Apple TV+ will be free a little longer for those customers who activated their free one year trial after the purchase of Apple hardware, according to TechCrunch.
Apple TV+ free trial
When Apple TV+ was launched the company included a free one year trial with the purchase of a new Apple TV box, iPhone, iPad and some other devices. That free trial will be extended to February 2021.
That is good news for subscribers but is it good news for Apple TV+? The service is turning one very soon so it is still too early to jump to conclusions. It has a few popular movies and shows such as Ted Lasso, Greyhound, and The Morning Show, but the library is still very small as compared to Netflix.
Ted Lasso on Apple TV+
The company portrays it as a gift to get through a tough winter with many restrictions due to the coronavirus. Production on many Apple TV+ shows has been delayed and the company had most likely originally planned to debut season two of multiple shows in late 2020 rather than in 2021.
- "We are working to get restarted, but there will be some impact," Apple CEO Tim Cook said on the last quarterly earnings call with reference to production of shows.
Also read: Apple TV+ in 2020 & 2021: Nature documentaries, movies, sci-fi series, more
Perhaps it is also an indication of some Apple TV+ announcement soon to come. Apple's next event is scheduled for October 13.
Apple TV+ free trial extension
How it works according to TechCrunch who has been briefed on the matter by Apple:
- If your Apple TV+ subscription ends on November 1, 2020 through January 31 of 2021 Apple is extending the free year to your sub date in February of 2021.
- This means that the yearly subscriber extension applies to people who subbed prior to January 31, 2020.
- As an example, if your sub was set to end November 15th 2020 then your first billing date would now be February 15th, 2020.
- If people signed up for yearly subs without a new device purchase during that same date period they will also get free through February 2021.
- If you have signed up for a monthly subscription before November 1st, 2020, you’ll get a $4.99 credit per month.
- The new device program where you get a year free will still continue.
- Customers will get emails about this.