Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation Store on PS3, Vita, and PSP will close in July/August. Users will still be able to access purchased content but no longer be able to purchase new games or video.
Affects games and video
Is it safe to buy all your content from a digital store? Perhaps – time will tell – but Sony's latest move is not very reassuring. PlayStation 3, which was launched in 2006 and sold until 2017, will lose its digital store this summer.
- "We are closing PlayStation Store on PlayStation 3 consoles on 2nd July 2021 and on PlayStation Vita devices on 27th August 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP (PlayStation Portable) will also retire on 2nd July 2021," announced Sony.
The PlayStation Store will close on PS3, PSP, and PS Vita
The closure will affect PS3 games and video/media content.
Sony said that users will still be able to re-download previously purchased games and videos from the 'Download List' on the device, but did the company did not say for how long.
The company has published a FAQ page with more details here.
FAQ: PS3, PS Vita & PSP PlayStation Store closure
What features can I use after the closure of PlayStation Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices?
Features you will still be able to access:
- You will still be able to re-download and play previously purchased game titles.
- You will still be able to access previously purchased video/media content.
- You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers.
- You will still be able to re-download and play claimed game titles through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.
Features you will lose access to:
- You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.
- You will no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.
- You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita or PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close. Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.