Roku has announced a wireless subwoofer as well as a soundbar powered by RokuOS, which effectively replaces the need for a Roku media box. Both are priced at $180.
New Roku audio products
At IFA 2019, Roku confirmed that it is entering Europe starting with the UK later this year. The company will also expand its line-up of TV audio products.
The new 'Roku Smart Soundbar' is a 2.0-channel soundbar. From an audio perspective is a very basic product with HDMI ARC, Bluetooth, and support for basic-level audio formats. However, it also comes with the full RokuOS platform built-in, giving users access to streaming services in up to 4K HDR. In that sense it effectively replaces the need for a separate Roku media box.
- "The Roku Smart Soundbar is a great value and makes it easier than ever to add incredible sound and powerful streaming to any TV. In addition, if you want heart-pounding bass you can easily add that too," said Mark Ely, VP of Players & Whole Home Product, Roku
Of course, this is not an entirely new concept. JBL recently launched a soundbar with built-in Android TV. At IFA, Amazon announced a soundbar with built-in FireTV.
In addition, Roku is adding a 10-inch 'Wireless Subwoofer' to its line-up. It can be connected wirelessly to Roku's soundbar and the 'Wireless Speakers' that were announced last year, following a firmware update. The wireless system relies on the company's own Connect platform, which is based on technology developed by Danish company Dynastrom.
Roku's new soundbar and subwoofer will each be priced at $180 dollars. They will start shipping in the US in October. More information can be found on roku.com.
Roku Smart Soundbar - highlighted features
- Speakers: Four 2.5" full range drivers
- Audio Formats (ARC and Optical): PCM, Dolby Audio
- Sound Modes: Normal, Reduce bass, Bass boost, Bass off
- Roku Connect: A wireless protocol that seamlessly connects the Roku ecosystem
- Dolby Audio: Delivers rich, clear, powerful sound
- Bluetooth: Listen to your favorite music, podcasts, and more from popular streaming channels or Bluetooth compatible devices
- HDMI ARC or Optical Support: Connect the Roku Smart Soundbar to a TV with a single cable via - HDMI ARC or use HDMI and Optical
- Roku Search: Fast and easy cross-channel search offers results ranked by price
- Roku Voice: Makes it easy to launch streaming channels, search for entertainment, replay, turn closed captions on and off and more through the Roku Voice Remote
- Voice Assistant Compatibility: The Roku Smart Soundbar works with Google Assistant and is compatible with Amazon Alexa-enabled devices
- Roku Voice remote: The point-anywhere remote features channel shortcut buttons and TV on/off buttons