When Disney+ adds a new Star section for the mature audience in February 2021, it will also increase its price in Europe, Canada, Australia and other markets. The price is also going up in the US.
Disney+ with Star
Besides the Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic sections of Disney+ you will, starting February 23, 2021, have access to Star section. At least if you are outside the US where Hulu will continue to operate alongside Disney+.
- "The Star brand will serve as home to thousands of hours of television and movies from Disney’s creative studios, including Disney Television Studios, FX, 20th Century Studios, 20th Television, and more, enhanced by the addition of local programming from the regions where available," the company announced at its Investor Day.
The new Star section is intended for the mature audience and parents will be given tools to restrict access, including a PIN code tool. There will be over 1000 movies, series, and TV shows available from within the Star section. The company is also planning to offer local content under Star but we will have to wait for more details. "Star will offer approximately 50 local originals each year, by FY24", the company said.
Disney+ is making content available to stream in up to 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Many movies from 20th Century Studios have already been prepared in the higher video/audio quality.
Disney said that Star will be an integrated part of Disney+ and that it will roll out to all of its Disney+ markets outside the US over time. The first markets to get access to Star on Disney+ are listed in the table below. In Latin America, Disney will launch a separate Star+ service.
On the same date, Disney+ will increase its monthly and annual subscription price across Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and some other regions as outlined below. The price will also increase in the US.
Disney+ from February 23, 2021
Disney+ with Star brings subscribers:
- A Single Entertainment Destination for All Audiences: All the content, including movies, shows, shorts, and originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, plus an additional 1000 unique titles under the new Star brand in the first year.
- Exclusive Originals: Over the next few years, Disney+ plans to add over 60 brand new originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Star, along with local productions being created for the service under the Star brand geared towards a more mature audience.
- Robust Parental Controls: To keep Disney+ suitable for audiences of all ages and the experience parents expect, new parental controls will include the ability to set limits on access to content for specific profiles based on content ratings and the ability to add a PIN to lock profiles with access to mature content.
Pricing for Disney+ as of February 23, 2021:
• Canada: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual
• Australia: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual
• New Zealand: $12.99/month or $129.99/annual
• UK: £7.99/month or £79.90/annual
• Euro: 8.99/month or 89.90/annual
• Norway: 89.00kr/month or 890.00kr/annual
• Denmark: 79.00kr/month or 790.00kr/annual
• Sweden: 89.00 kr/month or 890.00 kr/annual
• Switzerland: CHF12.90/month or CHF129.00/annual
• Singapore: $11.98/month or $119.98/annual
• Beginning March 26, 2021, Disney+ will be priced in the U.S. at $7.99 per month or $79.99 per year, while the Disney Bundle with Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ will be priced at $13.99 per month