbox console will have a disc drive

12 Jun 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |
Sony A8G

Sony 2019 A9G and A8G OLED TVs now available

11 Jun 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |
Iron Man

All Marvel Cinematic Universe films will be remastered in 4K

10 Jun 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |
Project Scarlett

Next-gen Xbox: 8K graphics, 120fps, SSD & ray-tracing - launching in 2020

10 Jun 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |
Batman

WarnerMedia streaming service likely to be more expensive than Netflix, Disney+

07 Jun 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |