Dolby Atmos for movie night. AirPlay 2 and Chromecast for music listening. JBL's new Bar 9.1 will be available in spring 2020 for $1000 / €1000.
JBL's first Dolby Atmos soundbar
JBL is expanding its line-up of soundbars by adding Bar 9.1 to the top of its range. It is the company's first soundbar with Dolby Atmos support, promising to deliver a more encompassing audio experience through a few neat tricks.
The soundbar has up-firing units built-in as well as two detachable, battery-powered speakers that can be used as rear speakers when watching movies or TV series in surround sound or Dolby Atmos. JBL says that the detachable speakers offer 10 hours of playback. The full package delivers a total of 820W from speakers and the wireless subwoofer.
- "The Bar 9.1 is the first JBL soundbar with Dolby Atmos built-in to deliver the ultimate cinematic atmosphere. Listeners will almost feel the helicopters circling over their favorite action star thanks to four upward-facing Dolby Atmos drivers. These custom drivers literally take sound to new heights by using room reflections to bounce audio from all angles, while the two battery-powered detachable, wireless rear speakers shoot sound off to the ceiling and back down, creating a 3D listening experience like no other," the company proclaimed.
AirPlay 2 and Chromecast
In addition, the soundbar has built-in Apple AirPlay 2 and Google Chromecast, two WiFi-based audio protocols that let users stream music over the internet. In addition, AirPlay 2 lets you connect the soundbar to Apple TV for wireless TV audio. It also supports Bluetooth.
With Dolby Atmos, JBL is following in the footsteps of other companies that have launched Atmos-capable soundbars in recent years. Atmos content is available on Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray as well as on streaming services such as Apple iTunes and Netflix. The soundbar lacks support for the competing DTS:X format.
Also read: 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) & Dolby Atmos movies on iTunes
The JBL Bar 9.1 will be available in Spring 2020 for $1000 / €1000.
JBL Bar 9.1 - highlights
- The ultimate cinematic experience: Creates an immersive sound experience with upward-firing drivers, detachable wireless surround speakers and 9.1 channels from the combined audio expertise of JBL and Dolby.
- Detachable speakers that go anywhere: Built-in batteries mean audio freedom. Place the two detachable surround speakers anywhere in a room to enjoy an incredible audio experience. After 10 hours of playback, simply dock them to the soundbar to recharge.
- 10-inch wireless powered subwoofer: Enjoy theater quality bass reinforcement to enhance the movie experience.
- Built-in Chromecast and Airplay 2: Stream high-resolution music straight to the soundbar.
- Wireless Bluetooth streaming: Wirelessly connect smart devices to the soundbar and take turns enjoying powerful sound.