Sony has been hard at work updating its HDMI 2.1-enabled TVs to coincide with the launch of PlayStation 5. A firmware update is now rolling out to the ZG9/Z9G 8K TVs to enable 4K120.
4K120 with PS5
Sony's first 8K TVs from 2019 are now compatible with PlayStation 5's HDMI 2.1 output and 4K120 (4K at 120fps). The PS5 game must also offer a 120fps performance mode.
Firmware v6.4960 is rolling out now in Europe and the changelog notes that it "enables 4K-120Hz signal support for PS5 (ZG9 model)". The firmware should also reach North America in short order.
Furthermore, the firmware introduces the Apple TV app with Apple TV+, iTunes movies, and channels. Not only on ZG9/Z9G but also other Sony TVs from the 2020, 2019, and 2018 generations.
And there is a bunch of bug and performance fixed included too. Full changelog below.
Sony has said that a future system update will enable PS5 to output in 8K. It is unclear if ZG9/Z9G will require an additional firmware update to support PS5's future 8K output mode.
If you are not seeing the new firmware from the TV's built-in menu, you can download it manually onto a USB drive from Sony's support page (v6.4960 - Europe).
Sony ZG9/Z9G - HDMI 2.1 4K120 update
Firmware update to v6.4960:
- Improves the User interface of the following items (unifying applicable 2018, 2019 and 2020 models):
-- Help Screen
-- TV and notification menus
-- Recorded title list
-- Channel set-up
-- Visual explanation of the Picture settings
- Extended support for voice commands
- Enables 4K-120Hz signal support for PS5™ (ZG9 model)
- Introduces Apple TV app
- Introduces a new parental control function that can limit viewing time
- Introduces an automatic addition of frequently used apps/settings to the Input menu and Quick Settings
- Adds accessibility shortcuts to Quick Settings
- Introduces YouView application for UK (only) 2018 & 2019 models (already available on applicable 2020 models)
- Improves the usability of HDMI connected devices
- Enables set top box operation with the supplied TV remote control (2018 and 2019 models - already available on applicable 2020 models; availability depending on region and model)
- Resolves an issue where channels switch by themselves after changing the channel order
- Resolves an issue of no sound from the optical out after AC reset
- Resolves an issue on OLED models where the screensaver is sometimes activated while watching HbbTV content
- Resolves a network error issue caused by an incorrect system time setting
- Resolves an issue where Dolby Atmos sound is sometimes distorted
- Resolves an issue where the default DNS would always be set to a specific value
- Resolves an issue in the Netherlands where teletext would not launch or would disappear
- Improves the compatibility with CA Modules used in pay TV services (2018 and 2019 models)
- Resolves an issue of intermittent sound drops in sound bars connected via HDMI ARC while watching content in streaming apps
- Resolves an issue where the video freezes briefly while watching content in streaming apps