Nvidia Shield owners can now use the PlayStation 5's DualSense controller and the Xbox Series X/S controller to play Android and GeForce Now games.
Improved controller support
Nvidia keeps improving the Shield TV box through software updates. The latest update (version 8.2.2) is rolling out now with improved support for game controllers.
- "Connect next-gen console controllers to your Shield and enjoy playing Android or GeForce Now gaming with your favorite controller. To begin, start Bluetooth pairing on your Shield and start pairing mode on your controller," said Nvidia.
To put Sony's DualSense into pairing mode hold the PlayStation and Share buttons until the light starts to pulse blue. To put the Xbox Series X/S controller into pairing mode hold the pairing button until the Xbox buttons starts to blink.
PlayStation 5 DualSense controller (left) and Xbox Series X controller (right)
Still running Android 9
The update also brings support for Control4 home automation to Shield along with the Android December 2020 security patch, improved IR support with Denon receivers, and bug fixes.
Also read: Review: Nvidia Shield 2019
Nvidia Shield is on the other hand still running Android 9 from 2018. The company has yet to comment officially on its plans for Android 10 and 11. The latter brings official support for Nintendo's Switch Pro controller (Bluetooth and USB), Valve's Steam controller (USB), and possibly other controllers.
Pair New DualSense or Xbox Series X/S controller to Shield
Connect next-gen console controllers to your Shield and enjoy playing Android or GeForce Now gaming with your favorite controller. To begin, start Bluetooth pairing on your Shield and start pairing mode on your controller.
- DualSense: Hold PlayStation and Share/Clip button until light pulses blue.
- Xbox Series X/S: Hold the pairing button until the Xbox button blinks.
Shield TV now supports Control4 home automation systems
- Use your Control4 remote or app to navigate your Shield and even directly launch installed apps. Contact your certified Control4 installer to add your Shield today.
- Includes Android security patch level December 2020
- Improved IR volume control behavior with Shield Remote 2019 with Denon receivers
- Additional bug fixes