Portrait Displays has released new Calman 2021 software for TV and monitor calibration. It features support for 2021 LG TVs, a new 'Aurora Color Engine', and more.
Calman 2021 software
Calman is one of the most popular software solutions for display calibration, and the 2021 version includes various new features. The full changelog has been included at the bottom.
- "The Aurora Color Engine is the biggest upgrade to Calman since AutoCal," said Tyler Pruitt, Technical Evangelist at Portrait Displays. "We’re very happy to be the ones able to offer Calman users the latest in color technology time and time again."
To get started you need the Calman software, a supported meter (for measurements on the display), and a pattern generator (to generate the test patterns required); either an external generator or the built-in patterns in supported TVs.
A meter measures the display and sends input to the Calman software
Auto-calibration of TVs
In recent years, an increasing number of high-end TVs have gained support for Calman AutoCal. The automated calibration process makes it easier and faster to calibrate TVs. Look for TV models that are 'Calman Ready'.
Also read: High-end Philips 2021 OLED & LCD TVs to support Calman auto-calibration
Calman's 2021 update adds AutoCal support for 2021 LG TVs in addition to support for 2020 and earlier LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic TVs. Support for 2021 TVs from other brands is expected to roll out later.
For consumers, Calman Home is available in separate versions for LG, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony TVs; each version for $145. The full Calman Ultimate software package, intended for professionals, is available for $2,995.
Calman 2021 - changelog
- Added Aurora Color Engine support. Details included below (all license levels with 3D LUT Support)
- Added new Pattern Insertion option that will insert a patch based on patch count for panel measurement temperature stabilization (under Application Measurement Options)
- Added Calman Ready AutoCal support for LG 2021 Series TVs (Alpha 9 G4 OLED C1, G1, M1, R1, Z1, LCD QNED99, QNED95, NANO99, NANO95)
- Added Pattern Generator support for LG 2021 series TVs (Alpha 9)
- Added Calman Ready AutoCal support for LG PRO OLED Studio TVs
- Added new ASUS HDR Monitor Calibration workflow
- Added ability to lock design mode on custom workflows
- Sorted Display Specific EDRs for the C6 to be separated from Generic EDR listings. All the display specific EDRs are at the bottom of the list
- New C6 EDRs include Samsung QLED 2020, OLED TV 2019, 2020, 2021, Apple iPhone OLED, iPad Pro 2018 2020, Dell UP3221Q, LG HU810/AU810 Laser PJ, FSI XM311K, Sony BVM-HX310
Aurora Color Engine Details:
- Completely new color engine built from the ground up using the latest color science research
- Next generation Unity Grayscale technology for 3D LUT neutral spline bypass when using a 1D LUT + 3D LUT for calibration
- New 3D LUT technology reduces or eliminates posterization and banding
- Improved MatrixLUT formula for calibration
- Added new 13pt fixed grid option patch set
- Support for these patchsets: (MatrixLUT, LightningLUT, Fixed Grid 9pt, 13pt, 17pt, 21pt) IRP is not supported
Aurora Color Engine Supported Displays:
- LG Supported displays (Calman display selections): 2018 Alpha 9 C8, E8, G8, W8, 2019 Alpha 7 G2 NanoCell, 2019 Alpha 7 OLED B9, 2019 Alpha 9 G2 OLED R9 Z9 W9 W9S E9 C9 NanoCell SM99, 2020 Alpha 7 G3 OLED BX, LCD NANO090 NANO085, 2020 Alpha 9 G3 OLED CX GX WX ZX, LCD NANO99 NANO097 NANO095, 2021 Alpha 9 G4 OLED C1, G1, M1, R1, Z1, LCD QNED99, QNED95, NANO99, NANO95, LG PRO OLED
- Dell supported displays (Calman display selections): Dell – UltraSharp UP3221Q 3D LUT (USB) (SDR/HDR)
- Asus supported displays (Calman display selections): Asus – ProArt Monitors 3D LUT (SDR/HDR when supported by display)
- BenQ supported displays (Calman display selections): BenQ – PV270/SW270C/SW271C/SW321C (SDR)
- Fixed Beta reported issue removed automated source settings to prevent overwriting user source settings when progressing through Samsung Autocal or any home AutoCal workflow
- Fixed Beta reported issue going backwards (Clicking “BACK”) from some Home workflow pages will make the some previous pages charts/data disappear
- Fixed Beta reported issue of some files not being updated when upgrading from Calman 2020 R2
- Fixed Beta reported issue where FILMMAKER and FILMMAKER HDR modes were not set correctly for LG 2021 A9 displays
- Fixed Beta reported issue with LG LCD SDR calibration recommendation. Workflow and guide updated to suggest full screen pattern window
- Fixed Beta reported issue for LG workflow SDR targets being incorrect
- Fixed compatibility issue with Photo Research PR-788 introduced with latest FW update
- Fixed issue where Save Prompt appeared behind pattern window
- Display Specific professional workflows now default to DEITP AutoCal formula
- Fixed critical failure on Dell UP3221Q SDR calibrations
- Fixed connection issues for LG TV’s on non-english devices
- Dell UP3221Q calibration for SDR Presets S5 and S6 will show an error message pop up after completing. The data is uploaded correctly, but if s5 and s6 are included in a larger sequence, the error will stop the sequence